Jamie Foxx Addresses Aristotle and Shakespeare, Ruins Everything

magisme

Theres something rather grating about the idea of using one of the fathers of modern thought as a scheme to sell pretty shoes.

Then again i (and to be fair a great many in the South East) use his name as slang for 'arse' so who am i to talk.

Edited by Len B'stard

It's also the whole attitude of, "Those old guys have nothing to teach us. They don't know about our days. Shakespeare never could have fathomed a human like Steph Curry!" :lol:

I mean, I get that the hyperbole is part of the schtick, but it gets under my skin, man.

I've hated Jamie Foxx ever since the Jamie Foxx Show. It doesn't get better after watching those ads. This reminds me of the Golden Age of Humanity thread KK made a few months ago. (Where is he, btw, does everyone just disappear??) We are the greatest.

Aristotle certainly was an intellectual innovator and a bright individual, but he's getting way too much attention these day. He, like more or less all classical philosphers, should definitely be taught for a day or two in universities, as part of the history of science or, philosophy, but that's about it. Much of what he thought and said has been discarded, replaced or refined by intelligent thinkers and scientists these 2000 years since he lived. He put down some good stones for the foundation (well, part of the lower part at least), and many that led to ramshacle structures that have crumbled or sent us on the wrong paths for decades and centuries, but the wall of knowledge that we have today is built by thousands of people of more or equal importance today in an accumulated effort. But I guess we need heroes, and philosophers have managed to make him into a contemporary hero. He simply is a good example of a very intelligent and creative individual, but with modest relevance today. It is much more important to spend our valuable curriculum time to keep students updated on what we actually know today, rather than the mostly irrelevant musings of people back in the bronze age.

As for Shakespeare, I agree completely, still it only weakly registers on my outrage-o-meter. To borrow from Wodehouse, if not actually disgruntled, I am still not completely gruntled.

Edited by SoulMonster

"Under Armour" :lol:

Funny how these world class athletes managed to break records in their youth in dirt-poor conditions wearing nothing but a pair of baggy shorts and some worn-out flip-flops. All a bunch of shit (and I type this while I'm wearing an "athletic" top and tracksuit bottoms :lol: ).

Decades they've been trotting out the "increased padding = increased performance" crap for shoes, and now they're marketing all these "barefoot" shoes, for the same extortionate prices. If I'm getting less padding/material, shouldn't I be paying less? Reminds me of when I was in the supermarket with a mate and he pointed out that the Reduced Sugar & Salt Baked Beans should cost less than their regular counterparts, not more :lol:

They just reek of Madison Avenue bullshit. You can just see and hear the meetings in front of storyboards.

Shakespeare would probably laugh at that ad, considering Jamie Fox, an actor, is performing in front of what can only be considered one of the largest "stages" on the planet: a television audience.

It's ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than this:

• 2 weeks later...

Theres something rather grating about the idea of using one of the fathers of modern thought as a scheme to sell pretty shoes.

Dunno like. I always said it was all a load of fuckin' cobblers. :lol:

*gets coat*