Isn't Guns N' Roses more of a brand than a band?

doakes

It became a money machine in 2009.

No, it became a money machine when AFD was released.

The money now is with touring rather than album releases, it is just a sign of the times.

I seriously doubt they released AFD to make money. AFD made them famous and rich but they were not doing it to be famous and rich. I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Difference with the last 5 years is that they're currently doing what they're doing for money only. I mean, from a business perspective, I don't see any problem with it. I would do the same if I were in the position to control the band's decisions.

It is only when you have money, that it isn't about the money

What people are intending to say is GNR 1987 was about making good music (and money/fame was just incidental), whereas GNR 2014 has the same ambitions as a hedge fund.

i suppose GNR is a brand... with precious few products given the time its been around.

by in large it will ALWAYS ride in on the 86-94 lineups material. Be associated and ultimately remembered by it... AND Its failure as a corporation to release new music BEFORE the 1990's were done was perhaps one the most ignorant ass backwards moves on anyones part associated with the industry.

more or less it appears that no one give a shit who rides for the brand anymore... people dont idenitfy with this band... the kids of today relate to it like it was dads music..As long as Axl is up there doing his thing and singing the classics.. people will buy a ticket

• Like 2

The name and Axl singing those old songs people will pay to go to see. I doubt Axl Rose solo would headline RIR.

To me Axls best job is as the GNR singer. He didn't write all those songs or the new CD songs but I still think it's best for everyone he's lead singer of GNR. If you can get SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Prostitute type stuff from it then its a fair trade.

What people are intending to say is GNR 1987 was about making good music (and money/fame was just incidental), whereas GNR 2014 has the same ambitions as a hedge fund.

GN'R 1987 was about breaking into the music business and make a living of it. Otherwise, Axl and Co. would have never tattooed themselves as there is no tomorrow, style themselves as rockstars and focus their entire life into becoming the next big band. They would have stuck to a 9-5 regular job and play in a band as a side project, like many people that I know, like many of my co-workers whose dream of being famous musicians is just a dream.

I dont believe in "accidental fame", that is UTTER BULLSHIT. When you want something, you give your life to it and it will eventually pay off. Axl, Slash, Duff, etc.. they all KNEW from starters that they didn't want to spend their lives in an office. They knew from day one they wanted to be professional musicians, so when they released Appetite For Destruction, that was not an album to distribute among friends and families. It was a record deal, there was a record company behind, there was the promise of SELLING as many albums as they could and keep themselves in the industry.

Whoever sees art as a charity org and think artists should not make money out of it, I really hope they lose their job forever and see what is like to not have a dime in the pockets.

If he wanted money Axl'd do a reunion?

Correction:

If he wanted more money.

He's still making money with his current band. A reunion will generate more money, yes, but what does that mean? It means Axl not being bitter and angry at Slash over things that happened years ago. That's never gonna happen. The butthurt is there to stay, forever.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Yeah, I'm glad someone who is not dumb gets it.

Ultimately it was the easy money and how fast it happened that ended up going to their heads. Some of them were killing themselves with drugs and alcohol, while others became power hungry and wanted to control everything.

I wish some of them - if not all - would have foreseen most of the events of the success of the old band. Things would have been a bit different. :shrugs:

I dont believe in "accidental fame", that is UTTER BULLSHIT.

Tell that to the thousands of overnight, YouTube sensations.

Correction:

If he wanted more money.

He's still making money with his current band. A reunion will generate more money, yes, but what does that mean? It means Axl not being bitter and angry at Slash over things that happened years ago. That's never gonna happen. The butthurt is there to stay, forever.

It's not just about making money though which is what I replied to. If money was the focus a reunion would be the way to go. I'm not saying the reasons to carry on as GNR are noble or clear but it's not just the money. Staying home would break even. People just make too big a deal of the name.

It's the battle of the butthurt for sure. I doubt Slash left GNR lightly so he must have a little ass pain too. Axl probably loses his mind if the Dairy Queen delivery melts on the way so Im guessing he's winning in the butthurt bowling league.

But yeah it's not the money, it's the ego, butthurt and personal freedom to put out music as GNR. That's his legal right in a free country, not to be told by anyone what he can do.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Correction:

If he wanted more money.

It's the battle of the butthurt for sure. I doubt Slash left GNR lightly so he must have a little ass pain too. Axl probably loses his mind if the Dairy Queen delivery melts on the way

:rofl-lol:

The Appetite or vintage GnR logo isn't as trendy to wear like a Joy Division or Nirvana shirt and people still know about their music, so I'd say they're still on the band side of things.

The day Axl retires, it'll definitely just be a brand though.

Correction:

If he wanted more money.

It's not just about making money though which is what I replied to. If money was the focus a reunion would be the way to go. I'm not saying the reasons to carry on as GNR are noble or clear but it's not just the money. Staying home would break even. People just make too big a deal of the name.

It's the battle of the butthurt for sure. I doubt Slash left GNR lightly so he must have a little ass pain too. Axl probably loses his mind if the Dairy Queen delivery melts on the way so Im guessing he's winning in the butthurt bowling league.

But yeah it's not the money, it's the ego, butthurt and personal freedom to put out music as GNR. That's his legal right in a free country, not to be told by anyone what he can do.

You're missing the point. If Axl is currently making good money, which I believe he is, with his yes-men band, then why would he go back to the place where people actually questioned his actions and decisions just for the sake of more money? 100 million or 70 million are basically the same in general terms: A lot of fucking money, no? I would of course, want 100 million instead of 70, but if to get the 100 million I have to talk to the person I hate the most, I would definitely say: "No, thank you. I'm already making good cash with what I have." That's my point.

If the current band wasn't all about the money now, then the band wouldn't have a tag price to play private weddings. I couldn't care less about the name, Axl did his thing and it's obvious that he just wants money now. I think there was a time he wanted something else for his future, other than playing SCOM for the rest of his life.

You're right. For years, Slash was bitter about the break-up. Didn't he say in his book that he cried or wanted to kill himself or some shit like that? He was furious but now that's just the past, while Axl is still suck in the late 90s. Hating everyone who doesn't praise him 24/7.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense. Axl fought for the personal freedom to put out music as "Guns N' Roses", but Axl has put out one album of original material in 17 years. That's what he was fighting for? That's why he worked so hard to rebuild what it was - to him - a band filled with junkies who didn't want to move forward? :lol: I don't think so.

Correction:

If he wanted more money.

You're missing the point. If Axl is currently making good money, which I believe he is, with his yes-men band, then why would he go back to the place where people actually questioned his actions and decisions just for the sake of more money? 100 million or 70 million are basically the same in general terms: A lot of fucking money, no? I would of course, want 100 million instead of 70, but if to get the 100 million I have to talk to the person I hate the most, I would definitely say: "No, thank you. I'm already making good cash with what I have." That's my point.

If the current band wasn't all about the money now, then the band wouldn't have a tag price to play private weddings. I couldn't care less about the name, Axl did his thing and it's obvious that he just wants money now. I think there was a time he wanted something else for his future, other than playing SCOM for the rest of his life.

You're right. For years, Slash was bitter about the break-up. Didn't he say in his book that he cried or wanted to kill himself or some shit like that? He was furious but now that's just the past, while Axl is still suck in the late 90s. Hating everyone who doesn't praise him 24/7.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense. Axl fought for the personal freedom to put out music as "Guns N' Roses", but Axl has put out one album of original material in 17 years. That's what he was fighting for? That's why he worked so hard to rebuild what it was - to him - a band filled with junkies who didn't want to move forward? :lol: I don't think so.

I understand your point. But someone said he's just in it for the money. I just said not just the money.i really thinks he cares about GNR and isn't as cynical as some want him to be. And seeing as you don't have a kind or positive word for Axl or nu Guns...you're just twisting to your agenda. It seems overly negative? So a few people think maybe Axl can release a record and isn't completely evil, washed up asshole, must stamp on that glimmer of hope!

He did want to make music as GNR and put out music. Maybe it's not as easy or successful as he thought but he still wants to be GNR. If he just wanted money he'd do a reunion. 1 record in 30 years isn't really a relevant point, he'd rather do that than a reunion. proves the point really doesn't it. Instead of getting a load of money and love by doing reunion he'd rather struggle to put out 1 record, for it to be derided by people on the Internet and do what he wants.