Which lineup has more credibility: Slash/Duff/Gilby et al. or Axl/Dizzy/Duff or Izzy et al.

izzy92

We need a pie chart for this. Axl is like 50% of GNR. Slash is about 40% , Izzy is 7%, and Duff is 2%. Dizzy doesn't even make a percentage point because his contribution is too small. But all the other members make up the 1%.

Conclusion, Axl's GNR is always more of GNR than any other combination.

The headline of the topic doesn't match what your questions is inside the topic.

Credibility or which show would we rather see. Two different things.

This is a GnR forum, so obviously most people will pick the Axl line-up.

I'd go see an Axl show over a Slash show any day of the week.

With that said, I'd also be annoyed to see that the old guys were mostly back together again - without Axl - and that they would be putting out new albums every two years. So five years from now that band would have released two albums together and we'd still be waiting for CD2.

Edited by Apollo

Neck and neck. Axl and either Duff or Izzy is 2/5 of GN'R. Slash and Duff is also 2/5 of GN'R. It is that simple. I had to watch one, I might just be tempted to give the latter the nod because I prefer Gilby over Dizzy. The HOF line up was 3/5 GN'R so the HoF lineup is more legit than the above two. There was also the Izzy/Steven/Duff line-up which played the Appetite anniversary. That is 3/5 also.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I really liked Myles' voice in the Argentina stream during the GNR songs. He looks more confident? I don't know if anything changed or it's just me imagining things. All I know is that I enjoyed it. So between Myles and current Axl (seen last time in 2014 struggling to sing - no, I was not impressed by his Prostitute performance) I'd pick Myles today.

As for the rest of the band, as much as I like keyboards and large bands, GNR sounds a lot better with 2 guitars, 1 bass, drums and some piano here and there.

So by that token Velvet Revolver was mostly GNR? The fuck it was. Axl accounts for way more than 1/5th of their sound.

But you can say that about Izzy or Slash also. Izzy wrote all of the songs, all of the decent songs anyway, and Slash was this iconic presence.

The way I see it...

First tier members: Axl/Slash/Izzy. They collectively account for about 70% of GN'R (approx 23% per member)..

Second tier: Duff accounts for about 15% of GN'R

Third tier: Adler, accounts for about 8%

Fourth Tier: Matt, Gilby and Dizzy, all on about 2-3% each.

So the biggest percentage from any given combination, is the more legit Guns N' Roses.

• Like 3

I saw Axl/Duff/Dizzy last year and i saw Slash/Duff/Gilby last weekend. If only GNR material is played, id go with the second one. Myles singing improved a lot IMO, specially on GNR songs. I love Axl but he sounded like shit when he came to Argentina last year.

The GNR songs they played last weekend(Slash Duff Gilby) sounded better than the three times i got to see Axl's band.

So yeah, today and with 2014 Axl's singing, i go with Slash/Duff/Gilby.

LMAO!

Guns N' Roses without Axl?

you all :crazy: !!!!!!!!!!

Anything with Axl on it, even if he's sitting on a wheelchair, is going to be huge and rock legend. Myles Kennedy ruins the GN'R songs with his invisibility, horrible voice and zero stage presence.

LMAO!

Anything with Axl on it, even if he's sitting on a wheelchair, is going to be huge and rock legend. Myles Kennedy ruins the GN'R songs with his invisibility, horrible voice and zero stage presence.

Yeah because today Axl doesnt have a horrible voice and has A LOT of stage presence...

• Like 1

LMAO!

Yeah because today Axl doesnt have a horrible voice and has A LOT of stage presence...

Axl doesnt have a horrible voice and even when he sucks, the guy is singing his own songs, the lyrics he wrote and feels with the heart.

I heard Myles Kennedy attempting to sing Rocket Queen and I cringed at every word. It is fuckin' horrible. Terrible. No rocknroll in those veins. Nothing.

Axl walks on the stage and he's already loved by the masses because he's a legend. Do you have a clue what legend means? He has this whole background and baggage in his shoulders, thats why he doesnt need to do much, just be Axl.

• Like 2

The headline of the topic doesn't match what your questions is inside the topic.

Credibility or which show would we rather see. Two different things.

I agree the headline of the thread is misleading.... Mostly because by credibility he's implying that Slash is trying to work out a Guns N' Roses 2 and I think that's not the case. Actually Slash got annoyed when the crowd started chanting GNR.

Slash playing with some ex-gunners shouldn't be considered GNR.

• Like 1

Axl's the face and voice of the band - the lead singer almost always is. I couldn't imagine a GnR without Axl any more than I could imagine Aerosmith without Steven Tyler or the Stones without Mick Jagger. Same reason I can't really bring myself to see Queen now; it doesn't feel like Queen without a living, breathing Freddie Mercury onstage.

As far as who would make up the band if we're talking about the R-word, the triumvirate for me would be Axl, Slash and Duff. Everyone else would be replaceable IMHO. Those are the three that have always been the most visible, known, and, probably, liked, and IMHO they are also the three that contribute the most to the band's classic sound. I couldn't care less about Izzy and both of the classic drummers have their drawbacks and advantages, as has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1