Which lineup has more credibility: Slash/Duff/Gilby et al. or Axl/Dizzy/Duff or Izzy et al.

izzy92

Axl > > > > Myles Kennedy even at his most fucked up phase I can`t stand Kennedy`s voice I want to smash something everytime I hear him yelp it`s horrid.

than don't listen to him; listen to the washed up has been who's put out one mediocre record in 20 years, suit yourself

I do not think anyone has called it 'GN'R'. Many however believe it is more GN'R than Axl's circus.

the people of argentina have spoken, nobody else, I just thought it funny cause S. america's axl's home away from home

If you do not get Izzy you really are just getting a half arsed circus version of GN'R (like the 1992-3 band) since he is the one who wrote much of the material. That song Axl is singing, Patience? Well you can remove that from your setlist for a start. Sweet Child has to go also since he wrote the chords. I just do not understand why anyone would minimise Izzy's contribution. Izzy is the only guy to have walked from that band with his integrity 100% intact.

how is izzy the only guy to walk away with his integrity intact? and who exactly minimized Izzy's presence? Didn't Slash and Duff both quit after the tour was complete? I'd say Slash and Duff were more professional than Izzy by honoring their commitments before leaving the band, wheras Izzy jusy bailed on them, and the millions of fans that bought the album and went to see the shows.

• Like 1

Axl > > > > Myles Kennedy even at his most fucked up phase I can`t stand Kennedy`s voice I want to smash something everytime I hear him yelp it`s horrid.

than don't listen to him; listen to the washed up has been who's put out one mediocre record in 20 years, suit yourself

I do not think anyone has called it 'GN'R'. Many however believe it is more GN'R than Axl's circus.

the people of argentina have spoken, nobody else, I just thought it funny cause S. america's axl's home away from home

I don`t think what I listen to is your business take your instructions and get a grip.

I don`t think what I listen to is your business take your instructions and get a grip.

then stop complaining, you sound worse than my 4 year old nephew crying for his daddy

then stop complaining, you sound worse than my 4 year old nephew crying for his daddy

You need a tissue pal ? Lol, what an irony I can say exactly ths same about you, all you do is post petulant drivels. Stop acting like a forum police for heaven`s sake.

If you do not get Izzy you really are just getting a half arsed circus version of GN'R (like the 1992-3 band) since he is the one who wrote much of the material. That song Axl is singing, Patience? Well you can remove that from your setlist for a start. Sweet Child has to go also since he wrote the chords. I just do not understand why anyone would minimise Izzy's contribution. Izzy is the only guy to have walked from that band with his integrity 100% intact.

how is izzy the only guy to walk away with his integrity intact? and who exactly minimized Izzy's presence? Didn't Slash and Duff both quit after the tour was complete? I'd say Slash and Duff were more professional than Izzy by honoring their commitments before leaving the band, wheras Izzy jusy bailed on them, and the millions of fans that bought the album and went to see the shows.

Izzy quit just before the white underpants, horrendous videos and Axl's tyrannical power grab. Izzy has an impeccable sense of timing.

How old is Myles Kennedy?

I want some of the people who likes making videos here (like that one comparing Paradise City throughout the years) to make a comparison of Myles Kennedy singing GN'R songs and Axl singing them, when Axl was his age.

Take Rocket Queen or WTTJ or PC or SCOM...

Come on! :bitchfight:

Myles is to slashs band what DJ is to Axls band, no more no less. They both completely suck ass in their own awful ways. Trying to say either one is better than the original makes you look like an ass hat. That's like saying a tribute band is better than the original, or a rebooted movie is better than the original.

Lets all be real here, Axl in his prime pissed all over Myles. Myles wouldn't have stage presence if he was singing into a mirror, he is literally one of the most boring frontman I have ever seen live, Which includes bands like Saliva and Pappa Roach.

Now as for DJ, he had a dream as a child, that he would grow up and be like Slash, but little did he know, he actually gets to be Slash. Which just goes to show, with a little hard work you too can become a completely generic replacement for an original. Just make sure you have your eyeliner on before you go on stage....

Both DJ and Myles perform gnr songs well, (well is relative, lol). Neither of them perform then half as good as the original, and anyone that thinks other wise should have their eye lids wrapped around their heads and attached to their ass. That way they can get a good view of their own asses, so they are reminded what an ass looks like, because that's what both DJ and Myles equal, ass.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

Izzy quit just before the white underpants, horrendous videos and Axl's tyrannical power grab. Izzy has an impeccable sense of timing.

forgot about the white underpants -- never was really big on the video's anyway

How old is Myles Kennedy?

I want some of the people who likes making videos here (like that one comparing Paradise City throughout the years) to make a comparison of Myles Kennedy singing GN'R songs and Axl singing them, when Axl was his age.

Take Rocket Queen or WTTJ or PC or SCOM...

Come on!

Why do u people in even Compare Myles with Axl? Myles is not trying to be Axl, he is just covering the songs? Slash is not using the GNR name and calling his band as GUNS N ROSES, Slash is making new stuff unlike Axl

Axl back in the Appetite Era was amazing, but man there is no comparison, Myles is good in what he does and Axl is in good what he does, even though Axl doesnt do shit

As for Ashba, he is the one who came in a band called Guns N Roses and he came in to fill Slash's shoes who just covers guitar parts of Slash and Robin, Whereas Myles is in SLASH's band which is not called GUNS N ROSES and they have amazing songs of their own too

• Like 2

Myles is to slashs band what DJ is to Axls band, no more no less. They both completely suck ass in their own awful ways. Trying to say either one is better than the original makes you look like an ass hat. That's like saying a tribute band is better than the original, or a rebooted movie is better than the original.

Lets all be real here, Axl in his prime pissed all over Myles. Myles wouldn't have stage presence if he was singing into a mirror, he is literally one of the most boring frontman I have ever seen live, Which includes bands like Saliva and Pappa Roach.

Now as for DJ, he had a dream as a child, that he would grow up and be like Slash, but little did he know, he actually gets to be Slash. Which just goes to show, with a little hard work you too can become a completely generic replacement for an original. Just make sure you have your eyeliner on before you go on stage....

Both DJ and Myles perform gnr songs well, (well is relative, lol). Neither of them perform then half as good as the original, and anyone that thinks other wise should have their eye lids wrapped around their heads and attached to their ass. That way they can get a good view of their own asses, so they are reminded what an ass looks like, because that's what both DJ and Myles equal, ass.

Best post of the thread and I didn't even have to bother making it. Thanks.

• Like 2

If you had to go watch a 3 hour show of Guns N Roses material, which lineup are you going to see?

Myles Kennedy

Slash

Duff

Gilby

Frank Sidoris

Todd Kerns

Brent Fitz

Axl

Duff OR Izzy

Dizzy

DJ

Bumblefoot

Richard

Chris

Frank

Anything that features Ashba has no credibility. Period.

Basically, neither of these has any real GnR credibility.

Yes, Axl/Izzy is the essence of what became GnR. But the rest of that group makes it bloated and a bit.. made. I guess.

Just Slash and Duff isn't GnR either, but still that ensemble is credible as a band.

The closest thing to real GnR credibility post-1993 happened at the HoF.

The 1998-2002 GnR lineups were very credible as a creative force (despite my intense dislike for Bucket's look and at the time Finck's look). Just... looking back it shouldn't have been called GnR.

The 2006-2008 lineup was very credible looks-wise, but imo it was a step down creatively from the 1998-2002 lineups.

Then Ashba joined and the band started doing their uninspired neverending same shit different day tour and nothing else. Nothing about that is credible in any way.

Edited by username

Why do u people in even Compare Myles with Axl? Myles is not trying to be Axl, he is just covering the songs? Slash is not using the GNR name and calling his band as GUNS N ROSES, Slash is making new stuff unlike Axl

Axl back in the Appetite Era was amazing, but man there is no comparison, Myles is good in what he does and Axl is in good what he does, even though Axl doesnt do shit

As for Ashba, he is the one who came in a band called Guns N Roses and he came in to fill Slash's shoes who just covers guitar parts of Slash and Robin, Whereas Myles is in SLASH's band which is not called GUNS N ROSES and they have amazing songs of their own too

Great post - really, really great post.

And most of the Myles hate on here is SOLELY based on the fact he is Slash's singer. I used to make fun of the guy until I sat down and actually started listening to some of their live shows. He isn't Axl Rose, and doesn't have the talent that Axl once possessed. Myles will never be in the Hall of Fame for singers - no doubt. But he is really pretty good and a capable singer. He has greatly improved on the GnR songs. And UNFORTUNATELY, he is probably a better live singer than Axl is at this stage of the game. He doesn't have his Home Run concerts like Axl still does (see the last round of vegas shows) - but he is amazingly consistent. And that's something Axl isn't. Myles isn't going to be out of breath, he isn't missing lyrics, his voice isn't going in and out of key - he just gives a strong show every night. With Axl you get a home run or a strike out......with Myles you just get a solid double every time.

Does Myles voice get irritating after awhile? Yes. I can never make it all the way through Axl's last album. After about 7-8 songs I get tired of Myles voice.

But live? Take away the weird Axl worship and anything Slash does must be evil bias that so many on this forum have, and a non-biased listener would tell you that Myles consistently sounds better than Axl does on a nightly basis.

Go listen to the concert video that somebody posted of the show from a couple nights ago. Myles sounds pretty good. To say that he sounds horrible is just ridiculous from an objective stand point. I'm not saying personal preference, as I'd much rather go see Axl any day of the week. But Myles isn't as bad as a few of you make him out to be.

• Like 1

@ Apollo,

Couldn't someone say the exact same thing about Ashba as what you just said about Myles? He isn't going to be in the hall of fame of rock guitarists, but night in and night out he does go out and play the gnr songs pretty solidly. Which I agree Myles does as well. I'm just of the opinion what is good for the goose is good for the gander, you can't sit and bash Ashba but talk about how great Myles is. Just like you said "He's just the guitar player in Axls band." I just don't see any difference, if you are in Slash's band you are playing tons of guns songs every night. Sure in gnr you play more guns songs, but that's kinda splitting hairs. Myles knew full well he was going to have to sing gnr songs, just like Ashba knew he was going to have to play them. I just don't see any difference their, except people prefer to praise Myles and bash DJ. Well I for one would rather keep it fair and just bash them both....

The main mistake people do here is comparing just the ability to remain on key, not go out of breath, between Axl and Myles. ROCK N' ROLL WAS NEVER ABOUT THE VOICE, DOUCHEBAGS! :rofl-lol:

Yes, that Myles Kennedy dude is an okay singer and he does all his homework when he sings live, but this is not fuckin' American Idol nor The Voice or whatever reality show where singers have to be perfect or go home. This is rock n' roll, this is about being crazy, singing fine but not being a Pavarotti.

Myles Kennedy is an ok singer (in my opinion) and he goes fine with songs that are not GN'R. Now when he has to sing GNR, he doesn't do anymore than destroy the fuckin' experience for any GNR fan who knows what is good.

The only thing some people are rescuing from Myles here is his "steady vocal delivery".... dude, if I wanna listen to a perfect singer, I'd rather pay a ticket for the opera... if I wanna see a rockn'roll show, I wanna go to one where the frontman isn't a boring, arm-raising happy go lucky virgin choir-boy... get it?

And this has nothing to do with Slash.... why bring Slash here? Oh yeah, you know why SLash picked such a weak frontman? Because He's the rockstar... if he had to share the stage with an Axl Rose kind of frontman, he would have serious problems. And that's fine with me, cuz ultimately, he's the owner of his own band.

• Like 1

I ran out of likes so I'm quoting here just to say :thumbsup: to these posts...

@ Apollo,

Couldn't someone say the exact same thing about Ashba as what you just said about Myles? He isn't going to be in the hall of fame of rock guitarists, but night in and night out he does go out and play the gnr songs pretty solidly. Which I agree Myles does as well. I'm just of the opinion what is good for the goose is good for the gander, you can't sit and bash Ashba but talk about how great Myles is. Just like you said "He's just the guitar player in Axls band." I just don't see any difference, if you are in Slash's band you are playing tons of guns songs every night. Sure in gnr you play more guns songs, but that's kinda splitting hairs. Myles knew full well he was going to have to sing gnr songs, just like Ashba knew he was going to have to play them. I just don't see any difference their, except people prefer to praise Myles and bash DJ. Well I for one would rather keep it fair and just bash them both....

Now replying this one:

People here compare Myles to Axl all the fucking time. It's a sport and that's the way it is.

Slash is not using the name GNR and calling his band as GNR simply because he legally cannot. Had he gotten the rights to work under the GNR name, have no doubts he would be using it and milking it out. This is not an ONG.

Dj Ashba is a guitarist hired to play in Guns N' Roses and every night he has to play songs that were written by Slash. However, Ashba also gets to play songs that were written by Buckethead and Robin Finck, amazing songs that belong to Chinese Democracy, an album Slash has nothing to do with.

What's the difference between Myles and Ashba? :shrugs:

The main mistake people do here is comparing just the ability to remain on key, not go out of breath, between Axl and Myles. ROCK N' ROLL WAS NEVER ABOUT THE VOICE, DOUCHEBAGS! :rofl-lol:

Yes, that Myles Kennedy dude is an okay singer and he does all his homework when he sings live, but this is not fuckin' American Idol nor The Voice or whatever reality show where singers have to be perfect or go home. This is rock n' roll, this is about being crazy, singing fine but not being a Pavarotti.

Myles Kennedy is an ok singer (in my opinion) and he goes fine with songs that are not GN'R. Now when he has to sing GNR, he doesn't do anymore than destroy the fuckin' experience for any GNR fan who knows what is good.

The only thing some people are rescuing from Myles here is his "steady vocal delivery".... dude, if I wanna listen to a perfect singer, I'd rather pay a ticket for the opera... if I wanna see a rockn'roll show, I wanna go to one where the frontman isn't a boring, arm-raising happy go lucky virgin choir-boy... get it?

And this has nothing to do with Slash.... why bring Slash here? Oh yeah, you know why SLash picked such a weak frontman? Because He's the rockstar... if he had to share the stage with an Axl Rose kind of frontman, he would have serious problems. And that's fine with me, cuz ultimately, he's the owner of his own band.

Good post. Myles is very "safe", also consistent as others have pointed out. But he is never going to make the hairs on your arm stand up, never. Which is why Slashs albums with him are good musically but not much lyrically or vocally, because the dude is vanilla. If I wanted to listen to vanilla music, I'd listen to pop or country. This is rock and roll, all the great frontmen have had more personality in their big toe than Myles has in his entire body. Fucking Adam Levine is more rock than Myles is. He is the Tom Jones of current rock singers. But Tom Jones had better stage presence....

Good post. Myles is very "safe", also consistent as others have pointed out. But he is never going to make the hairs on your arm stand up, never. Which is why Slashs albums with him are good musically but not much lyrically or vocally, because the dude is vanilla. If I wanted to listen to vanilla music, I'd listen to pop or country. This is rock and roll, all the great frontmen have had more personality in their big toe than Myles has in his entire body. Fucking Adam Levine is more rock than Myles is. He is the Tom Jones of current rock singers. But Tom Jones had better stage presence....

Exactly.... so if this is the "only-voice" competition then there are lots of singers out there who could beat the shit out of Axl, singing wise.

It's not about that... it's about the passion and anger it requires to sing Rocket Queen, WTTJ, Paradise City.

I think the point with rock singers is that it isn't just about vocal chops. It's about having stage presence, emotion and the charisma to sell the material.

There are rock singers out there who are legitimately technically excellent and have wonderful skills, such as Dio, Freddie Mercury, etc. But then there are also people like Vince Neil who miss every other word and sound like dying parrots (IMHO) and black metal singers who just scream through every song- and they are all selling out shows. They've all got legions of devoted fans. Why is that? Taken quantatively they're great *performers* who know how to draw in a listener or audience member and engage them in some way.

Having seen both Myles and Axl perform in the last few years - Myles is great. He sounds awesome. I don't enjoy listening to him sing GnR songs but I do like hearing his other stuff. Axl doesn't sound as technically strong at the moment (in songs with lower register like Patience he still does...) but he's got so much charisma - and it doesn't necessaarily carry over in recent videos - that when you're at a show you're not sitting there nitpicking his voice. You're enjoying yourself, because he brings it. If Axl were in top form and someone gave him Myles' songs to sing it might be just as out of place. Both singers have their individual merits and drawbacks and you don't have to bash one to prop up the other IMHO.

Edited by stella

I guess Ronnie James Dio's vocal delivery was far too good to be rock n'roll, wasn't it?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

No of course not, but let's talk about the band that your username comes from, VH. Most fans prefer the Roth years. He had more presona, could entertain an audience, had tons of charisma. Now look at Sammy, he was BY FAR the more talented singer, but yet VH was better with Roth, why is that? The rest of the band was the exact same, only the singer changed.

To be fair to Sammy, he has all of the great frontman qualities as well, he just doesn't have as much of them as Dave or Axl does. But Sammy does have the ability to let his voice carry his performances, just like a guy like Dio had. But the main reason why VH with Sammy worked is because they still wrote many good if not great songs, not as many as they did with Dave, but enough to be a quality and legit band. Which to cycle this back to Myles is exactly what Slash and Myles are missing, hit songs. They have some good songs yes, but if they had one song that really took off, it would really put some distance between Myles and Axl. Same goes for Nnugnr, as much as I do like CD, it doesn't have a true hit on it. Had it had, or if the next album does, that will put some distance between classic and current guns. Which that's why both eras of VH have legitimacy while the Cherone era does not, no hits....