Brain speaks about Guns (and Buckethead)

What's interesting about his laughing at Bucket is that IIRC they were friends, weren't they? I thought that Brain was one of the people who got Bucket into the band. Having said that, if he was even doing the puppet shitck behind the scenes with the band and their management, that's just bizarre...hilarious, but bizarre.

http://youtu.be/HApn34ML5U4

lol

I wonder if Bucket had his mask on board as well

Edited by Liquor & Whores

Axl is crazy. Watching the whole show with pyro,confetti and all that at 4AM, sitting on a couch, when the band had already played for 2.5 hours, Buckethead is breakdancing on Paradise City at 7AM. and didn't see them until Rio.

Like that story, when he watched guitarists auditioning for GNR.

Great interview, playing with a Bonham-set was a brilliant idea Brain.

Edited by Silent Jay

Geez the backlash starts now! So if there's no reunion tonight, you all are just gonna bash Axl. Not mentioning the fact Slash & Duff quit, can't have been easy dealing with millionaire junkies. GnR right now is the shits but at least somebody tried to rescue it instead of walking away not giving a shit.

What does being a junkie have to do with putting out music? The other guys only make axl look all the more ridiculous if he was the one that was supposed to have their shit together. Just cause they didn't give a shit about Axl's vision, they're allama far more productive than Axl ever could hope to be.

I've always said this and I'll always stick by it even in the face of all the Bucket fans "cooler than thou" attitude: Not only do I not get or dig the whole Bucket schtick, but I think it totally takes away from his talent.

• Like 2

I don't think anything takes away from his talent, but it certainly puts people off from giving his talent a fair shake. I kind of get a kick out of the schtick now that I've gotten into him, but it took me a while to get into him because of the schtick.

• Like 2

To be honest, he's kinda laughing at bucket.

It kinda makes me angry, but undestanding.

Even why axl liked him. I think Axl knew him better than brain in some way.

Dude...it's fucking funny. Friends can have a laugh at each other. As he explained afterwards, though, he clearly understands (as well as anyone could) why Bucket does what he does and respects his reasons for it.

I dig Bucket`s schtick he was perfect for " New Guns N`Roses " it was a band of so called freaks but they had potential I`m sure they made brilliant music which is locked in Axl`s famous "vault". Whether we will ever hear any of those songs is another subject. Bucket was Axl`s chance to do something good and different too bad he blew it up.

Edited by Dark Knight

Geez the backlash starts now! So if there's no reunion tonight, you all are just gonna bash Axl. Not mentioning the fact Slash & Duff quit, can't have been easy dealing with millionaire junkies. GnR right now is the shits but at least somebody tried to rescue it instead of walking away not giving a shit.

What. The. Fuck.

:blink:

Zealotism at it's finest.

Another thread ruined.

My sentiments exactly dude. It quickly turned into a personal bitch/bash-fest and completely off topic. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Why can't these kinds of thread wreckers just have a personal pm fight or start their own argument thread so the rest of us can just talk about the actual thread and not be forced to scroll through page after page of done to death insults and stuff?

Back on topic... The Brain podcast was kind of cool and a bit insightful to me. Nothing really surprising. I already assumed that most of this kind of stuff in the GNR world was pretty much already going on anyway. Not sure why Axl wouldn't want to run through the setlist a few times with his band before he does a big show like RiR3 though but that's his business and perogative...

Edited by Crowebar
  • Like 2

As someone else said, it seems really strange that Axl noticed and cared about the kick drum but he doesn't care how rotten DJ is. It makes me wonder if the reason for that is because he's already got all the solos he needs on tens of finished songs from Bucket, Robin and BBF and all he needs from DJ is someone reliable who can play Robin's stuff.

Maybe if you enjoy listening to the same old song.

We do enjoy listening to the same old songs. That's why we still follow Axl and attend his shows, which are still primarily made up of songs he wrote pre-1991.
I was talking about Slash. Can you get off my back now please.

As someone else said, it seems really strange that Axl noticed and cared about the kick drum but he doesn't care how rotten DJ is. It makes me wonder if the reason for that is because he's already got all the solos he needs on tens of finished songs from Bucket, Robin and BBF and all he needs from DJ is someone reliable who can play Robin's stuff.

well... i guess making a mistake in a song you're about to record is not the same as making ocassional mistakes while playing live. If the mistake goes to the album, it will be there forever and there won't be way to fix it.

well... i guess making a mistake in a song you're about to record is not the same as making ocassional mistakes while playing live. If the mistake goes to the album, it will be there forever and there won't be way to fix it.

I think I have a pretty good point and I don't think the chasm in Axl's priorities can be explained by one thing being for a record and another thing being live. The way Brain explained it, the 'mistake' was so minimal that he, the engineer and everyone else there thought it was so unimportant that they were happy to send the track to Axl. There is a vast difference between that and what DJ does on e.g. Patience and TIL at EVERY show. Not occasional, and not so insignificant that nobody notices or cares.

Another aspect is how shitty he has gotten at others' mistakes in the past, stopping the song and completely embarrassing Frank/Dizzy/Pitman/Brain wheras DJ seemingly gets a free pass, even with several members of the band stood there looking at eachother and mocking him.

• Like 1

this is why Brain or Freese interview are so much more interesting than Adler's whining or Sorum's talking bullshit

What kind of bullshit did Matt Sorum talk about?

His solo album and dolphins.

Was this a recent interview by Sorum your referring to?

Edited by amacfantasy

Frank Ferrer should not have Recorded or Re Recorded drum parts in CD, Brain was in the band for a long time and I assume he was in the band for more than 6 years, so in that period he did record alot of stuff, most of the CD was complete in 2002, IF Ashba joined the band in 2007 then most prob Axl would have made him also Re Record Robin's parts

Frank Ferrer should not have Recorded or Re Recorded drum parts in CD, Brain was in the band for a long time and I assume he was in the band for more than 6 years, so in that period he did record alot of stuff, most of the CD was complete in 2002, IF Ashba joined the band in 2007 then most prob Axl would have made him also Re Record Robin's parts

They also had Brain rerecord drum parts that Josh Freese had already done, a huge waste of time and money

I think I have a pretty good point and I don't think the chasm in Axl's priorities can be explained by one thing being for a record and another thing being live. The way Brain explained it, the 'mistake' was so minimal that he, the engineer and everyone else there thought it was so unimportant that they were happy to send the track to Axl. There is a vast difference between that and what DJ does on e.g. Patience and TIL at EVERY show. Not occasional, and not so insignificant that nobody notices or cares.

Another aspect is how shitty he has gotten at others' mistakes in the past, stopping the song and completely embarrassing Frank/Dizzy/Pitman/Brain wheras DJ seemingly gets a free pass, even with several members of the band stood there looking at eachother and mocking him.

Dude, first this is not a competition on who has a point or not. Truth is you dont have any point and I dont have it either. We have opinions based on bullshit. You are not Axl Rose and I'm not Axl Rose.

I was merely giving an opinion on why I think he would be pickier for stuff that goes to the album than for stuff that happens while playing live. And about Brain's mistake, maybe for him it was minimal but for Axl was important to have that kickdrum there, for whatever reasons. After all, this was Axl's album and as the owner of such material, he will be the only one who cares about it more than anyone else. The rest of the musicians are employees who will never care for the record as much as the artist who's putting their name on it. And this happens in all fields, when you hire people to work for you, you gotta check every shit their do and oftenly they will label you as "picky" when you point out even the smallest mistake. That's why some people are bosses and others are employees.

All these guys that have left since Slash left for the same exact reasons--not because they hate Axl, but they hate the lateness to gigs, long periods of inactivity, Axl working to own selfish schedule, music but no lyrics, etc.

Slash just gets shit because he was an equal to Axl when he said enough. But it continues to be literally the same exact reasons for ex-member after ex-member.

Brain seems like an interesting cat, but you can just tell he doesn't have the Guns mentality. Not sure how Axl or he ever thought it was going to work...