Isn't Guns N' Roses more of a brand than a band?

doakes

I don't see the point anymore in officially announcing "this guy's in" or "this guy's out."

I feel it's asinine to keep re-recording the unheard material, just to keep it up to date with the current touring lineup.

Why don't they use "members" past and present more so as studio musicians or contributors and credit them individually as such. (ie Dave Navarro, Gary Sunshine)

As opposed to calling it a traditional band, and having guys waiting around to make music, fielding

questions on new releases--- Just call in whoever as needed (Brian May)

No need for permanent members if they aren't releasing their music.

• Like 2

I don't see the point anymore in officially announcing "this guy's in" or "this guy's out."

I feel it's asinine to keep re-recording the unheard material, just to keep it up to date with the current touring lineup.

Why don't they use "members" past and present more so as studio musicians or contributors and credit them individually as such. (ie Dave Navarro, Gary Sunshine)

As opposed to calling it a traditional band, and having guys waiting around to make music, fielding

questions on new releases--- Just call in whoever as needed (Brian May)

No need for permanent members if they aren't releasing their music.

Hey, this is a good thread. Witty title and interesting subject.

Ever since Get In The Ring, I always had this idea of Guns being a circus with Axl as the ringmaster.

To be honest, I trust Axl's judgement when it comes to GN'R, and I am open to any input from any musicians anywhere for future releases.

I like the whole random set up they have, it makes it more exciting. But, there needs to be more album releases.

Well, it is... It's been functioning like that for some time now... its just that Axl doesn't talk openly about it, but if you remember that huge concert in Germany in 2006, which was televised, the way the credits were shown before the concert started, band members names made it obvious that Axl is the only star and main attraction of the band.

I don't think it's wrong to see it that way. Guns N' Roses stopped being a band to become a company when they got their first record deal and sold millions and millions of albums. It is a corporation now and with most original members out of it, the brand and legacy it is all that is left.

• Like 1

It became a money machine in 2009.

No, it became a money machine when AFD was released.

The money now is with touring rather than album releases, it is just a sign of the times.

I seriously doubt they released AFD to make money. AFD made them famous and rich but they were not doing it to be famous and rich. I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Difference with the last 5 years is that they're currently doing what they're doing for money only. I mean, from a business perspective, I don't see any problem with it. I would do the same if I were in the position to control the band's decisions.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

It became a money machine in 2009.

No, it became a money machine when AFD was released.

The money now is with touring rather than album releases, it is just a sign of the times.

I seriously doubt they released AFD to make money. AFD made them famous and rich but they were not doing it to be famous and rich. I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Difference with the last 5 years is that they're currently doing what they're doing for money only. I mean, from a business perspective, I don't see any problem with it. I would do the same if I were in the position to control the band's decisions.

It is only when you have money, that it isn't about the money

• Like 2

so, they knew AFD would sell millions of copies before relasing it?

I imagine Axl writing Sweet Child O' Mine and thinking the millions of dollars they would make for it. :lol:

If it isn't about money then what it is about? I would like to know.

• Like 1

so, they knew AFD would sell millions of copies before relasing it?

I imagine Axl writing Sweet Child O' Mine and thinking the millions of dollars they would make for it. :lol:

If it isn't about money then what it is about? I would like to know.

I do not know. It was you that said it was not about the money :)

• Like 1

I do not know. It was you that said it was not about the money :)

You should, though, because I only said that when they first started. You, however, said that "it's only when you have money, that isn't about the money" - my question was related to that. What is it about then? Please, explain.