Should GNR release singles/videos rather than a full album?

I think Dave Grohl's experience making the previous 2 documentaries about his band and Sound City played a lot into Sonic Highways. It might have been a little self-serving as far as pushing the new music goes, but the "videos" showcased the studio as well as did a variation on the "lyric videos" that have become part of the norm. It's not that different from the "Patience" video, it's probably the only footage he's got of the band in the studio, apart from Shannon Hoon's home movie. You could put GNR on any stage in the world with kick ass scenery in the background to give it something extra, or have a director thread the songs into a short film, with or without the band in it. It would be cool to have "Axl Rose man of mystery" doing something Hitchcock-like in videos.

To me it makes sense if he has an assload of songs he can release, keep working on the ones he feels need more work, and gradually roll them out. The fanfare and hype? Just one or two talk show appearances, no interview, just play Kimmel's rooftop, overlooking Hollywood. Shut the streets down and just do a "surprise motherfucker" concert.

This made me think though.. I've always been more of an album man. I like singles. I like good songs. But to me that's still immensely different from sitting down with a new album and really listening to it. It's a very different experience. I mean, a song's a song. But with an album there's so much more. Some things you like, some you don't, some songs put together work as passages, some songs work as bridges between songs. An album can take you through a whole set of emotions and moods where a song just can't. I think it's a different (imo more complex) art. An album can paint a bigger picture and I love that. And it really evolves too. What things you like or don't like or what grows on you. I love that about albums.

I feel horribly old saying this, but it also has to do with attention span and really taking the time for something. Somehow that seems to be less and less worth it to people. Like they just want something fast and simple and they don't want to invest in the complexity an album has to offer. It's not just with music, but it's a great example. It's a shame really.

I would love a new singe and a video. I think having a video with the new GNR would be cool.

I think if there's no music by the time another tour comes around, Axl isn't going to release any more music ever again.

I don't think I can wait another 15 years or so and neither can Axl.