Why Does Buckethead Wear A Mask?

I've heard a couple of albums, had a flick through that 13 CD monstrosity too. It's not bad bad as in awful and I'd put him above Vai and Satriani in my reckoning just off of the fact that he does a lot of modern sounding stuff, stuff that sounds different, y'know? He could easily slot into a lot of different contexts but like...i dunno, i like songs y'know? I like a tune. Wrong place to be looking for it I suppose cuz he's not really that kind of artist. There's amount of mileage you can get out of perfection, being note perfect to where it gets to sounding like...dull, y'know?

220px-Enter_the_Chicken.jpg220px-Colma_album.jpg220px-Population_Override47.jpg

220px-Racks.jpgmzi.dduuopoa.225x225-75.jpgtransmutation-mutatis-mutandis.jpg

• Like 1

Because without the image he's boring, just like Satriani and Steve Vai, people that take something thats so much to do with free-wheelin' spontaenaity and feeling and turn it into this awful textbook concern that sucks all the Hendrixian beauty out of guitar playing and turns it into a fucking logirithim table.

Buckethead, Vai, Satriani are anything but textbook players, I can't really speak for bucketheads playing as I've only really heard snippets and the gnr stuff, but Vai and Satriani improvise there solo's all the time (free wheelin' spontaneity if you will). You seem to think anyone who studies music, beyond learning the basic minor and major scales/arpeggios/chords is somehow a lesser musician.

Satriani has a feel that could challenge just about any guitar player, he is one of the most well rounded and thoughtful guitar players out there. Hendrix was amazing but, was he thinking about the song and what it needs or was he zonked out of it and just riffing/soloing out of his mind... I think it's the latter. That doesn't make him any better or worse, but the same has to be applied to musicians who take their craft to the next level and learn as much about their instrument as the can, Bumblefoot, buckethead, Fredrik Thordendal, EVH, Vai, Satriani, Eric johnson all these players have taken it to the next level. for anyone to just write them off because their accomplished makes no sense to me.

Also, gutar players like Bucket, EVH, Bumble, Satch are todays Hendrix, people who break the norms. It seems as though you don't like free wheelin' spontaneity after all.

Marketing.

The mysterious mask wearing dude with a bucket who can play guitar really well is much more intriguing than simply a guy who can play guitar really well.

I don't think Buckethead cares about marketing that much, tbh.

Sure he does. Do you think he's doing all this for free? From what I can tell the guy does give away plenty of his music but he also sells CD-R's that he draws on and signs in limited editions of 300. I'm sure his fans buy those up quickly. I doubt the guy is broke.

Marketing.

The mysterious mask wearing dude with a bucket who can play guitar really well is much more intriguing than simply a guy who can play guitar really well.

Sure he does. Do you think he's doing all this for free? From what I can tell the guy does give away plenty of his music but he also sells CD-R's that he draws on and signs in limited editions of 300. I'm sure his fans buy those up quickly. I doubt the guy is broke.

I don't see how would that be considered "marketing", though.

Marketing.

I don't see how would that be considered "marketing", though.

He and his team are marketing these releases to his hardcore fans. If he sells 300 pieces at $25-30 a pop well that's a nice chunk of change. Just because he isn't Dj Ashba-ing himself on social media doesn't mean that the guy isn't very business-savvy when it comes to marketing and selling his albums. He may have a cult following but the marketing done on his website to these hardcore fans has allowed him to have a 25 year career now. That's pretty good for a mainly instrumental guitarist with no real hit albums.

Disclaimer: I'm aware this is a shit post. Too long and off topic. Don't like it, don't read it. :max:

Love Bucketheads contribution to CD. Can't wait to hear the rest of his work on CD2. I'd prefer it over Slash same licks anyway

Slash's same licks. That's the title of his next album. With those same licks he's still a great guitar player. He may surprise you in a Guns setting. Even today.

But yeah... I hope there are more solos on CD ll like Bucket's outro in There Was A Time, I.R.S solo, If The World, Sorry, Prostitute. So many cool ones.

I'm a huge fan of his solo work, and there are really good solos on his Pikes, but it never reaches the refinement of his solos in Chinese. Maybe Axl had something to do with it, but all I know is it sounds great. Note choices are much more precise, like everything is perfect when you listen to the better solos on the album coming from Bucket. Maybe not perfect. His outro in There Was A Time sounds like it has been manipulated. Copy/pasted in a beautiful kind of way.

Like it goes from section A to section B to section C. Cuts right into the next part. It only sounds copy/pasted after whole sections are being played. Even so, Unnatural to Bucket. This is a thing he excels at. Just moving seamlessly with his leads. But I'm nit picking really, cause the quality is just too good to really care about that sort of shit.

Axl edited it as a musician and it was supposed to be a true Guns album, so it makes sense the only remaining original member will dictate more shit musically which means he heard something if he did in fact copy/pasted it and just knew what he wanted. It turned out great so whatever. I don't really feel it's always wise to mess with what people like Bucket create. He can get there on his own, but on the other hand whatever works, and Axl made it work much like how he copy/pasted Brian May's work (what the fuck Axl) and it resulted in a great and unused (what the fuck Axl) solo.

Bucket's There Was A Time solo captures the mood of the song and builds on it. He always knew how to do that too. Great choice to replace Slash. He was right for what Axl was trying to do and his shortcomings stylistically as a Slash replacement just in variation of style were helped by Robin's own unique style and both went really good together so even if it's not a perfect fit like Slash, which actually is a very varied player in his style, (he's very creative and can get a lot of just the pentatonic scale and a few others) it's still great guitar playing with 2 distinct tones that are recorded really well with loads of layers of guitars to make it as powerful as what Slash did in Guns.

Gave me everything I want from a Slash-like combo of 2 guitar players with different styles that, together, know how to do the fast Slash thing and the lyrical solos thing and they bring something of their own to the table as well so it has personality and it fits with Axl's voice and melodies. Like how Robin's first does a solo in There Was A Time and in a very different style but it works with Bucket's outro and the song feels coherent, especially all the guitars.

I kinda think of it like Slash was so good as the lead guitar player in Guns, that you kinda need to recreate that versatility and quality with 2 lead players. Nobody can do Slash but Slash. So you go bigger, with 2 different lead players which gave Axl the chance to tick all the Slash boxes. I think that eventually, that's what Axl was trying to do and he pretty much did it with Chinese cause the Bucket/Robin thing really worked in a Guns context and with Axl's voice. Not as amazing like when there is perfect chemistry, Axl's voice plus Slash's guitar, but it's still great and has that timeless thing about it for me. Beta recognize.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I like the Buckethead persona.

You could argue it is a gimmick to make him more interesting but I think it makes you just focus on what he is playing, well I mean to say I just view him as a faceless guitar player and I don't have any interest in knowing who he fucks or what his hairline is like.

Because without the image he's boring, just like Satriani and Steve Vai, people that take something thats so much to do with free-wheelin' spontaenaity and feeling and turn it into this awful textbook concern that sucks all the Hendrixian beauty out of guitar playing and turns it into a fucking logirithim table.

Hendrix was amazing but, was he thinking about the song and what it needs or was he zonked out of it and just riffing/soloing out of his mind... I think it's the latter.

You don't know shit about Hendrix. Everything is very toughtfull, every song has exactly what it's supposed to have. Every note is intended.

Listen to this shit, notice how every riff and every sound comes from thinking. His musical thinking process was fast, he just "felt it" but even when he was high and sloppy, he still expressed what he "felt". (was thinking)

Edited by Rovim

Hendrix was amazing but, was he thinking about the song and what it needs or was he zonked out of it and just riffing/soloing out of his mind... I think it's the latter.

You don't know shit about Hendrix. Everything is very toughtfull, every song has exactly what it's supposed to have. Every note is intended.

Listen to this shit, notice how every riff and every sound comes from thinking. His musical thinking process was fast, he just "felt it" but even when he was high, he still expressed exactly what he "felt". (was thinking)

No offence but you just talked a load of bollocks there :lol: Its deliberate yes but its also improvisation, its the development of motor skills to serve alongside a certain knowledge but hes not far wrong in saying that those solos weren't exactly something you could ask Hendrix to transcribe.

On the one hand you're saying 'its thoughtful' and on the other hand you're saying he 'felt' it. By that reckoning Tom would be wrong no matter how he answered :lol:

Listen to this shit, notice how every riff and every sound comes from thinking. His musical thinking process was fast, he just "felt it" but even when he was high, he still expressed exactly what he "felt". (was thinking)

No offence but you just talked a load of bollocks there :lol: Its deliberate yes but its also improvisation, its the development of motor skills to serve alongside a certain knowledge but hes not far wrong in saying that those solos weren't exactly something you could ask Hendrix to transcribe.

On the one hand you're saying 'its thoughtful' and on the other hand you're saying he 'felt' it. By that reckoning Tom would be wrong no matter how he answered :lol:

No. I'm not saying that. I wrote "felt" cause it's just thinking. What I meant was it always came from thought. Bollocks:

Edited by Rovim

I knew a metaller once who thought Hendrix was dreadful. As in really awful. And he'd argue this with me too. I've met people who say he aint there cup of tea or they like such and such better but never someone who said he was shite. His position was that his lyrics were stupid space age acid era nonsense and his guitar playing was a load of directionless hippie noodling.

Further corroborating my deeply held prejudice against metallers and their lack of taste when it comes to music :lol:

Listen to this shit, notice how every riff and every sound comes from thinking. His musical thinking process was fast, he just "felt it" but even when he was high and sloppy, he still expressed what he "felt". (was thinking)

I listen to Hendrix, I'm open minded to different players, can you say the same thing? You seem to have missed my whole point though (which, maybe wasn't the clearest). I wasn't saying Jimi was a bad player, I called him an innovator and put him up with the other great guitarist of the last 30/40 years. You're completely biased, I've heard Hendrix play with a completely out of tune guitar, playing awful, awful music... surely, you can't say he intended that, or that it was good. And I've heard him on numerous occasions playing coherently and knocking it out of the park... he was not perfect, and this " Everything is very toughtfull, every song has exactly what it's supposed to have. Every note is intended" is certainly not the whole truth. Great improvisor, and a huge influence on the guitar.

I know enough about rock n roll and Jimi Hendrix to know his importance, and I'd never try to diminish his achievements, he was a great, innovative player and in that way he is similar to players like Buckethead, EVH, Vai, Bumblefoot etc. because each one of those continually come up with new techniques and musical concepts that push the boundaries of what a guitar is supposed to be able to do.

• Like 1