The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

This "Chelsea were always 6th or 7th" and "Nowhere before Roman" bullshit is such a crap myth. We finished above Liverpool twice in the following seasons back when they had Owen and won 5 trophies in 2 seasons:

1997/98 - 4th

1998/99 - 3rd (Just 4 points off the title)

99/00 - 5th

00/01 - 6th

01/02 - 6th

02/03 - 4th

Average position pre-Roman = 4.66

I'll also just point out that the "class of ENglish football" as Len likes to see them, finished in 10th in 1992/1993 and 12th in 1994/5 - behind Chelsea!

I hope Mourinho picks up, does well, i don't reckon all this relishing another mans (or mens) misery. Unless it's United or Tottenham, which is a different case altogether! :lol:

Moron is my favorite manager as in he made the prem interesting when it was just Utd/Arsenal. But it has got a bit old, but I can see him still in the job in 2019.

Noooo he's not, nor do i think he'd particularly give a monkeys if he did, the man supports his team, fair play to him :) My class of English football statement stands on fact, we are the most consistently in the top flight in English football history, thats just a fact, of the two major English competitions, The Prem' and The FA Cup, we have the record for most FA Cups, thats just another fact, we've a history of success the spans across the 20th Century, we've bought things to the game, of themselves little things like first time to have numbers on our back and such, we bought things to the game. The only other team really comparable to us in that regard, in terms of being the quintessential English team would be Liverpool, particularly with the way they've represented England in European competition very well, something we've not done very well at though we're always there.

Chelsea are a great team with great support and i don't think they're going anywhere in terms of their position in English football...but it is what it is, they, along with City have found a great deal of success since being bought by a big money man, not saying it as a dig or an attack, it's just a fact, and respect to em, what team would turn down having the money and ability to buy the top top players? United are like that too, big money owners that can get them the top top players.

The way i see it is it's Arsenal, Chelsea, United and City the top teams in England today, three of those teams are moneybags teams and one, The Famous Arsenal, are a team that are a well managed tightly run ship that is self sustaining, what people accuse the boss of, being tight basically, is just basically football management, he MANAGES a football team, in the purest sense of the word, keeps it out of the red and self sustaining, yeah we have our investors like any other team but basically Arsenal stand alone in that regard in English football and that makes me proud as a stallions erection, it really does, God bless my old man for supporting The Arsenal and instilling it in me, when we achieve something, WE achieve it, it ain't bought for us, it ain't handed to us on a plate, it's means something more.

Arsenal represent strong values, loyalty (look at the way we treat players, people like Diaby and RVP, look at our commitment to youth development), community, Arsenal represent classy football, thats why we're the quintessential English football team.

Edited by Len B'stard

Noooo he's not, nor do i think he'd particularly give a monkeys if he did, the man supports his team, fair play to him :) My class of English football statement stands on fact, we are the most consistently in the top flight in English football history, thats just a fact, of the two major English competitions, The Prem' and The FA Cup, we have the record for most FA Cups, thats just another fact, we've a history of success the spans across the 20th Century, we've bought things to the game, of themselves little things like first time to have numbers on our back and such, we bought things to the game. The only other team really comparable to us in that regard, in terms of being the quintessential English team would be Liverpool, particularly with the way they've represented England in European competition very well, something we've not done very well at though we're always there.

Chelsea are a great team with great support and i don't think they're going anywhere in terms of their position in English football...but it is what it is, they, along with City have found a great deal of success since being bought by a big money man, not saying it as a dig or an attack, it's just a fact, and respect to em, what team would turn down having the money and ability to buy the top top players? United are like that too, big money owners that can get them the top top players.

The way i see it is it's Arsenal, Chelsea, United and City the top teams in England today, three of those teams are moneybags teams and one, The Famous Arsenal, are a team that are a well managed tightly run ship that is self sustaining, what people accuse the boss of, being tight basically, is just basically football management, he MANAGES a football team, in the purest sense of the word, keeps it out of the red and self sustaining, yeah we have our investors like any other team but basically Arsenal stand alone in that regard in English football and that makes me proud as a stallions erection, it really does, God bless my old man for supporting The Arsenal and instilling it in me, when we achieve something, WE achieve it, it ain't bought for us, it ain't handed to us on a plate, it's means something more.

Arsenal represent strong values, loyalty (look at the way we treat players, people like Diaby and RVP, look at our commitment to youth development), community, Arsenal represent classy football, thats why we're the quintessential English football team.

I will admit I love the passion mate LOVE it I think your right about a great youth system but at the same time how many " Home Grown " players can you honestly say stay on at Arsenal ? I'm talking English lads I respect Wenger in the sense of he always keeps his head above water 1 thing you can guarantee every year with him is Champions league footy he has done a great job of that and that's all that matters in modern footy

Gibbs, Wilshere, The Ox, Callum Chambers, Aaron Ramsey, Walcott.

Utd success was built on home grown players with a few ringers like cantona and ronaldo.

Not so much in recent years towards the end I feel Fergie knew he was leaving soon so he gave up Moyes didn't do much with the academy just picked up on what Fergie left ( Janujaz and Lingaard being the 2 main ones )

Van Gaal seems to be doing a really good job only problem is fans are demanding instant results with LVG it's a 3 year plan people just ain't got patience but this blokes A* at bringing up a good youth team

United have a history that predates the 90s as well y'know, through the 50s and 60s with a bit of success in the 70s and 80s too. I don't like Van Gaal for United, i don't think it suits em, United are a turn on a penny and attack kind of team, direct, strong, well positioned, powerful midfield.

Edited by Len B'stard

Utd success was built on home grown players with a few ringers like cantona and ronaldo.

Not so much in recent years towards the end I feel Fergie knew he was leaving soon so he gave up Moyes didn't do much with the academy just picked up on what Fergie left ( Janujaz and Lingaard being the 2 main ones )

Van Gaal seems to be doing a really good job only problem is fans are demanding instant results with LVG it's a 3 year plan people just ain't got patience but this blokes A* at bringing up a good youth team

They are just a normal team with money now. But for that Fergie era they did somehow bring through some homegrown talent. So I'd say they are the most british team or whatever. utd always has some foreigner players though. Also style of play with Fergus was kind of british. Other clubs have brought in more continental styles or whatever. But its over now. Van gaal is doing well its a different landscape now. England were playing like italy or something other night. Edited by wasted

I will admit I love the passion mate LOVE it I think your right about a great youth system but at the same time how many " Home Grown " players can you honestly say stay on at Arsenal ? I'm talking English lads I respect Wenger in the sense of he always keeps his head above water 1 thing you can guarantee every year with him is Champions league footy he has done a great job of that and that's all that matters in modern footy

Gibbs, Wilshere, The Ox, Callum Chambers, Aaron Ramsey, Walcott.

United have a history that predates the 90s as well y'know, through the 50s and 60s with a bit of success in the 70s and 80s too. I don't like Van Gaal for United, i don't think it suits em, United are a turn on a penny and attack kind of team, direct, strong, well positioned, powerful midfield.

I think i'm the only United fan enjoying Van Gaal's team its something different maybe it's following the modern day trend of possessive football but I feel it's been an interesting watch give it time he will come good

Hes already come good. Its about grinding out results not wasting energy trying to entertain. To be in some many competitions you cant be dazzling. 2-0 shut up shop on to next game.

God save our gracious King,

Long live our noble King,

God save the King!

Send him, victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us;

God save the King!

O Lord our God arise,

Scatter his enemies

And make them fall;

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store

On his be pleased to pour;

Long may he reign;

May he defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the King!

Not in this land alone,

But be God’s mercies known,

From shore to shore!

Lord make the nations see,

That men should brothers be,

And form one family,

The wide world over.

From every latent foe,

From the assassins blow,

God save the King!

O’er his thine arm extend,

For Britain’s sake defend,

Our father, prince, and friend,

God save the King!

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King!

Edited by AtariLegend

Is it true that they tried to get the English to sing La Marseillaise? Listening to 70,000 Englishmen trying to remember their GCSE French is going to be a fairly painful experience.

Yeah I use the word tried very loosely basically no Englishmen sang along and a few hummed something to the tune of there French national anthem .... I did also walk past Wenger and said hello but it was really noisey so I don't think he heard me :(

I mentioned this to my mother who holds a classic Englishman's disposition towards the French and she replied, ''well I wouldn't sing their bloody anthem''. I like the fact that the horrors of terrorism in Paris recently have not removed this haha.

Is it true that they tried to get the English to sing La Marseillaise? Listening to 70,000 Englishmen trying to remember their GCSE French is going to be a fairly painful experience.

Yeah I use the word tried very loosely basically no Englishmen sang along and a few hummed something to the tune of there French national anthem .... I did also walk past Wenger and said hello but it was really noisey so I don't think he heard me :(

I mentioned this to my mother who holds a classic Englishman's disposition towards the French and she replied, ''well I wouldn't sing their bloody anthem''. I like the fact that the horrors of terrorism in Paris recently have not removed this haha.

Does she say 'they used to charge us rent for the trenches in the first war!' and stuff like that? :lol: Bless, I'd love to meet your Mum!

Apparently i only knew the first and the third verse.

That's two verses more than me and most of Wembley knew

I meant of God Save the Queen, not the Marseilles thingie :lol:

Being top 4 and in champs league. Thats success these days. Could actually win prem if they buy a striker.

Who are you talking about, Arsenal?

Utd. Arsenal are just too naive. They don't want to win ugly.

It's really open, good for neutral voyeurs like myself. City have a strong squad.