Last Forum Standing

you forgot to mention M's site and thegnrforum :wow:

anyway mygnr has the best layout and the biggest member base, cd.com died out years ago, htgth became a ghost yard because of jarmo banned everyone who criticise this band
Other forums dead aswell, only M'site live with a few very actrive posters(ahem...alt account under 2-3 different names)
gnfnr is basically a cupcake forum all of the former outcasts got back here or thegnrforum

Even if there are other forums out there, if one day Axl decides to chat again, he will come here. No asskissing and lots of "haters, bitter ex-fans and people who spend their day bashing Axl" and yet he chose, and would probably choose this place again in the future, to talk to his fans.

You can have forums moderated by the most loyal Axl fans, with young posters doing whatever they can to promote the new band, with old timers who are simply intolerant to "negativity" and literally crazy about Axl but Axl, in the end, will come here if he chooses to communicate. Not even the official Nightrain forum stands a chance. MyGNR is where GNR members and GNR fans meet.

And his second choice would probably be GNFNR. I can see Axl bored in 30 seconds if he chooses to post in a forum filled with asskissers and psycho stalkers. They would be more worried about SECURING AN AXL EXCLUSIVE or simply bashing MyGNR than enjoying the chat.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 2

That's true, I'm not even the biggest GNR fan right now. I'm still a die hard, but its not like I'm on the edge of my seat anymore.

I just love our fucked up in the head community, here. It is psychotic and a bit mentally unhealthy, but it works

Axl comes here everyday!

Everyone here does a good job of rehashing the same conversation every week! Jk the posters on here are the best though.

It's amazing how many people get on here when something leaks or the day of a concert. If we get a new album next year this place will be packed. Just quiet times as usual right now.

I am happy to say the activity on my forums has remained pretty constant since its inception :D

As for last forum standing, with close to zero costs I can keep it running for eternity, and intend to do so as its core value is a repository of information that grows every week. Many other forums would be completely forgotten as their members dwindle, because they have nothing else to offer than ongoing discussions, or would have to scale down to a cheaper platform (and risk losing its identity) because low member mass can't support the costs.

• Like 2

The lean years, 2003 to the beginning of 2006, still held promise of a new GNR album. We all figured Chinese Democracy would eventually come out (well, most of us did), so it brought a lot of people to check in on the band. But it is harder for some to keep the passion going as it's been over six years since Chinese Democracy came out. So it makes sense that size and intensity of the active fanbase reflects the band's activity (or lack thereof).

I'm sure if and when the band becomes active again many will want to talk all things GNR again. And there's nothing wrong with there being different spaces for fans to talk about their favourite band. I consider MYGNRFORUM the "big-tent" GNR forum, in that it accepts anyone who wants to talk about the band regardless of their opinion. For some people they see that as a positive, whereas others wish only to surround themselves with other like-minded people. Fair enough, to each their own. I think another reason why this forum continues to do well is that it does not tolerate abusive or asshole behaviour. It's fine to disagree, but too often on some of the other forums I find that disagreement leads to pissing matches. It happens here, but not to the degree that makes discussing various matters unbearable.

The only thing I'd ask is that this thread no be used as a vehicle to flame other forums. There is no need to deride or denigrate other forums because you happen to not like their atmosphere or who happens to post here. It's fine to suggest why you prefer one forum over the other, but please be respectful of the fact that many people do enjoy spending their time at forums you may not like. Thanks

• Like 2

It's kinda fun to see HTGTH turn into an empty forum;

That was the best forum (by far) like 10 or 15 years ago because it had the best GNR community, lots of passionate fans who knew a lot about GNR.

I had great conversations there.

Then that guy who owns the site just destroyed it little by little with his banning crazyness;

He must have felt really powerful.

Actually what that guy did is very similar to what Axl did with Guns n' Roses.

Axl "banned" everyone and now he is surrounded by yes men and no one cares;

Oh well...

This place here is kinda funny but I miss the old fans who knew a lot about GNR.

Lot of young(er) fans here, that weren't even around when GNR existed (up until 1991 or 1994 depending on your taste).

The old fans don't seem to be around anymore.

Guess they are probably doing something better with their time, like taking care of their lives, jobs, wives and kids!

• Like 4

Free speech trumps everything. HTGTH's model was predestined to fail but it's creator (and abuser), being a mid-level asskisser, lacked the foresight to see it.

It's a striking fact that Mygnr continues to thrive in spite of the band it was created to honour. We're in perpetual opposition. And we just won't go away. It's a unique and intriguing situation. We're the sworn enemies of Axl's sycophantic inner circle. We might even flatter ourselves by saying Axl could have called us 'a cancer' in his darker moments. The same metaphor applies - he just can't cut us out of gnr.

And y'know, one side is doomed to fail. And history is doomed to repeat itself. Can't TB see this? Someone should point out to them what's in plain sight.

GnREvolution used to be the best site. Small group of members most of who were all really cool who posted consistently in all sections of the board but it slowly and "subtly" tried to veer in the htgth direction with a "positivity" agenda(though they would deny that) and it slowly killed the site. Still that was the best site for a handful of years in my opinion.

MyGnR has always been the biggest and most active GnR site though since the day I started posting on line in 2001. between 2001 - 2005 this place was awesome. I took a forced 5 year hiatus though haha. I joined HTGTH way back then as well and fucking hated that place. Right from day one I thought Jarmo was a chump and the vibe of that place was awful. I either just dropped out or deleted my account there one day and never went back. I couldn't tell you the last time I checked out that cesspool. 5 years ago maybe?

I like it here much more than I thought I would.

A lot of the Axlamic Fundamentalists have left which makes things better for me I suppose.

The lunatic fringe are boring,..no humour just hysterical attach or defence.

I watched certain posters getting very angry at the MS Paint thread and found myself sad for those people. If you're not married, friends with or related to Axl or Slash, who the fuck cares what people are saying about them? They are millionaire rock stars and we are a small bunch of Joe & Jane Does who like to write a bit....the difference between them and us is so huge that it really doesn't matter what any of us say or think.

There are some great contributors here and I greatly enjoy the debates and fully respect those who disagree with my bullshit once they set out their stall to the best of their abilities and give it a go.

Let's hope the GNR drama continues. A reunion would fry the network so spectacularly, I'd love it just to see what kind of crazy shit would be getting written down here.

Edited by Intercourse

Err, no forum provides their members with absolute free speech.

What makes this site still the dominant GN'R forum is MOSTLY due to it having a large member mass to begin with (mass attracts mass, and titration takes time); admins who have made many really good decisions these last few years in organizaing the site, cleverly moderating, and adding new features; the illusion that this is the only place where people can speak their mind (continuously contrasting mygnr with HTGTH); and, over the years, a willingness to allow a good deal of trolling and negative comments directed towards the band.

What makes this site still the dominant GN'R forum is MOSTLY due to it having a large member mass to begin with (mass attracts mass, and titration takes time); admins who have made many really good decisions these last few years in organizaing the site, cleverly moderating, and adding new features; the illusion that this is the only place where people can speak their mind (continuously contrasting mygnr with HTGTH); and, over the years, a willingness to allow a good deal of trolling and negative comments directed towards the band.

It is an easy illusion to believe though, as, comparing mygnr with htgth is a bit like comparing Pericles' Athens with Stalin's Soviet.

• Like 1

The mods should get a lot of credit for their dedication of course. I have a huge amount if respect for their work. But this post has a disappointing tone, and seems to give the impression that the mods are somehow tricking us.

There IS free speech at mygnr. It's not an illusion like you're claiming. It's true that we reject/censor racist comments and the like, but that doesn't mean there's some master manipulator at work. It's just that some particular brands of moronic behaviour don't get a platform. That's self-evident when any group of reasonable, like-minded people get together.

HTGTH had a massive fan base back in the day. What happened to mass attracting mass there?

A cynic might argue that the mods on other sites behaved so obnoxiously and selfishly that many true fans of guns music were driven to mygnr by default. Rather than because of the fiendish trap we dumb regular posters can't see.

Not to be negative or anything, but Mygnr thrives? You must not have been here some years ago. The activity is a lot lower than it used to be.

The glory years!

It's still good - and I love coming here, but there are fits and starts of activity even here.

The mods should get a lot of credit for their dedication of course. I have a huge amount if respect for their work. But this post has a disappointing tone, and seems to give the impression that the mods are somehow tricking us.

There IS free speech at mygnr. It's not an illusion like you're claiming. It's true that we reject/censor racist comments and the like, but that doesn't mean there's some master manipulator at work. It's just that some particular brands of moronic behaviour don't get a platform. That's self-evident when any group of reasonable, like-minded people get together.

HTGTH had a massive fan base back in the day. What happened to mass attracting mass there?

A cynic might argue that the mods on other sites behaved so obnoxiously and selfishly that many true fans of guns music were driven to mygnr by default. Rather than because of the fiendish trap we dumb regular posters can't see.

When some comments and posts are deleted then free speech is a myth. Like on every other social arena I know of, mygnrforum practises pseudo-free speech. Which is good. But the myth that people can say anything here, is only a myth which works splendidly do draw certain fractions of the fan base here. I don't think the mods or admins propagate this myth, I think it is just one of those silly thing that when first born is hard to kill - because want to believe.

What happened to HTGTH was that they, too, were subject to a general loss of interest i GN'R combined with making some bad decisions which resulted in titration of member mass happening faster than many other places.

I don't see it as a trap at all. Every forum must find their own balance between what is moderated and what is not, and hence cater to different sub sections of fans. A trap implies subterfuge. I think things are pretty transparent both here and elsewhere. And since people tend to be generally negative to GN'R these days, fans included, a site that accommodates this will be more attractive to many fans and reduce titration.

There was a forum which was actually more anti-Axl than mygnr. I cannot remember the name of it now but it was still extent about two-three years ago, and I think one or two posters who post here, were active there. It was full of, ''Axl is a obese plastic surgery disaster'', type posts. Full of my type of people in other words haha.

• Like 1