Live-Action Zelda on Netflix

rocknroll41

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/

Surprised there hasn't been a thread done on this yet. Wasn't sure if this belonged on here or over at Lokk at Your Gameboy.

Personally, I thik this is great! Zelda is rich with so much lore that deserves to cross over into other mediums, and I feel like it's been long enough since the 1989 cartoon that they can try this again. I hope they do an anthology type of series where each season is based on a different game.

What do you guys think?

I'm really hoping for a teaser trailer, panning through a lush looking Hyrule, all the familiar landmarks are there, Death Mountain in the horizon and maybe a wee bit of the Zelda theme, fully orchestrated in the background, then it zooms up onto a ridge and we see the silhouette of Link , he turns to the camera and draws the Master Sword, glinting in the sunlight...

"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess!"

"The Legend of Zelda, Coming Soon."

• Like 1

Yeah, the source on this is 'some guy at Netflix'.

I'd be surprised if Nintendo let Netflix use the rights to Zelda. But if they did it would be tough to make a show out of it. The games charm revolves around the gameplay and puzzles, it's not really a story driven game, and the lead character doesn't even speak.

If they had Link speak in the show I can't see fans of the video game franchise taking it seriously.

• Like 1

I think the world can be converted into a decent show, but they're going to have to take a lot of creative liberties to make it a good drama, if that's what they're aiming for. I have no idea who could play who though.

Wonder if they'll keep Link a mute or not. I can see it working, but that might make it hard to make him an interesting character in a TV sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the world can be converted into a decent show, but they're going to have to take a lot of creative liberties to make it a good drama, if that's what they're aiming for. I have no idea who could play who though.

Wonder if they'll keep Link a mute or not. I can see it working, but that might make it hard to make him an interesting character in a TV sense.

I think having him not talk would be a very smart move. It would force the filmmakers to have to find creative visual means for Link to express his emotions and communicate with other characters. Too many films and TV shows these days take the lazy route and use expository dialogue and exposition to get information across to the audience. Filmmakers seem to have forgotten these days the films and TV are for showing, not telling.

if Link does need to talk, I think he should only say a few lines at most, kinda like Edward Scissorhands. That character never spoke much yet people loved that movie.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...