Just completed a lifelong dream yesterday...

OK, that may be overstating it just a bit, but a long term goal I've always had was to listen to both Use Your Illusions back to back in their entirety on a long car trip. Well, men, that dream was finally accomplished yesterday. Went on a 4 hour car trip yesterday to visit a friend and the entire way down was Use Your Illusion filled. It was Perfect Crime this, Don't Damn Me that, Coma splat.

It was both an amazing and tiring experience. I think my main issue is hearing all at once like that kind of makes it all blend together. You can't truly dig into each song IMO and it all goes by too fast. Which is odd, because I've each of the albums on their own at times and love hearing them all the way through. Its very easy to do. But hearing both together it all just flies by. Had I not known the songs for a decade, I don't know if I'd be able to pick out favorites. Certainly is GNR at its height at full display through those two albums though.

Has anyone else accomplished this task? Not necessarily driving, but just both albums back to back in one sitting? Its quite the experience, and maybe not the best way to hear the albums as originally thought.

The UYI saga are a true masterpiece to me.

All of it was epic - the albums, the tour, the early 90s: it was the right band, right sound at the right time and it's still pretty what I listen today, even after more than 20 years

I wish GN'R had kept together going on that direction.

• Like 2

I will say the one really sad thing listening to it yesterday was thinking how good it all is and how this was all the complete end. It was basically a whole "get it out while you can now because this is it", which is both admiring (obviously not how they meant it) and sad. Cause it would have been incredible to see their direction after this. This album just shows they ended way too soon (or I guess the flip side is this is everything left in the tank and we don't know what they would have come up with after it).

Surprisingly I rarely listen to appetite

Same here. Can't even fathom to think of the last time I listened to it, at least all the way through. I hear the singles enough through radio.

Shit. It's too late to nominate you for the Nobel Prize. Maybe if we hurry we can get this on the front page of every newspaper in the country.

Christ.

Christ, maybe you can go fuck yourself. People's lives are on the line.

OK, that may be overstating it just a bit, but a long term goal I've always had was to listen to both Use Your Illusions back to back in their entirety on a long car trip. Well, men, that dream was finally accomplished yesterday. Went on a 4 hour car trip yesterday to visit a friend and the entire way down was Use Your Illusion filled. It was Perfect Crime this, Don't Damn Me that, Coma splat.

It was both an amazing and tiring experience. I think my main issue is hearing all at once like that kind of makes it all blend together. You can't truly dig into each song IMO and it all goes by too fast. Which is odd, because I've each of the albums on their own at times and love hearing them all the way through. Its very easy to do. But hearing both together it all just flies by. Had I not known the songs for a decade, I don't know if I'd be able to pick out favorites. Certainly is GNR at its height at full display through those two albums though.

Has anyone else accomplished this task? Not necessarily driving, but just both albums back to back in one sitting? Its quite the experience, and maybe not the best way to hear the albums as originally thought.

I had gotten the UYI's on cassette the Saturday before they were officially released on the next Tuesday. I listened to them back to back, 2 times in a row that night and then again on Sunday. I don't think I ever listened to them all the way thru ever again though.

I listen to them often but never back to back.

I loved how listening to certain songs I never listened to seemed new to me.

Yeah, both albums are amazing. I remember Slash talking on TMS saying they just wrote the songs down on paper and that's how they recorded them. It's funny how most of the Axl rant songs seem to be on one album. lol

Anyway, so many creative songs on both albums. I wish GNR would have recorded those writing sessions on film. It would have been so cool to see them working on those two albums.

I did this when I got them first time and probably that was the last time.

But I have listened UYI 1 back to back many times, and UYI 2 from back to My World. It is nice of them they put it as a last song so it is easy to skip it in the way as it doesn't exist at all.

Edited by Kater

For a road trip, do a mp3 GNR playlist together, 30-35 songs n make it what u want with a setlist

I've done it , kinda did my girlfriends head in but it's better than the shit she likes, and seeing her belting you could be line out was funny

My favorite time to listen to music is on hikes with the ipod, helps to really take in elements of a song you might have missed if you just have it playing on speakers in the house while you're multitasking.

A 2 1/2 hour block of music with UYI 1+2 isn't that daunting though, considering some artists release 2-3 hour length albums :P

Edited by Gackt

I have heard these albums too much to actually be able to enjoy them as a whole. I sometimes put on a classic song or the West Arkeen instrumentals/demos but that's it. Can't stand tracks like LALD anymore and the most of UYI 1 is bloated fucking filler anyway. AAARGHH we need some new fucking musics from the Axl man, will hope the Beta is read this! The fans are READY!!!! 2015!!!1

As much as I love appetite, I've always felt the illusions were stronger overall. More dynamics, more depth, the whole nine. I only feel like there were 5 or 6 duds overall, and the production is shaky in some places. But out of 30 songs that ain't too shabby. Especially when the great songs are fucking phenomenal.