Last Forum Standing

A lot has to do with how cd.com was a free place after the split with newgnr.com... Then it became more like HTGTH with the admin / mod. That was the death kiss. Newgnr.com was given up on by sladdi and became trollville similar to what chinesedemocracyforum.com was.

I actually started at newgnr.com, I always wondered what ever happened to Sladdi.

I started at 2TI. (2000 intentions).. Used to post at HTGTH but Jarmo was just a complete tool that slobbered over Axl's balls too much. The place is a complete joke and you were shunned if you didn't suck up to every little thing Axl did. God forbid you were a fan of the ex-members.. This place thrives because it a place for all GnR fans.. NuGnR, Classic Guns or fans of both.

This is one of the more lively boards out there. Message Boards popularity has dived with the rise of things like facebook. This place manages to stay pretty active. Probs to the admins and mods..

Much like the original band... we all just stopped giving a fuck. You can't put your arms around a memory. Yesterday's got nothing for us.

You should apply for a job in GNR social media websites.

Nah, my photoshopping skills aren't good enough to trim Axl's belly or double chin. I don't know who is doing it, but there was a photo recently posted on Facebook where Axl's chin had been digitally erased. It was ridiculous.

• Like 2

A lot has to do with how cd.com was a free place after the split with newgnr.com... Then it became more like HTGTH with the admin / mod. That was the death kiss. Newgnr.com was given up on by sladdi and became trollville similar to what chinesedemocracyforum.com was.

I actually started at newgnr.com, I always wondered what ever happened to Sladdi.

He is keeping it up but letting the inmates run the asylum. I believe that he lost his faith in Guns N' Roses.

Downzy I like a ton of your posts, but that last one says more about you than Axl or jarmo.

The fact that they were cool with you one night years ago doesn't change how they've played things with the wider fanbase. Did you like cd more after chatting with Axl? Of course not - it doesn't follow.

The long-time gnr hardcore is rife with ill-considered superiority complexes. People claim authority for no logical reason. MSL is the master of it, and regularly looks like an idiot as a consequence.

But seeing as we're comparing dicks, I've done the red solo cup thing too. People were cool, the fans were like rabbits in the road, and I didn't speak to or see Jarmo. But even if he poured me a drink and talked about my team, he'd still be a bitch, and Axl would still need to release music.

The point is, jarmo's admirable dedication went rotten. His commitment in the dark years does not validate in any way what happened later. Nor does a nice chat with him.

• Like 1

I am a fairly new member to this forum and i had a look around and this forum seems to me (at least in my opinion) to be the place to talk gnr without being controlled too much by the admin or anyone whos got their own agenda such as Jarmo does.

I also like how for the most part, as a new member most people seem accepting and considering its yet another long quiet period for the band, there is still a range of topics that pop up (some have been done before i guess) but overall.. the forum ticks along nicely and for me thats enough to keep me interested i guess.

Of course it could be better.. but this is the only forum i use and it was far more attractive place to post and talk then others.

• Like 2

I think the one thing we all can agree on is that some people take these forums and their association with Axl or Slash waaaaay to seriously.

I agree. I knew that there was a lot of people out there who were one or the other.. (i dont fit this description) but since ive learnt more and more aboue the old band, its become apparent just how much people are team axl or team slash.. its like an older version of twighlight :lol:

Downzy I like a ton of your posts, but that last one says more about you than Axl or jarmo.

The fact that they were cool with you one night years ago doesn't change how they've played things with the wider fanbase. Did you like cd more after chatting with Axl? Of course not - it doesn't follow.

The long-time gnr hardcore is rife with ill-considered superiority complexes. People claim authority for no logical reason. MSL is the master of it, and regularly looks like an idiot as a consequence.

But seeing as we're comparing dicks, I've done the red solo cup thing too. People were cool, the fans were like rabbits in the road, and I didn't speak to or see Jarmo. But even if he poured me a drink and talked about my team, he'd still be a bitch, and Axl would still need to release music.

The point is, jarmo's admirable dedication went rotten. His commitment in the dark years does not validate in any way what happened later. Nor does a nice chat with him.

But why does Jarmo need validation? And who from, you? Why does he care what you or anyone else think? This is what I fail to understand. Jarmo runs an online GNR discussion forum that tries to be supportive of Axl and present day GNR. Sure, he's advocacy for the band can border on militancy, but that's his call. And ultimately, people can decide whether they want to join in the conversations Jarmo wants to have at his site or they can find other places that appeals more to them. I still don't see the need to scorn the guy simply because he's been living the dream of any hardcore GNR fan would kill for.

What I don't get is the attitude you're expressing in this post. We all want Axl to release new music, but why do people take it so personally when he doesn't deliver? Criticize him as an artist, but I don't understand to vilify the guy as a person because he's failed your expectations. I, like everyone else, get disappointed when we're six years out and the follow up to CD doesn't seem imminent, but I'm not going to take personal shots at Axl for it (not saying you are Hubba, but let's agree that it does happen a lot around here). Jarmo chooses to purge such comments at his forum; we do not (for the most part - there's limits). The reason we allow for a more open forum of exchange is because we feel it's important for fans to have a place to vent. Ultimately, most wouldn't be posting here if they weren't fans in some shape or form. I am confident that the minute Axl starts performing a different lineup of songs or releases new music some of his most ardent critics will be the first to attend a show or buy the record. That is where HTGTH and MYGNRFORUM differ in philosophies. We don't view every person who has a criticism of the band or the artist as a hater. I think that's a fair criticism of Jarmo and his site, but many of the personal slights that are thrown at him are often way off base and uncalled for. To me, calling Jarmo a "bitch" is nonsense.

• Like 2

I still don't see the need to scorn the guy simply because he's been living the dream of any hardcore GNR fan would kill for.

I am beyond tired of hearing this. Not everyone would trade in his/her dignity and whore themselves out like a prostitute just to be able to say they hung out with "nu" GNR. Actually, I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of people around here would be far passed depressed if they woke up in Jarmo's shoes.

There is nothing to be praised imo. Selling ones self out to be a hanger on? Didn't Axl once say in a song something to the effect of "Vicarious existence is a fuckin' waste of time"?

Edited by combos
  • Like 3

I still don't see the need to scorn the guy simply because he's been living the dream of any hardcore GNR fan would kill for.

I am beyond tired of hearing this. Not everyone would trade in his/her dignity and whore themselves out like a prostitute just to be able to say they hung out with "nu" GNR. Actually, I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of people around here would be suicidal if they woke up in Jarmo's shoes.

There is nothing to be praised imo. Selling ones self out to be a hanger on? Didn't Axl once say in a song something to the effect of "Vicarious existence is a fuckin' waste of time"?

What the fuck are you talking about? Whoring himself out? It's a internet online forum. It's not like the forum is his day-job or that it pays his bills. I'm not going to share personal information about what the guy does as a day job but he has his own life outside of GNR. It's not like he owes anyone anything? I honestly don't understand why people care so much.

Dignity. You've got kidding me. Do you really think the band and/or management went to Jarmo and told him he'd get all these perks if he'd shut down all criticism on his site? Like I said, this cynical attitude isn't based on reality. The guy is a fan. I remember his posts on the old Dust N' Bones mailing list in the mid 90's. The guy never had a bad thing to say about Axl. Ever. It's who he was then and it's who he is today. Again, my feeling for why his tolerance for personal snipes or criticisms of Axl and the band waned over the years is more to do with his relationship with the band and Axl and has nothing to do with the perks he gets out of it. If I grew personally attached to someone over a period of time I'd likely feel less inclined to hear constant criticisms of them as well. Does that make Jarmo objective in many of his assessments? In my opinion, absolutely not. Which, again, is why I stopped posting at HTGTH. Does that make him a whore? Fucking no.

Like I said, taking issue with how he runs his forum is one thing; calling the guy a whore who has no dignity is absurd and repugnant.

I am beyond tired of hearing this. Not everyone would trade in his/her dignity and whore themselves out like a prostitute just to be able to say they hung out with "nu" GNR.

Thank you.

I can safely say I've achieved far, far more in my life than being a leech on Axl's ass the way that Del or Beta or Jarmo is.

I've done far more with my life than that. And I bet many of us here are in the same position.

I wouldn't trade one molecule of my life, career, friendships, and experiences to be one of the "inner circle" leeches.

Edited by niceguy

I am beyond tired of hearing this. Not everyone would trade in his/her dignity and whore themselves out like a prostitute just to be able to say they hung out with "nu" GNR. Actually, I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of people around here would be suicidal if they woke up in Jarmo's shoes.

What the fuck are you talking about? Whoring himself out? It's a internet online forum. It's not like the forum is his day-job or that it pays his bills. I'm not going to share personal information about what the guy does as a day job but he has his own life outside of GNR. It's not like he owes anyone anything? I honestly don't understand why people care so much.

Dignity. You've got kidding me. Do you really think the band and/or management went to Jarmo and told him he'd get all these perks if he'd shut down all criticism on his site? Like I said, this cynical attitude isn't based on reality. The guy is a fan. I remember his posts on the old Dust N' Bones mailing list in the mid 90's. The guy never had a bad thing to say about Axl. Ever. It's who he was then and it's who he is today. Again, my feeling for why his tolerance for personal snipes or criticisms of Axl and the band waned over the years is more to do with his relationship with the band and Axl and has nothing to do with the perks he gets out of it. If I grew personally attached to someone over a period of time I'd likely feel less inclined to hear constant criticisms of them as well. Does that make Jarmo objective in many of his assessments? In my opinion, absolutely not. Which, again, is why I stopped posting at HTGTH. Does that make him a whore? Fucking no.

Like I said, taking issue with how he runs his forum is one thing; calling the guy a whore who has no dignity is absurd and repugnant.

There is a difference in being a fan and being a fanBOY. One respects the artist. The other is borderline insane. You can't DO the things he's done and say the things he's said and not be deluded. Slash, Duff, Matt, Izzy and Steven ALL knew and was closer to Axl than Jarmo ever will be and yet, I don't see any of them approaching his level of delusion where Axl walks on water and anyone who disagrees... must pay.

Jarmo was nothing more than a nonviolent, slightly less insane James Hinkley. He was an obsessive fan to the point where he was willing to be, say and DO anything to get Axl's attention. It worked, but who's impressed? I'm not impressed. Not many people are. Most just shake their heads.

At one point, all of us loved the original band. That's why we're here. All of us, at one point, would have loved to have a chat with anyone in the band. But let me make this clear. Not many of us would have gone to the level of obsessive creepiness that Jarmo did back in the day to achieve it. Why? Because it's not within the confines of the normal human psyche.

You can disagree with me but, the way he behaved over the years... something isn't right in that guys head.

There is a difference in being a fan and being a fanBOY. One respects the artist. The other is borderline insane. You can't DO the things he's done and say the things he's said and not be deluded. Slash, Duff, Matt, Izzy and Steven ALL knew and was closer to Axl than Jarmo ever will be and yet, I don't see any of them approaching his level of delusion where Axl walks on water and anyone who disagrees... must pay.

Jarmo was nothing more than a nonviolent, slightly less insane James Hinkley. He was an obsessive fan to the point where he was willing to be, say and DO anything to get Axl's attention. It worked, but who's impressed? I'm not impressed. Not many people are. Most just shake their heads.

At one point, all of us loved the original band. That's why we're here. All of us, at one point, would have loved to have a chat with anyone in the band. But let me make this clear. Not many of us would have gone to the level of obsessive creepiness that Jarmo did back in the day to achieve it. Why? Because it's not within the confines of the normal human psyche.

You can disagree with me but, the way he behaved over the years... something isn't right in that guys head.

I'm disagreeing with you because you're ascribing a motivation that is misplaced. Like I said, I've had interactions with the guy going back almost twenty years. Even before he had a website when it was just a bunch of us GNR nerds discussing things through a mailing list Jarmo was always an Axl defender. It's who he always was. You're trying to make it sound as though he changed because GNR now takes him on the road. And what I'm trying to convey is that this attitude is wrong and is uttered by people who didn't know him way back. It's a fallacy to believe that Jarmo had some sort of master plan with his forum. Honestly, he's just a devoted Axl/GNR fan who got lucky.

And you're also missing my point about why Jarmo has little concern for criticisms of Axl. It isn't because he's a fanboy (he was a fanboy well before he even had a forum), it's because he's friends with GNR and management. If you saw your friends getting savaged on a discussion forum you controlled, my bet is you might act somewhat similarly. Again, i don't know you, maybe you would be fine with watching your friends get torn apart day in and day out, but that isn't Jarmo. The guy is passionate about a band who happens to be friends with. That's all there is to it. You're making way more out of it than there really needs to be.

And let's call a spade a spade - if you're still posting on a GNR fan forum this far out from a new GNR album, you're a little GNR obsessed as well. Sure, some are little more obsessed than others, but let's not get all high and mighty as if the rest of us have a completely normal interest in the band.

When I first visited HTGTH in 1996, it was a small niche fansite that Jarmo ran alone from his bedroom.

It's a real testament to the power of the internet that simple dedication to a band could see a fan in that position end up on stage with Axl & crowd singing happy birthday to him, years later. You could make a movie about it.

Problem is, along the way that particular fan paid with his integrity, and then eventually with the site that got him up there. If anyone doubts that, you can read about it in black & white (with edits!).

I stopped visiting around 2006, and it was around that time that there was a pretty dramatic change in tack. I recall jarmo cooing over slash's first baby's curly black hair, and then within a short time after that he began the slow (now familiar) assassination of slash's character that goes on to this day. To any semi-intelligent poster it was truly pathetic.

The purge-like wholesale bannings took a while to kick in, but when they came they were an insult to any fan of guns. I never had any direct interaction with jarmo and was never banned myself, but the way in which I witnessed him treating some of the most knowledgeable and articulate posters at his own forum, and some of guns most dedicated fans, was a disgrace. He was and is a bully.

Irony is, all of that was driven by unquestioning dedication to Axl - the exact quality Axl seems to select for in the people he surrounds himself with. Jarmo is just a throwaway example, and his behaviour is just a predictable symptom of the disease that infects guns as we know it today. It could've been anyone.

Now Axl has another quite ordinary asskisser all to himself. And everything he does is exactly the right thing. And we have no guns n roses music.

I started visiting HTGTH in 1998 I believe. Jarmo always had the most recent news related to GNR (current AND ex members) and it was always great to get caught up on what was going on in the world of GNR. It took me a while to become a poster there. I just checked and I registered in June of 2003. I have never really been an active poster over there, but there was definitely a period when I was posting more than the average person.

Like you mentioned HubbaBubba, one day Jarmo started just hating Slash and all the ex members. I remember pointing out to him that his original review of Velvet Revolver's first album was positive and he said something alone the lines of "yeah, but that was only because ex members of GNR were in the band and it clouded my judgement at first. Now I realize how average and bland it is". The big death blow for me was when he stopped posting news about ex members of the band. I used to actually submit news to him to post on HTGTH. One day I emailed him an update on Duff I believe and he told me that he wasn't in Guns N Roses so the news wouldn't be posted.

Over the years I've had lots of other issues with him. He always hates that people give negative reviews of the band just from a Youtube clip, and being there in person is different. Well guess what? I've posted negative reviews of the band from shows I attended in person and he deleted those reviews. A big part of my negative reviews stems from the set list issue. I think that is what drives him nuts the most. Earlier this year I posted that I skipped GNR for the first time in my life when they recently came to NYC, and it wasn't because of money issues. I didn't go to the Brooklyn Bowl or the Randalls Island shows and I said I was glad I didn't because it was the exact same set list we've seen for over 10 years. He went on to say he cannot understand how people have a problem with the fact that they play the same set list every night.

Outside of HTGTH I really really REALLY miss gnronline. That was without a doubt the most insane forum out there. Did we ever find out who posted Axl's phone number to get that place shut down?

Also does anyone know where Xozi and QUEENIE are these days? I remember on a different forum I got QUEENIE so upset from teasing him that Xozi PM'ed me threatening legal action (swear to God this actually happened).

Xozi is still running Gunsnrosesfans.com. Their old forum was the first place I really started talking with other fans. I remember refreshing constantly to read updates during those first couple of concerts when Axl came back with NuGnR. There were a lot of really funny people on there.

I'm disagreeing with you because you're ascribing a motivation that is misplaced. Like I said, I've had interactions with the guy going back almost twenty years. Even before he had a website when it was just a bunch of us GNR nerds discussing things through a mailing list Jarmo was always an Axl defender. It's who he always was. You're trying to make it sound as though he changed because GNR now takes him on the road. And what I'm trying to convey is that this attitude is wrong and is uttered by people who didn't know him way back. It's a fallacy to believe that Jarmo had some sort of master plan with his forum. Honestly, he's just a devoted Axl/GNR fan who got lucky.

And you're also missing my point about why Jarmo has little concern for criticisms of Axl. It isn't because he's a fanboy (he was a fanboy well before he even had a forum), it's because he's friends with GNR and management. If you saw your friends getting savaged on a discussion forum you controlled, my bet is you might act somewhat similarly. Again, i don't know you, maybe you would be fine with watching your friends get torn apart day in and day out, but that isn't Jarmo. The guy is passionate about a band who happens to be friends with. That's all there is to it. You're making way more out of it than there really needs to be.

And let's call a spade a spade - if you're still posting on a GNR fan forum this far out from a new GNR album, you're a little GNR obsessed as well. Sure, some are little more obsessed than others, but let's not get all high and mighty as if the rest of us have a completely normal interest in the band.

I simply do not agree, downzy.

Consider this. Maybe the reason people have a problem with jarmo is they all have had some sort of problem with him. That forum used to be active at one stage. Where are all those posters? They all left, with a grievance. It is actually not nice to have innocent posts deleted just because they might have a slight repercussion on Axl; it is not, how can I put it, gentleman like conduct. You write a post, come back the next day and zap: it is vanished. You are inherently going to walk away from such an experience believing Jarmo is the biggest arse bandit in the western hemisphere.

I simply do not agree, downzy.

Consider this. Maybe the reason people have a problem with jarmo is they all have had some sort of problem with him. That forum used to be active at one stage. Where are all those posters? They all left, with a grievance. It is actually not nice to have innocent posts deleted just because they might have a slight repercussion on Axl; it is not, how can I put it, gentleman like conduct. You write a post, come back the next day and zap: it is vanished. You are inherently going to walk away from such an experience believing Jarmo is the biggest arse bandit in the western hemisphere.

Shit, if deleted posts were a legitimate cause of butthurt I would have left here long ago.