The love/sex/relationship thread

Lithium

I don't get this sense of respect everyone has for the military. If you saw a marine trying to lure a kid into his van, would you stop it from happening or would you let him do it because he's in the military?

I respect them until they do something to take away that respect, such as the example you mentioned.

Same thing with priests, cops, teachers, etc.

It's just a job like anything else. What's worse though is when military people act like complete asshats and still demand that they be respected because they're in the military. From what I've heard about the military, if you aren't in direct combat, it is absolute cake.

I don't think most jobs require being shipped to the Middle East for a minimum of 12 months, and having most everybody around you trying to kill you. :shrugs:

Except most of our military precense is just in bases not in combat zones having cake jobs.

I don't get this sense of respect everyone has for the military. If you saw a marine trying to lure a kid into his van, would you stop it from happening or would you let him do it because he's in the military?

I respect them until they do something to take away that respect, such as the example you mentioned.

It's just a job like anything else. What's worse though is when military people act like complete asshats and still demand that they be respected because they're in the military. From what I've heard about the military, if you aren't in direct combat, it is absolute cake.

I don't think most jobs require being shipped to the Middle East for a minimum of 12 months, and having most everybody around you trying to kill you. :shrugs:

Truck drivers have a higher mortality rate than military personnel. By your logic, they should therefore be held in higher regard than people in the military, yet they are not.

• Like 2

Truck drivers have a higher mortality rate than military personnel. By your logic, they should therefore be held in higher regard than people in the military, yet they are not.

This. Blind support for "the troops" is one of the most misconceived and superficial things that Amuricans do. The military is a gigantic organization, not everyone in it is a "hero" or a "patriot" or a pristine example of what a person should be (though the US military would very much like us to think that way).

I don't remember who it was, Jon Stewart maybe? Did a segment on this issue, and nailed it, I'll try to find it later.

People don't even realize that a large portion of military personnel never risk their lives, and depending on their job placement, are unlikely to ever be at risk. Like you mention, plenty of professions have higher overall mortality rates. Combat arms jobs within the military will obviously have higher rates of mortality, and be more prone to mental illness, etc.. But not everyone in the military is subject to these risks.

I'm not trying to bash the military, as I've discussed my military experiences with a few members here, but the notion that everyone in the military is a saint and deserves better than the rest of us because they're in uniform, is ridiculous. There are so many professions that contribute service to our nation's infrastructure, defense, and economy that are risky, tedious, and generally not enjoyable that the whole "if you're in a uniform you get special treatment" mentality is so nonsensical to me.

That being said, I've met some truly amazing people in uniform, great examples of perfected honor, leadership, and ability; but they are far less common than one may be led to believe.

Just to reiterate, I'm not bashing the military, I'm bashing the way it's viewed.

Anyone here ever been involved in an affair?

I was propositioned by a married woman once. Didn't find out she was married until half her close were off inside my apartment. When I found out she was, I stopped in my tracks and politely told her I couldn't go on.

This happened during my "Casanova" years.... :P ...around 15 years ago. I met her at a club, she really came onto me....we went back to my place and somehow we started talking about relationships and she spilled the beans - said that her husband was a Marine stationed overseas....so yeah, I had to call it off....no way was I going to shag a man's wife who was risking his life to defend my country.

So that was that.

CLOTHES.

All kidding aside though, that stuff happens all the time; it's disgraceful, and unfortunate. Good on you for making the right call.

• Like 2

Truck drivers have a higher mortality rate than military personnel.

There are 1.37 million Americans who are active personnel in the military, are you backing out the 80% who are not in combat occupations? And what about the 40% that have never been deployed to a combat zone?

What are you talking about?

Guest BB L'Amour

So God created man, and he made him perfect, right?

Then to stop man from beliveing that he himself was God, he created a perfect problem that would never be solved. Something men would fight, beg, kill and die for. Something which would cause unending conflict between brothers for as long as man walked the Earth. He created women.

Sex is fun.

Sometimes it's enough to make you feel good about yourself... and have you thinking stuff like 'If she doesn't call me, that's fine, if she does, more sex, either way, that's fine'.

Sex is dumb.

Sometimes after having it, you feel stupid... and have you thinking stuff like 'the Hell have I just done?'

I guess it all depends on who you have sex with and why.

Guest BB L'Amour

Good friends are always a safe bet, you know where you stand and you're comfortable enough to really have some fun without worrying what they'll think, generally works out fine as long as you're both open and honest.

Guest BB L'Amour

I can honestly say I've never had issues caused by the fact that the person I'm screwing happens to be a good friend, every single monumental failure was brought about by my own vices, therefore I reckon I'm safe in saying it's a tried and tested system that works for the both of you, just as long as you always see them as a great friend you're having some fun with and don't let yourself start thinking it's anything else, keep your head straight though and yeah.. no worries. I mean at the end of the day, everybody likes getting laid.

I understand supporting the troops wholeheartedly. They are your people, arent they? Its not like they start the wars, they just stand up and be counted when the call comes to look after your peoples, its the people making the call that deserve the criticism, other than that why would you not support your troops?

If its a wrong war then its a wrong war but that aint the troops, they deserve respect, whether they are or not they go out cuz they're led to believe their country, their people need em.

We are all where we are because blood was shed to make it so, thats a reality of life, those people deserve immense respect.

• Like 2

What does the armed forces have to do with sex, love, or relationships?

A friend of a friend died the other day, they were serving in Iraq, stepped on a landmine, got killed.

I saw her last Wednesday night walking around Oxford Street (she works security for a club), she's usually very happy and warm, but she was upset, down, depressed, walking around thinking, and I asked what's up and she said.

What does the armed forces have to do with sex, love, or relationships?

A friend of a friend died the other day, they were serving in Iraq, stepped on a landmine, got killed.

I saw her last Wednesday night walking around Oxford Street (she works security for a club), she's usually very happy and warm, but she was upset, down, depressed, walking around thinking, and I asked what's up and she said.

KK didn't have sex with a married woman while her husband was deployed overseas. Then others asked if he would've had sex with her if he'd had another job and it went from there, I suppose.

I tried Tinder, i went through everybody in a 20km radius and only had 5 matches, all of which were spambots.

Ultimately it's pointless because I can't get over my own current issues. I thought I had it beat but the girl I thought I was interested in just ended up serving to remind me that I didn't feel about her the same way I should do.

What issues man?

But i mean what happens when it all goes up the pictures for ya, whats...the sticking point with em? At the risk of talking soppy i really rate your ideal of like...wanting something of substance out of a relationship.

I literally have no idea what the first part of that means Len!

Couldn't give a damn about being soppy though, I'm just not the sort of person to chase anything in a skirt.

I know eventually things will go my way, there are too many people out there. I just need to get my head straight and stop looking for glimmers of hope in throwaway comments.

There are a lot of similarities with and those in D&N thinking that there will be a reunion or new album! That's a bloody worrying conclusion to reach.

I meant what happens, what makes everything go pear shaped in your relationships? Is it the same thing or a similar thing or.....?

Oh thank fuck for that, oh then there's no issue really, it's fuckin'...y'know, the normal run, believe it or not loads of blokes find that perfect bird that they're all into but there's something that don't let it work and it hits you hard a bit but look, it ain't dead-dead right, I mean she's still in your life so there's the chance of something and even if you ain't there's actually a valuable lesson there. I'm really not trying to be patronising or making a thing of the fact that you kinda road test em a fair bit before you decide you ain't interested well this is the other side of the coin. Thats sounds so fucking smug and i don't want it to in any way sound like I'm saying 'oh, well, karma innit?' or any of that bollocks, just the first thing that occurred.

The whole exercise is character building though and I'll tell ya one thing for free, the way you behave with this bird with the situation you've been handed is gonna be really telling. I mean you could get all stroppy and funny and awkward on her cuz things ain't slotted into place for ya right away or you could just be a really really good mate to her. Regardless of whether it leads to yous two getting together I mean.

I say KK should have sex with her despite her husband's job.

I think KK should have sex with her husband because of his job :lol: Like a fetish thing :lol: He could be like Marlon Brando to KK's Robert Forster as in Reflections In A Golden Eye.

Edited by Lennie Godber

I say KK should have sex with her despite her husband's job.

I think KK should have sex with her husband because of his job :lol: Like a fetish thing :lol: He could be like Marlon Brando to KK's Robert Forster as in Reflections In A Golden Eye.

Whatever floats your boat. :lol: