Outdated video formats

Georgy Zhukov

I have never seen a 3D film in my life, but then, I go to the movies about once every three years. Have you got to put stupid looking glasses on?

Avatar was definitely worth seeing in 3D. Load of shite in 2D but worth seeing in 3D.

It was a dumb movie that looked pretty.

I have never seen a 3D film in my life, but then, I go to the movies about once every three years. Have you got to put stupid looking glasses on?

Avatar was definitely worth seeing in 3D. Load of shite in 2D but worth seeing in 3D.

Without a doubt the only worthwhile 3D film experience.

For me the two best 3D experiences I've had were Avatar and Prometheus, both shot native 3D and looking sharp and benefitting from the format. So few movies are shot in native 3D that most movies advertised as 3D look terrible.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Without a doubt the only worthwhile 3D film experience.

For me the two best 3D experiences I've had were Avatar and Prometheus, both shot native 3D and looking sharp and benefitting from the format. So few movies are shot in native 3D that most movies advertised as 3D look terrible.

I completely forgot about the 3D remake of My Bloody Valentine. Even though the film was laughably bad, it was a fun experience having axes flying out of the screen at me :lol:

DVD's used to be suck when they get scratched then they won't play again. I think they approved it over time because I was able to watch a beat up copy of Ali, scratches all over and it played just fine.

In my experience, the opposite is true. Some of my older DVDs are in pretty bad shape, but still play fine,but the newer ones, just need the tiniest of scratches and they become unplayable. Older DVDs (and CDs for that matter) are thicker and appear to be more durable, where newer ones are very thin, to the point that are see-through in some cases, and don't stand up to much.

At least, this is the case in my experience.

I am pretty much done with cinema. Never got into the whole 3D gimmick. Last movie I saw was Godzilla and I was next to some fuck cunt who just took selfies throughout the showing.

Instead I will have my own home theater.

I'm the same way for the most part. Unless it's a big movie for me like Bond I rarely go just to go anymore. Blu-ray and my home theatre set-up usually does the trick.

DVD's used to be suck when they get scratched then they won't play again. I think they approved it over time because I was able to watch a beat up copy of Ali, scratches all over and it played just fine.

In my experience, the opposite is true. Some of my older DVDs are in pretty bad shape, but still play fine,but the newer ones, just need the tiniest of scratches and they become unplayable. Older DVDs (and CDs for that matter) are thicker and appear to be more durable, where newer ones are very thin, to the point that are see-through in some cases, and don't stand up to much.

It occurred to me that DVD is over 10 years old. Lol. The new ones are thinner, probably because of low cost. Blu rays are where it is at.

It occurred to me that DVD is over 10 years old. Lol. The new ones are thinner, probably because of low cost. Blu rays are where it is at.

Yeah, I know, but the reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I still have a 10 year old giant rear projection TV, which isn't HD. It just won't die. It was one of the biggest TV's available when it was new and as long as it works I may as well hang on to it, and don't see the point of getting blue ray until I get a new TV. (I honestly don't watch all that much TV anyway.)

• 2 weeks later...

When someone uses reel projectors did they have to buy a separate audio tape or is the audio in the film? Stupid question I know.

We had a reel projector and a few films (cartoons and a couple of home videos), as far as I remember, there wasn't any audio on them. But I could be mistaken. Or maybe it was just ours.

I used a Betamax years ago. They were fine, and they allowed you to copy videos if you had a VHS and a Betamax

Laserdisc seemed spazzy at the time, but it was something ahead of it's time. The technology is now used in CD, DVD and Blu Ray. If you are ever looking out for the next big thing, always look at technology that is scorned upon, it tends to become big years later

Edited by Mysteron