Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Just thinking, it's going to be hilarious (well the internet fans) if Shane beats A.J. and Reigns beats Undertaker on the same night. 

Word is that Taker's hip is well and truly fucked up, he shoot limped out of the ring after Raw last week and really can't move. WWE creative only have one viable option: let Roman turn his "I'm going to retire him" jab into a formal challenge, make the match at Mania a Goldberg-style squash, take Roman full heel, and let Taker go out on his shield doing good business for Roman's turn. Taker is going to be worse in this match than he ever has been, with his hip no longer working. You can't expose him by trying to pretend that 52-year-old Mark Calloway could take the other Samoan Joe in a shoot fight. It's just going to expose the match as wrestlecrap. Do the right thing. Turn Roman heel, end the Undertaker's career, let him get his surgery, and let business be done. 

KO's face is the absolute cutest break in kayfabe I have ever seen. I want to see the two of them hug it out backstage after this. The fact that they can pull off "hating" each other as well as they do is amazing, given how clearly they're still besties. 

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Word is that Taker's hip is well and truly fucked up, he shoot limped out of the ring after Raw last week and really can't move. WWE creative only have one viable option: let Roman turn his "I'm going to retire him" jab into a formal challenge, make the match at Mania a Goldberg-style squash, take Roman full heel, and let Taker go out on his shield doing good business for Roman's turn. Taker is going to be worse in this match than he ever has been, with his hip no longer working. You can't expose him by trying to pretend that 52-year-old Mark Calloway could take the other Samoan Joe in a shoot fight. It's just going to expose the match as wrestlecrap. Do the right thing. Turn Roman heel, end the Undertaker's career, let him get his surgery, and let business be done. 

Why fucking Roman though.... Taker deserves an ending like Michaels retiring Flair or Taker retiring Michaels. Yes, it would get Roman nuclear heat. But not really the right kind. People would legitimately hate his guts for ruining the ending of one of the most iconic wrestlers in history. That's not heel-heat, that's pure rejection. He's already too polarizing. They can't make the crowd accept him doing it the right way and the heel way would just lead to more rejection. 

1 hour ago, username said:

Why fucking Roman though.... Taker deserves an ending like Michaels retiring Flair or Taker retiring Michaels. Yes, it would get Roman nuclear heat. But not really the right kind. People would legitimately hate his guts for ruining the ending of one of the most iconic wrestlers in history. That's not heel-heat, that's pure rejection. He's already too polarizing. They can't make the crowd accept him doing it the right way and the heel way would just lead to more rejection. 

I agree that right now, Roman is getting the wrong kind of heat. But I think that if you could channel it into kayfabe - "I know what you love, and I'm going to take it away from you, because this is my yard, I don't give a damn what you think, you've rejected me so now I am taking my revenge out on you" - you can convert it. I know it's a different set of circumstances, but look at the Young Bucks. They're "heels," but their heat is generated by being over the top unoriginal nostalgia rip-offs to thumb the eyes of wrestling purists. I think there is room to get the "right kind of heat" by using the wrong kind to do your business for you. Again, I would never compare Roman to the Jackson bros, but I think the way you could make heat off of Roman by using factors beyond kayfabe is analogous. 

I also fully acknowledge that this is all polishing a turd. Roman's push is ruined, and it's all a matter of making the most of it. The Rocky Maiavia turn - taking the fan's rejection of the push to fuel a heel run - might just be the only way to reconcile Roman's storyline with the crowd's reactions to him. 

If Reigns turns heel, he'll be pushed harder than ever before. It's a no win situation. 

I can't imagine anything more tedious than a heel Reigns doing Stephanie's bidding. 

Reigns might get some cheers as a heel, but it won't improve the show. He's not Tetsuya Naito and he's certainly not The Rock. 

Edited by AtariLegend

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

Reigns doing Stephanie's bidding

Hah! The only WWE guy allowed to spear Stephanie McMahon. One of the most hated (genuinely as well as in her heel role) people in WWE who never gets her comeuppance. And even that didn't get him over. There's a certain irony in him joining Steph... But hey, if you can't beat 'em... 

Also, probably 2 of the people in WWE fans are most sick of. 

1 hour ago, username said:

So, no plans announced for either Joe or Finn. What matches will they interfere in? 

Also, is anybody else thinking they might have Braun screw Roman so they can save Taker for next year and re-ignite a Roman-Braun feud? 

Joe absolutely interferes in the HHH/Seth match, probably also the JeriKO match. I think he helps KO beat Jericho, then comes out to help HHH beat Seth later in the night with Finn coming out to even the odds. 

2 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I really hope Nakamura isn't put in the Andre the Giant battle royal.

I think it's safe to say Omega made the right choice for his career in the medium term anyway.

They already announced all 30 participants. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WrestleMania_33 

Also, I'm guessing the Smackdown Tag Title is the only one that won't be defended at Mania? Especially since the Uso's and AA are both in the Andre match? 

The card now: 

Preshow:
Alexa Bliss vs. The entire women's roster (SD Women's Title) 
Neville vs. Austin Aries (Cruiserweight Title) 
Andre The Giant Memorial 

Main show: 
Club vs. Enzo/Cass vs. Sheamus/Cesaro (RAW Tag Title Ladder Match) 
Bayley vs. Charlotte vs. Sasha vs. Nia (RAW Women's Title Elimination Match)
Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse 
AJ vs. Shane
Ambrose vs. Corbin (IC Title) 
Trips vs. Seth
Jericho vs. KO (US Title) 
Taker vs. Roman 
Bray vs. Orton (WWE Title) 
Bork vs. Berg (Universal Title) 

2 hours ago, username said:

The card now: 

Preshow:
Alexa Bliss vs. The entire women's roster (SD Women's Title) 
Neville vs. Austin Aries (Cruiserweight Title) 
Andre The Giant Memorial 

Main show: 
Club vs. Enzo/Cass vs. Sheamus/Cesaro (RAW Tag Title Ladder Match) 
Bayley vs. Charlotte vs. Sasha vs. Nia (RAW Women's Title Elimination Match)
Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse 
AJ vs. Shane
Ambrose vs. Corbin (IC Title) 
Trips vs. Seth
Jericho vs. KO (US Title) 
Taker vs. Roman 
Bray vs. Orton (WWE Title) 
Bork vs. Berg (Universal Title) 

Have to keep telling myself, the show isn't for fans like me!

20 hours ago, axlslash said:

Joe absolutely interferes in the HHH/Seth match, probably also the JeriKO match. I think he helps KO beat Jericho, then comes out to help HHH beat Seth later in the night with Finn coming out to even the odds. 

But he'd have to turn at the end because Seth's the one that cost him all that time off and cut short his first title reign.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, moreblack said:

But he'd have to turn at the end because Seth's the one that cost him all that time off and cut short his first title reign.

Remember this is the WWE we are talking about, nothing makes sense.

They will not turn Finn heel right now, he sells merch and kids love him because of the demon attire.

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

That's funny, because most of his merch sales in the past were probably those Bullet Club shirts as a heel.

How many of those were *his*, though? I know he founded it, and I knew it was big in Japan, but my recollection is that Bullet Club really took off internationally while AJ was at the helm.

So one of wrestlemania's marquee matches features a clergyman who was betrayed by one of his disciples. The disciple burned down the clergyman's house and desecrated the grave of the religion's central figure. All the clergyman ever did was try to help the disciple, and yet the disciple stabbed him in the back. In what fucking universe is RKO the baby and Wyatt the heel?! Shit is fucked up.

Other than that, which has been a plot hole in the entire feud, dynamite go-home smackdown. I would watch an entire show of the Mizanins doing total Bella schtick. That was spectacular. I'm sad that Miz and Y2J are on opposite brands. I would love to see megaheel Miz against snarky face Jericho right now. 

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM, PsychoKiss344 said:

Agreed!

Heading to Orlando on Friday, got tickets to Axxess on Saturday...I get to meet Sting and Sami Zayn for 55 bucks not bad!

Or, fantasy booking here that Ryan Satin proposed on pro wrestling sheet, Finn comes in for the save. Does that gun point thing at H like he's been doing at house shows and turns the gun to Rollins. Holds off a real match between Rollins and Hunter till whenever, maybe SummerSlam, and Triple H has a faction of NXT stars. 

2 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Or, fantasy booking here that Ryan Satin proposed on pro wrestling sheet, Finn comes in for the save. Does that gun point thing at H like he's been doing at house shows and turns the gun to Rollins. Holds off a real match between Rollins and Hunter till whenever, maybe SummerSlam, and Triple H has a faction of NXT stars. 

I like that a lot, except I don't want Finn in the NXT star stable. If Finn is getting into a heel stable, I want it to be some form of Bullet Club. I want him and the Good Brothers running through Raw, maybe setting up a Balor Club vs H, Joe, and Owens at SummerSlam. Doing a little long-range fantasy booking, you have the Balor Club set up as the big dog faction on Raw, AJ comes over in a trade between the brands, and build the AJ/Devitt feud for Bullet Club leadership at WM34. Get the big belt on one of them in the buildup, maybe have the other win the Rumble, and let that be the main event. Would be over as fuck with a Mania crowd.

But lol let's be serious, this is the company that books Bork-Berg in the main event and that put the best match on the Mania card on the preshow. Fantasy booking is nice, but will remain a fantasy. 

Honestly wouldn't want Devitt anywhere near Anderson & Gallows. Both are barely nothing more than comedy jobbers. Better for Devitt's career to be as far away from it as possible. It'd be nothing more than a few pops at the start.

Actually Anderson I feel bad for, he actually was pretty decent on his own and the best on the mic out of all of them. Now he's just Gallows sidekick at best. I hope he's making dramatically more than he did in Japan. 

Trying to decide at the minute if it's worth paying network subscription for a month to see Mania/NXT. Normally break around this time of the year or the Rumble, but I have no interest in any of these matches except the Athena vs. Kana match (and that's not enough).

31 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Honestly wouldn't want Devitt anywhere near Anderson & Gallows. Both are barely nothing more than comedy jobbers. Better for Devitt's career to be as far away from it as possible. It'd be nothing more than a few pops at the start.

Actually Anderson I feel bad for, he actually was pretty decent on his own and the best on the mic out of all of them. Now he's just Gallows sidekick at best. I hope he's making dramatically more than he did in Japan. 

Trying to decide at the minute if it's worth paying network subscription for a month to see Mania/NXT. Normally break around this time of the year or the Rumble, but I have no interest in any of these matches except the Athena vs. Kana match (and that's not enough).

This is the first time in a long time that I've been more interested in the WWE PPV than I am in Takeover. Shin/Roode I was good but nothing to write home about, and II doesn't look to be much better. Feels like they're just wheel-spinning. Not to mention that both of those guys should get to put on their entrances in front of the Raw crowd on Monday, but now one of them will be stuck in NXT until they drop the belt at the next Takeover. Dillinger etc vs Sanity feels similarly directionless. AOP are fucking awful and are ruining Revival/#DIY. Ember/Asuka will be a great match, but unless it ends in a double count out, it's going to ruin one of their builds, and double count outs are cop out finishes. I don't think I'm even gonna plan on watching Takeover. I'll read the results/reviews, and if there's something worth watching, I'll find it. 

Just read the NJPW G-1 USA weekend shows in July will be done as major shows instead of just house shows with nothing at stake.

I'd guess 1 night will be for the IWGP Heavyweight Title and the other for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. If Okada survives Shibata next week, don't be surprised if we see Omega vs. Okada II that weekend (if not it'll be another major match). Either way, that's going to be a real killer weekend. The match they put on that weekend, won't be some PWG or indy shtick. It'll likely be ridiculously spectacularly. 

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Just read the NJPW G-1 USA weekend shows in July will be done as major shows instead of just house shows with nothing at stake.

I'd guess 1 night will be for the IWGP Heavyweight Title and the other for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. If Okada survives Shibata next week, don't be surprised if we see Omega vs. Okada II that weekend (if not it'll be another major match). Either way, that's going to be a real killer weekend. The match they put on that weekend, won't be some PWG or indy shtick. It'll likely be ridiculously spectacularly. 

I would expect that weekend to have at least one or the other of Okada/Omega II or the Omega/Cole showdown if Cole hasn't left ROH/NJPW. Either way, that weekend will be insane.