1986 BEST RAW GNR YEAR - STEVEN AXL TOE TO TOE

looking at youtube videos and not only is Axl screeching in top top form and also an almost complete effortless manner

the band rocks just as good, especially steven

i think i'd put steven and axl as toe to toe in 1986

slash is actually not as good as them

here is an example

are there any other rare or great examples of 1986 just seems axl and steven are the top members of the band in this year

• Like 2

Guitarists generally improve over time. Where as vocalists can suffer over time. There is only so much you can put your vocals through.

Steven is on form in this, and if you notice around the time he started doing coke is when he started suffering. which i beleive was around 87/88

The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked. I would have preferred to continue with Steve, but we'd had two years off and we couldn't wait any longer.

Izzy Stradlin, Musician 1992

I've always felt that when you compare Steven and Matt, Steven has groove and swing while Matt is more of a human drum machine. And I just really prefer that more organic drum sound that Steven has.

Great performance. Absolutely aced it. I agree on Axl's look being dreadful though! :lol: Hair Metal Axl was never my favorite look. :P But his voice here is pretty much untouchable.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Ugh... I don't see anything spectacularly different about Axl's voice here. Actually it is crappy with excessive rasp, he mess up all verses, goes out of breath in many occasions, doesn't sing some parts, disappears for a while and the tone is way lower than in the record.

Ugh... I don't see anything spectacularly different about Axl's voice here. Actually it is crappy with excessive rasp, he mess up all verses, goes out of breath in many occasions, doesn't sing some parts, disappears for a while and the tone is way lower than in the record.

you're dead wrong

it's called a live performance

• Like 1

Now imagine: Ron masturbating his wheedly-wee shit-shred Atari noises all over this.

Or DJ doing his Hogan ears and trying his damndest to carbon-copy Slash.

Or Pitsmann adding "sub bass".

Or Stusson saying "I HATE GNR! FUCKING CORPORATE ROCK!" while mimicking Duff and collecting a fat paycheck.

• Like 1

Incredible performance. Real Guns N' Roses was a great band. Axl is simply killing it on stage, and feeling the music running through his veins. Steven is the highlight of that performance, really.

Thanks for sharing! It's been a while since I first watched that video.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

Now imagine: Ron masturbating his wheedly-wee shit-shred Atari noises all over this.

Or DJ doing his Hogan ears and trying his damndest to carbon-copy Slash.

Or Pitsmann adding "sub bass".

Or Stusson saying "I HATE GNR! FUCKING CORPORATE ROCK!" while mimicking Duff and collecting a fat paycheck.

The horror.

You need ya ears checked..

get your brain done while you're at it.

You need ya ears checked..

get your brain done while you're at it.

agreed the more i watch it the more i think that poster has no clue! haha

man o man it might be the best clip out there however the intro to nighttrain here is UNBELIEVABLE

yes, steven was best drummer of GNR

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

It`s a pity that (apparently) you can`t see the beauty of how much Axl was INTO this performance. Not only Axl but the entire band. It`s just that Axl is the singer and besides he is much more expressive than all the other 4 guys so it shows much more.

On a side note, maybe Slash wasn`t giving his 100% on this because this is an ~Izzy song~ and it is natural that he doesn`t get as much involved as he would if this was one of his songs or a song he helped to write.

But back to Axl. The way Axl sings and moves and gives everything on this performance is a sight to behold. He was giving all that he got and when Axl does that, it is a beauty.