Healthcare

downzy

I've yet to see anybody that treats the ACA with much praise. Saying it's better than the last system isn't really praising it.

"Hey, check out my new girlfriend."

"Well, she's better looking than a pile of hammered dog shit."

"I got robbed today."

"Wow, what a shitty day."

"Better than yesterday, I got raped."

I've yet to see anybody that treats the ACA with much praise. Saying it's better than the last system isn't really praising it.

the problem is instead of writing the best law possible or even taking their time with it, they just rushed it through. a large amount of the law hasn't even taken effect yet. it was pushed back until the beginning of 2015 because of the elections.

the problem with health care in the US isnt with the rich or the poor, the rich can afford their private health insurance and the poor get government health care. the problem is medicaid and medicare is broken and running out of money. the middle class are the ones getting fucked on all of this. they are having their premiums rise or they were getting kicked off their plans(until obama pushed that mandate back)

this isnt even mentioning the hours being cut by businesses to get under the mandate of any business over 50 employees having to give health insurance to those with over 30 hours a week.

this law could have been much much better instead democrats and republicans would rather act like fucking 2 year olds and play bullshit politics instead of actually doing their jobs to help solve a real problem.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

the problem is instead of writing the best law possible or even taking their time with it, they just rushed it through. a large amount of the law hasn't even taken effect yet. it was pushed back until the beginning of 2015 because of the elections.

the problem with health care in the US isnt with the rich or the poor, the rich can afford their private health insurance and the poor get government health care. the problem is medicaid and medicare is broken and running out of money. the middle class are the ones getting fucked on all of this. they are having their premiums rise or they were getting kicked off their plans(until obama pushed that mandate back)

this isnt even mentioning the hours being cut by businesses to get under the mandate of any business over 50 employees having to give health insurance to those with over 30 hours a week.

this law could have been much much better instead democrats and republicans would rather act like fucking 2 year olds and play bullshit politics instead of actually doing their jobs to help solve a real problem.

The best law possible would have excluded insurance companies completely. That would never have passed in a million years.

i have no problem with private health insurance, or insurance companies. if you can afford it, go for it. the problem is the alternative for those who cant afford it, is a broken mess. i think a lot of the ideas in the ACA are good ones, but the way it was handled and the way it was written in a hurry, it will lead to another broken alternative for the middle class and the poor.

• Like 1

i have no problem with private health insurance, or insurance companies. if you can afford it, go for it. the problem is the alternative for those who cant afford it, is a broken mess. i think a lot of the ideas in the ACA are good ones, but the way it was handled and the way it was written in a hurry, it will lead to another broken alternative for the middle class and the poor.

My point exactly. It should be an option but everybody should have access to a genuine alternative. My insurance costs me less than $100 a month and I'm guessing it's because the company knows that if they increase it I have the NHS to fall back on. That's the thing in most countries. We have the option of government healthcare so if the insurance companies try and take the piss they'll get told to fuck themselves. That keeps prices down more than any market incentive IMO.

My point exactly. It should be an option but everybody should have access to a genuine alternative. My insurance costs me less than $100 a month and I'm guessing it's because the company knows that if they increase it I have the NHS to fall back on. That's the thing in most countries. We have the option of government healthcare so if the insurance companies try and take the piss they'll get told to fuck themselves. That keeps prices down more than any market incentive IMO.

now we just have to get rid of our incompetent government to make a legit alternative :lol:

• Like 1

The best law possible would have excluded insurance companies completely. That would never have passed in a million years.

And that's what most "Obama supporters" wanted. What we have now was the only compromise the Democrats could even settle on. Where were the Republicans?

Everybody sitting back and tossing out alternatives should have been doing that when crybabies in Congress were refusing to negotiate and even stated that would vote no even if they got everything they wanted. Why? Because Obama.

Government failure should be the gripe.

At the very least, people not being dropped from their coverage simply because your grandfather had a heart attack once and it being labeled a pre-existing condition is a good thing and maybe next time, they'll stop the pouting and get things done.

And by a lot of accounts, premiums are coming down. Whoever said or thought it would be instant fix is an idiot.

Don't like it? Stop voting for dumbshits that only care about being a career politician and serving their donors instead of actually representing the people.

I'm living it, I'm not looking at it from a political view point. I'm living it as a citizen. The entire program just does not work. Trust me, it doesn't work.

The percentage of uninsured Americans is currently the lowest it's ever been in the history of the U.S. And it continues to decline.....

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/07/10/percentage-of-uninsured-americans-now-lowest-on-record

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/29/upshot/obamacare-who-was-helped-most.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

I'm not living with those other Americans nor do I have their bills to pay.

I don't trust polls nor statistics either. Just look at what happened with the GOP being voted back into congress. The polls said it wouldn't happen to the degree it did if at all. And again, I'm not so sure I'm a Republican. I'm not a Democrat or LIbertarian.

I just want the insurance I had. I want quality healthcare and the insurance I had.

My thread wasn't about Healthcare.

It was about how "lack of transparency is a huge political advantage", and how sweeping reform and the passing of bills cannot happen without the "stupidity of the American voter", and about the tactic of intentionally writing a bill "in a tortured way" to mislead and deceive.

I see what's going on here, and been going on of late. Yup, this is your joint.

Really??? That's what your thread was about. The first sentence is about Obamacare. Every paragraph in your quoted article includes mentions of Obamacare. But no, it's about something completely other than Obamacare...

:rofl-lol:

Downzy, what do you think about Gruber saying the American voters are stupid?

I think he poorly phrased the sentiment he was trying to say. In most developed nations, a small minority of voters are actively engaged in the political process. The vast majority do not have the time or inclination to be bothered with a process that seems indifferent to their own concerns. I wouldn't say that most American voters are stupid (nor Canadian, Australian, British, French, etc.), but that most voters are often unaware of what's being debated and how it will affect them.

It's definitely fair to say that most Americans, had the ACA been fully explained as to what the ACA was exactly, likely would not have supported the law. The fact that the law is still unpopular years after its passage tells you that the vague language used to sell the law have left many feeling duped. But let's not forget that when polled individually, every single component of the law (save for the individual mandate) garners majority support. So the question becomes, if a populace loves the ingredients but hates the final product, were their legislators wrong to back passage of the law? Also consider the fact that many of the reasons why people do not like the law are not necessarily true. To claim that Democrats were the only ones being deceptive about the realities of the law is absurd when you had Sarah Palin and many Republicans pushing falsehoods about what the law was and what it wasn't. It's also interesting to think that the everyone loves the benefits of the ACA but many detest the one thing that makes it possible (the individual mandate).

The reality is that the Democrats couldn't use the word "tax" because they understood that suggesting that certain taxes would go up to pay for the law would make its passage impossible. It's really just a matter of semantics. Republicans have done such an amazing job of tainting the word tax that there have been no major tax increases (that weren't already baked in or tax deductions set to expire) since Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1994. It's why in many Republican controlled states you don't see Governors raising taxes, but they sure do love instituting new licensing fees and penalties. It's all semantics. The Democrats used similar tactics when passing the ACA. It's a shame that such maneuvering was necessary, but it's a game that both parties play (though, I would argue, the Republicans are way better at playing it than the Democrats).

You're comment...

The fact that the law is still unpopular years after its passage tells you that the vague language used to sell the law have left many feeling duped. But let's not forget that when polled individually, every single component of the law (save for the individual mandate) garners majority support.

I don't agree with this downzy. I adore you and I've told you this before. But I do not agree. Polls mean nothing. There are so many people that cannot afford the ACA, why, because it costs more than regular insurance and it has done nothing but run the price of our regular insurance up exponentially. And our regular insurance is still far less expensive than the price of ACA!! AND our regular insurance covers much, much more than ACA!!! Our regular doctors refuse to take ACA because it involves so much red tape to get paid. I love you downzy, but you are wrong on this one.

There is a BIG reason the law is so unpopular years after its passage!!

I don't think you understand how the ACA works.

See my above post. Misinformation is the name of the game.

Omar, do you have ACA? Are you on one of the plans? If so, which tier? And if so, what insurance plan did you have prior?

insurance%20policy_0.jpg

EXACTLY!!

Love that hopium. :lol:

Whatever. It's already happening in medicare and social security benefits....and that's just the tip of the iceberg. More people insured = healthier country = less claims = less premiums. (Obviously, there's a lot more to it, such as less hospital/doctor charge offs for the uninsured will also mean that they can eventually charge less for their services, since they are getting paid from those that were previously uninsured, etc.)

WHAT? Explain how this works for me with my husband that has had the following in the last couple of years:

1. bacterial pneumonia - lost the bottom lobe of his right lung - almost died / intensive care for 12 days / one week regular hospital / 92k bill

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

7. cancer - twice he's been treated for and must have regular testing now - once was malignant / and that's the last two years. Internal. He's had skin cancer much more than that.

And I'm sure I'm leaving something out here.

So how is "more people insured = healthier country = less claims = less premiums", just how is that going to help us? What does that mean to us? NOTHING! It means absolutely nothing. I couldn't give a rats ass if people 20 years down the road have a smaller premium when ours has jumped through the roof. We now have an incredibly high premium not to mention our co-pays plus everything over 80% is kicking our ass, plus medication.

• Like 1

insurance%20policy_0.jpg

EXACTLY!!

Except the 2014 quote includes available tax credits. The 2015 quote does not. It even states that this is price before available tax credits. It's not a fair comparison nor representative of what most people experience while shopping in the ACA exchanges.

Whatever. It's already happening in medicare and social security benefits....and that's just the tip of the iceberg. More people insured = healthier country = less claims = less premiums. (Obviously, there's a lot more to it, such as less hospital/doctor charge offs for the uninsured will also mean that they can eventually charge less for their services, since they are getting paid from those that were previously uninsured, etc.)

WHAT? Explain how this works for me with my husband that has had the following in the last couple of years:

1. bacterial pneumonia - lost the bottom lobe of his right lung - almost died / intensive care for 12 days / one week regular hospital / 92k bill

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

7. cancer - twice he's been treated for and must have regular testing now - once was malignant / and that's the last two years. Internal. He's had skin cancer much more than that.

So how is "more people insured = healthier country = less claims = less premiums", just how is that going to help us? What does that mean to us? NOTHING! It means absolutely nothing. I couldn't give a rats ass if people 20 years down the road have a smaller premium when ours has jumped through the roof. We now have an incredibly high premium not to mention our co-pays plus everything over 80% is kicking our ass, plus medication.

I'm sorry you and your husband had to go through that, I hope he's better now, but no disrespect, Adrift but you should be thanking God you had insurance... because if you think your co-payments were high over the past few years, imagine what your insurance paid out to take care of your husband? You out of all people shouldn't be complaining about having to pay a premium, you certainly cashed in on it....probably 1000x over. And you should be thanking God for the ACA, since your insurance can't drop you for a pre-existing condition now.

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

Adrift, it's how insurance works. The more people in an insurance pool the result will generally be lower premiums. Of course, an insurance pool with nothing but young and healthy people will yield much lower premiums than an insurance pool with older and sicker participants. But that's what the ACA does. It puts everyone in the same pool, so that younger people and older people operate within the same insurance umbrella. Otherwise, if you allowed young healthy people to only insure themselves with other young and healthy people the result would be older people would be priced out. That was the older system. it's why people with pre-existing medical conditions were often locked out of the market. It just wasn't financially feasible to insure them. The only way it works is if you include healthier and younger people.

The more people who have medical insurance, the less reactionary their care. They can be more proactive people are with taking care of themselves, the less sick they'll be. And the healthier the are, the less medical services they use. The less medical care they use, the less it costs to insure them (and subsequently, everyone else).

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but that's how every other developed country works. It includes everyone into the same pool which allows its citizens to be proactive about their healthcare. It's why a country like Canada pays substantially lower in healthcare costs than the U.S.

The monthly figure includes the equivalent 2014 tax credit. Nice try, though.

Where does it say that?

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

I'm sorry you and your husband had to go through that, I hope he's better now, but no disrespect, Adrift but you should be thanking God you had insurance... because if you think your co-payments were high over the past few years, imagine what your insurance paid out to take care of your husband? You out of all people shouldn't be complaining about having to pay a premium, you certainly cashed in on it....probably 1000x over. And you should be thanking God for the ACA, since your insurance can't drop you for a pre-existing condition now.

Our Life Insurance damn sure did drop us. And they wouldn't have before. Obama forgot to cover that. We've had life insurance forever. Now they tell us Because of ACA they are part of the same company that provides our medical insurance and they cannot keep underwriting life insurance for people anymore. No, we don't have ACA. It has nothing to do with our medical insurance. And NO we didn't cash in, no, we've paid them for many, many years. We certainly didn't cash in. This is what you were speaking of, the many healthy people that pay for insurance, and then there are people like us that actually use their insurance. We didn't cash in. Do you seriously think insurance companies are not supposed to pay up if someone needs that insurance? Cash in my ass!

Edited by AdriftatSea

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

Our Life Insurance damn sure did drop us. And they wouldn't have before. Obama forgot to cover that. We've had life insurance forever. Now they tell us Because of ACA they are part of the same company that provides our medical insurance and they cannot keep underwriting life insurance for people anymore. No, we don't have ACA. It has nothing to do with our medical insurance. And NO we didn't cash in, no, we've paid them for many, many years. We certainly didn't cash in. This is what you were speaking of, the many healthy people that pay for insurance, and then there are people like us that actually use their insurance. We didn't cash in. Do you seriously think insurance companies are not supposed to pay up if someone needs that insurance? Cash in my ass!

Yes, Adrift, you are covered by the ACA and the laws written within it. Do yourself a favor and read up on what the ACA is and stop listening to bullshit, right-wing propaganda.

Someone in your situation, with what you and your husband went through are among the ones that benefit the most from it. If it wasn't for the ACA, your insurance company could have dropped you....and good luck finding insurance at a decent rate after the claims you filed.

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

Yes, Adrift, you are covered by the ACA and the laws written within it. Do yourself a favor and read up on what the ACA is and stop listening to bullshit, right-wing propaganda.

Someone in your situation, with what you and your husband went through are among the ones that benefit the most from it. If it wasn't for the ACA, your insurance company could have dropped you....and good luck finding insurance at a decent rate after the claims you filed.

We have the same insurance company now but it's corporate. They don't drop you. And it isn't ACA.

I've got to work on my voting list... stop pissing me off KK. :lol: kidding

I have just accepted the fact that when I'm off my parents plan in three and a half years my life will halfway go to shit.

Hopefully I'll be able to make an honest living with benefits by that time because there's no way in hell I can pay for my psychiatrist and Prozac out of my own pocket.

The sad part of it all is that these drugs help immensely. Without them I wouldn't even get out of bed.

Time keeps on turning, turning, turning into the future.

My cities largest health insurance provider just published a story in the newspaper about how much Obamacare has screwed the small business owners in our town who are now getting gutted financially and some even shutting their doors.

Obviously one side will proclaim how great it is. The other will say how bad it is. And one side will always have an example of "my six year old pretty little cousin could never get insured and was about to die, but Obamacare came on and saved her life."

"Your expected monthly payment will be: (using your 2014 APTC amount)"

And the box next to it. At the bottom.

But if you look at the first 2015 box, it says it doesn't include APTC. It's not exactly clear whether the 2015 monthly amount includes APTC. it only states that this is the amount based on the 2014 amount. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's far from being clear cut on the matter. Why would the first 2015 box exclude APTC while the second box does not?

In any event, this would be highly atypical compared to what most purchasers of ACA insurance would see. I'm fairly certain that a 100 percent premium increase isn't the average across the industry.

2. torn Achilles tendon

3. blood clot in his leg

4. broken shoulder

5. torn rotator cuff

6. torn biceps muscle

We have the same insurance company now but it's corporate. They don't drop you. And it isn't ACA.

I've got to work on my voting list... stop pissing me off KK. :lol:kidding

The ACA is a law, not insurance. And yes, you are protected by it. Just because you didn't use the website to go through it, your insurance company still has to be in compliance with the ACA. So yes, you are "part of the ACA". Like I said, read up on it.

My cities largest health insurance provider just published a story in the newspaper about how much Obamacare has screwed the small business owners in our town who are now getting gutted financially and some even shutting their doors.

Obviously one side will proclaim how great it is. The other will say how bad it is. And one side will always have an example of "my six year old pretty little cousin could never get insured and was about to die, but Obamacare came on and saved her life."

im more in the category of just pissed off because they could have had a much better law and ended up fucking it up. if going reconciliation was there the whole time, they had much more time to work on this and fine tune it instead of rushing it through.

the city where i live a lot of small businesses are hiring for only around 25 hours or people working 40+ hours are getting cut down to around 25 hours.

• Like 1