Old School Hip-Hop

J Dog

9 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Old school?, fuck no a few weeks old but close your eyes and it's sounds like it's 1995, i'm feelin this one. Sounds like a cross between Mighty Healthy and Incarcerated Scarfaces

I'm nice, i hit targets whenever i squeeze

Don status get my dick sucked whenever i please

Above the law brick, beat cases don't cop pleas

I buy my cars, but ya'll n!ggahs whips be leased

I'm a wolf on the loose, somebody find this leash

I'm a star yous a starburst sweeter than fruit

No kinda background you claimed killa but who did you shoot

Must'a imagined that with your far fetched raps

Yeah that shit is hard. I thought Only Built for Cuban Linx 2 really brought the old Wu spirit too.

• Like 2

Yeah OB4CL 2 was killer, only thing is Rae has had more of a relaxed delivery on the last few albums instead of that machine gun type spittin that he used to do which i guess you can put down to age...kinda like i haven't got shit to prove i'm just rappin cause i can and i still got lyrics. This one he sounds pissed off and hungry which is cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah OB4CL 2 was killer, only thing is Rae has had more of a relaxed delivery on the last few albums instead of that machine gun type spittin that he used to do which i guess you can put down to age...kinda like i haven't got shit to prove i'm just rappin cause i can and i still got lyrics. This one he sounds pissed off and hungry which is cool.

Very true. You notice that, the more recent solo releases sound more Wu than the actual recent Wu releases?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Very true. You notice that, the more recent solo releases sound more Wu than the actual recent Wu releases?

Yeah that's down to RZA who unfortunately doesn't know how to make RZA type beats anymore which is a shame, i think his priorities lay elsewhere now anyway and i don't think the rest of them see him a leader anymore. There is hope though seeing Ghost has been given the reigns apparently and that dude has always picked the sickest beats.

• Like 1

I think RZA hit some kind of mid life artsy phase or something. I got no problem with trying different things but you can get carried away. But I trust Ghost. I mean, where the fuck did he get the idea for this from :lol: and made it awesome.

ps Slick Rick is the coolest motherfucker on the planet

• Like 2

Slick Rick has that cool weirdness too, no wonder Ghost and Rae love him. This shit is about a slave becoming the pharaoh's prize rapper.

His flow is so smooth you don't even realize how good his rhyming is.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, J Dog said:

I think RZA hit some kind of mid life artsy phase or something. I got no problem with trying different things but you can get carried away. But I trust Ghost. I mean, where the fuck did he get the idea for this from :lol: and made it awesome.

ps Slick Rick is the coolest motherfucker on the planet

drugs? :lol: 

15 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah i know it's not like a deep cut but i like it :D

Awful

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

The Art of Storytelling is so good. I'd call it one of rap's most overlooked classics. Ricky's flow is just insane.

The features are great too. Ain't tryna claim things I haven't earned honest man. 

18 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i still don't get the diff between hip hop and rap....this all sounds like what i thought rap was. hip hop is maybe not as gritty? please explain :)

Hip hop is a lifestyle. The dress. The swag. The graffiti. Rap is the music that reps the lifestyle. 

Just now, drtydane said:

Hip hop is a lifestyle. The dress. The swag. The graffiti. Rap is the music that reps the lifestyle. 

i prefer the explanation @J Dog gave me but thanks for playing! you won a complete set of Encylopedia Britannica!

1 minute ago, drtydane said:

Cuz i listen to good rap, and that's ems worst album, obviously. 

and i like what i like. one person's "good rap" can be another's crap dude :)

He would agree with me I think. Also I think I should win the grand prize. 

I think @J Dog would agree

Hip hop:

A name for the 4 elements of the late 70's New York City renaissance which includes break dancing, emceeing, (rapping) graffiti, and turntablism.
Rap is something you do Hip Hop is something you live
- KRS One
Edited by drtydane

On 2/28/2017 at 8:46 PM, J Dog said:

Me Against the World gives me a certain feeling. Deeper than nostalgia, and it's the same feeling every time. Masterpiece is the correct word Crazyman.

If I Die 2Nite is probably a top 3-5 Pac song for me, but I was actually gonna post Old School until I saw it was on the first page :lol: (Edit: and by first page I mean literally the first post lol)

Agreed 100% though. Most people know All Eyez On Me (which is also great, obviously, and I can't wait to see the movie of the same name), and the 7 Day Theory but for me this album is always gonna be his best. 

Sad that he died so young with so many projects lined up too - I love One Nation and all the unreleased solo stuff he was doing at the time. The man had an incredible work ethic, probably because he knew he was gonna die. 

Edited by Crazyman