US Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic leads school to apologise

Amir

131220235918-greene-pledge-of-allegiance

This is certainly partly the reason why a lot of European countries don't like it. It reminds us too much of that.

The 'god' part is in a world as it is today, with many religions or no religions at all too outdated, certainly in the eyes of the northern european countries.

Speak for yourself.

it reminds me how Great Britain is, and how much Germany suck.

Germany: A land of people so weak they let an Austrian guy take them over.

France: A land so pathetic they let the Nazis just roll in and walk around Paris as if it was their own.

Great Britain has nothing to be ashamed of about the past.

Germany and France are pathetic.

They let Hitler rule them, there I said it.

Edited by Snake-Pit

This is certainly partly the reason why a lot of European countries don't like it. It reminds us too much of that.

The 'god' part is in a world as it is today, with many religions or no religions at all too outdated, certainly in the eyes of the northern european countries.

Speak for yourself.

France: A land so pathetic they let the Nazis just roll in and walk around Paris as if it was their own.

Churchill has a new heir.

• Like 1

It's not about shame. It's about what it stands for.

A country where people believed they were better than any other country and better than any other race.

I just said, why I know many people in my country are not liking it. It's not necessarily my personal opinion.

Edited by MB.

A country where people believed they were better than any other country and better than any other race.

I just said, why I know many people in my country are not liking it. It's not necessarily my personal opinion.

Well, if Germany wasn't so foolish with Hitler, you might be able to find a patriotic German, but since they was and that whole world war happened, it seems like they're ashamed to show any national pride, and well, serves them right.

Jewish parents have to stop complaining about kids speaking Arabic. End of.

It offends me that New York sided with the parents. How dumb is that?

I want an official apology from that state.

Well, if Germany wasn't so foolish with Hitler, you might be able to find a patriotic German, but since they was and that whole world war happened, it seems like they're ashamed to show any national pride, and well, serves them right.Jewish parents have to stop complaining about kids speaking Arabic. End of.

Hitler promised people hope at a time where they all had nothing to live for. For some pot head to simplify it down to "Germany was stupid" is insulting to anyone with an intellect. I in no way support Hitler, but you are a fucking moron sometimes. Also, Britain has NOTHING to be ashamed of in history? Ever? India? If you take a look without blinders on, any country has reason to be ashamed.
  • Like 2

Well, if Germany wasn't so foolish with Hitler, you might be able to find a patriotic German, but since they was and that whole world war happened, it seems like they're ashamed to show any national pride, and well, serves them right.Jewish parents have to stop complaining about kids speaking Arabic. End of.

Hitler promised people hope at a time where they all had nothing to live for. For some pot head to simplify it down to "Germany was stupid" is insulting to anyone with an intellect. I in no way support Hitler, but you are a fucking moron sometimes. Also, Britain has NOTHING to be ashamed of in history? Ever? India? If you take a look without blinders on, any country has reason to be ashamed.

Nah, Europe was much worse.

Speak for yourself.

Tell dem Rudie, tell dem :lol:

You can't just sweep Europe under the table like that and be like... Yeah but...

Napoleon even, little lone Hitler, both in fact (according to the History Channel at least) modeled themselves on the Anti-Christ. :lol:

If they were um, so great, then why did they suck?

Britain helped breed that stupidity witnessed in Germany through starvation and that was stupid of Britain but also, I'm actually painfully aware that you're all speaking English in this thread, so, shut the Hell up - If some kids in land that my ancestors stole from Native Americans want to pledge allegiance to the flag in Arabic, then do it damn it and don't get all butt hurt it sounds Arabic. Y'all should be happy it's not in Navajo.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Well, if Germany wasn't so foolish with Hitler, you might be able to find a patriotic German, but since they was and that whole world war happened, it seems like they're ashamed to show any national pride, and well, serves them right.

You are just envious because of this,

rihanna-world-cup.jpg

You can't just sweep Europe under the table like that and be like... Yeah but...

Napoleon even, little lone Hitler, both in fact (according to the History Channel at least) modeled themselves on the Anti-Christ. :lol:

If they were um, so great, then why did they suck?

Britain helped breed that stupidity witnessed in Germany through starvation and that was stupid of Britain but also, I'm actually painfully aware that you're all speaking English in this thread, so, shut the Hell up - If some kids in land that my ancestors stole from Native Americans want to pledge allegiance to the flag in Arabic, then do it damn it and don't get all butt hurt it sounds Arabic. Y'all should be happy it's not in Navajo.

#1, you used the history channel in an argument. You lose.

#2, you're doing the standard Snake Pit thing where you argue something that no one is talking about.

#3, I don't give a fuck that they did the pledge in any language. Once I realized I wasn't legally required to do it, I sat quietly and respectfully while others did.

You are clueless. I didn't sweep anything underthe rug, you did. "Germany was foolish," is a ridiculously oversimplified (and wrong) statement. Desperate people do desperate things. I feel like I'm in the scene in Donnie Dario where the teacher boils everything down to love and fear, and he reminds her that it's more complicated than that, like the entire spectrum of human emotion.

There's certainly the argument that if Germany hadn't have been punished so hard for the First World War Hitler and the Nazis wouldn't have been able to get a foothold.

Thats a bit more than just a good argument, thats pretty much a fact really.

What do you feel was shameful that happened in India?

Speak for yourself.

Great Britain has the blood of millions on its hands and subjugated a quarter of the globe, plundering natural resources and stamping out indigenous cultures and languages. Our global legacy is horrific and ongoing with our participation in Iraq (113,728 CIVILIAN deaths for absolutely fuck-all apart from the replacement of a dictator with a protracted insurgency and access to oil. That's not terrorists or enemy combatants, that's ordinary working men, women and their children) and continued funding of the Israeli military.

I'm ashamed of being British.

Far be it from ''stamping out indigenous cultures and languages'', the British (a small British elite) usually appropriated the indigenous language, and something of the culture and ran the empire through proxy, via an indigenous larger elite. Colonialism is now seen as a much more complicated process than what Graeme implies. It it is now seen as a two-way process of 'acculturation', by which the imperial metropolis is as impacted as much as the periphery. There is also a class aspect; native elite often found themselves having more in common with the British elite than their own lower castes and allied themselves with European interlopers in order to fill a previously vacated vacuum of political and military power. (This is essentially how the British acquired India.) Britain's imperial administration was always too small anyhow to 'stamp out an indigenous culture or language'' (which would entail a huge excise of military and fiscal power). There were parts of the Raj, particularly in the princely states, which were barely impacted by the Calcutta administration. It was similar in Africa, which, to a large extent, had only recently been colonised during the late 19th century 'Scramble'. In China, Europeans only succeeded in making inroads around the marginals of, this great and sophisticated culture.

It is actually doing many of the indigenous cultures, in which there is a rich continuation of pre-colonial tradition, a great disservice to imply that their cultures were eradicated somehow by a paltry number of Europeans. In actual fact, something of the reverse happened. Britain appropriated some of the mores of colonial societies in order to justify her status as an imperial power. Moustaches for example were essential for the Victorian gentleman, essentially because, for Indians they are a sign of masculine maturity and to be clean shaving is to be, effeminate, homosexual. Other colonial exchanges include, 'bungalow', curry, tea. There were also, intellectual exchanges. Far be it from ''stamping out languages'', languages such as Hindi, Arabic and Cantonese were added to the syllabuses of Britain's universities to benefit future British administrators. Many of the big linguistic and literary translations and revelations are a product of empire, e.g. the (re)discovery of Indo-European.

During the 18th-early 19th centuries there was actually a gossipy agenda known as, ''going native''. Here you had British gentlemen marrying local elite women and basically, to all attempts and purposes, becoming completely Asiatic, altering their religion and dress codes and sometimes even becoming opponents of Britain. It is true that this practice dissipated with the spread of Victorian (Christian) morality (and various penal and sumptuary regulations), but it did not completely vanish altogether.

The only argument that can be made for 'stamping out indigenous cultures', is in the white settler colonies, America, Australasia, etc. White settlements aimed to create Neo Europes in a wilderness of perceived 'barbarity'. Natives were pushed out to the marginals of land, grazing rights disrespected and treaties broken. Further, there was little incentive for European settlers to learn indigenous languages. The problem with this argument is, it rarely is a reflection on any sort of 'British' metropolitan policy, but speaks more for the actions of colonial pioneers operating independent of Westminster. In fact, if anything, Britain did its best to curb the expansionism of its plantation colonies - witness Britain's impediments on the Boer Republics resulting in two wars!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Perhaps in America we should start teaching our kids how to build bombs and suicide vests instead of the pledge.

Or, just to speak other languages...

We do speak other languages.Our country is made up of immigrants. We pledge allegiance to the country that gives us that freedom to do so, or not. Not to mention that a 6 year old should be learning his native language first.

• Like 1

Far be it from ''stamping out indigenous cultures and languages'', the British (a small British elite) usually appropriated the indigenous language, and something of the culture and ran the empire through proxy, via an indigenous larger elite. Colonialism is now seen as a much more complicated process than what Graeme implies. It it is now seen as a two-way process of 'acculturation', by which the imperial metropolis is as impacted as much as the periphery. There is also a class aspect; native elite often found themselves having more in common with the British elite than their own lower castes and allied themselves with European interlopers in order to fill a previously vacated vacuum of political and military power. (This is essentially how the British acquired India.) Britain's imperial administration was always too small anyhow to 'stamp out an indigenous culture or language'' (which would entail a huge excise of military and fiscal power). There were parts of the Raj, particularly in the princely states, which were barely impacted by the Calcutta administration. It was similar in Africa, which, to a large extent, had only recently been colonised during the late 19th century 'Scramble'. In China, Europeans only succeeded in making inroads around the marginals of, this great and sophisticated culture.

It is actually doing many of the indigenous cultures, in which there is a rich continuation of pre-colonial tradition, a great disservice to imply that their cultures were eradicated somehow by a paltry number of Europeans. In actual fact, something of the reverse happened. Britain appropriated some of the mores of colonial societies in order to justify her status as an imperial power. Moustaches for example were essential for the Victorian gentleman, essentially because, for Indians they are a sign of masculine maturity and to be clean shaving is to be, effeminate, homosexual. Other colonial exchanges include, 'bungalow', curry, tea. There were also, intellectual exchanges. Far be it from ''stamping out languages'', languages such as Hindi, Arabic and Cantonese were added to the syllabuses of Britain's universities to benefit future British administrators. Many of the big linguistic and literary translations and revelations are a product of empire, e.g. the (re)discovery of Indo-European.

During the 18th-early 19th centuries there was actually a gossipy agenda known as, ''going native''. Here you had British gentlemen marrying local elite women and basically, to all attempts and purposes, becoming completely Asiatic, altering their religion and dress codes and sometimes even becoming opponents of Britain. It is true that this practice dissipated with the spread of Victorian (Christian) morality (and various penal and sumptuary regulations), but it did not completely vanish altogether.

The only argument that can be made for 'stamping out indigenous cultures', is in the white settler colonies, America, Australasia, etc. White settlements aimed to create Neo Europes in a wilderness of perceived 'barbarity'. Natives were pushed out to the marginals of land, grazing rights disrespected and treaties broken. Further, there was little incentive for European settlers to learn indigenous languages. The problem with this argument is, it rarely is a reflection on any sort of 'British' metropolitan policy, but speaks more for the actions of colonial pioneers operating independent of Westminster. In fact, if anything, Britain did its best to curb the expansionism of its plantation colonies - witness Britain's impediments on the Boer Republics resulting in two wars!

Of course it was more complicated, you don't think I set out to summarise the entirety of the social repercussions of the British Empire in three sentences, do you? But have a look at your own paragraphs, the word you use most frequently to describe the principal beneficiaries of colonialism is "elite", both indigenous and British. If the empire managed to permit a small number of wealthy locals to profit off the back of plundering the natural resources which many more relied upon then it's hardly something to be proud of, is it? Same with the slave trade, Germany is no longer gassing Jews to death in the same way that the UK is no longer kidnapping Africans and forcing them to work for nothing, so, according to Snakes' logic why can Britain hold its head high but Germany should be ashamed of its past?

Perhaps in America we should start teaching our kids how to build bombs and suicide vests instead of the pledge.

Or, just to speak other languages...

We do speak other languages.Our country is made up of immigrants. We pledge allegiance to the country that gives us that freedom to do so, or not. Not to mention that a 6 year old should be learning his native language first.

I know, Spanish is spoken in the United States, but it seems in a school in the state of New York, people care what a bunch of idiot biased against Islam Jewish people think or a bunch of retards who think Walmart is next to Mexico because 'it's their community' :), so no matter how much these parents are wrong, they still get their way and New York apologises for the incident.

Edited by Snake-Pit