Old School Hip-Hop

J Dog

He said hip hop and rap are the same thing. And that's incorrect. Rap is an element of hip hop. Didnt  you read that krs quote? That was always my understanding. And if you don't know who krs is, you should DEF check him out. 

25 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

@drtydaneLOL well he actually explained it to me so...and what is this grand prize of which you speak??

here condemn this as well :P but i LIKE it!

And that's classic snoop and dre. I'm a huge Eminem fan. But that album is garbage.

1 minute ago, drtydane said:

He said hip hop and rap are the same thing. And that's incorrect. Rap is an element of hip hop. Didnt  you read that krs quote? That was always my understanding. And if you don't know who krs is, you should DEF check him out. 

And that's classic snoop and dre. I'm a huge Eminem fan. But that album is garbage.

so does the whole album have to be great? and i am unclear, do you consider this song garbage?? i willingly admit i am no expert like you guys who know all this rap/hip hop stuff but like wine and art i know what i like :)

5 hours ago, drtydane said:

Hip hop is a lifestyle. The dress. The swag. The graffiti. Rap is the music that reps the lifestyle. 

Yea if we're getting deep I'd say hip hop is the lingo, the style, the attitude. Rap is rapping. My answer to her was more about this thread, old school hip hop or old school rap, I think either is fine.

5 hours ago, drtydane said:

Cuz i listen to good rap, and that's ems worst album, obviously. 

Easily his worst. Couldn't tell you the last time I actually listened to a song from it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yea if we're getting deep I'd say hip hop is the lingo, the style, the attitude. Rap is rapping. My answer to her was more about this thread, old school hip hop or old school rap, I think either is fine.

Easily his worst. Couldn't tell you the last time I actually listened to a song from it.

hey give me a break! i'm just learning :P and to be fair i did post that Eminem song before @drtydane ;) ( the good one, not the apparently horrid one :D )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazyman said:

If I Die 2Nite is probably a top 3-5 Pac song for me, but I was actually gonna post Old School until I saw it was on the first page :lol: (Edit: and by first page I mean literally the first post lol)

Agreed 100% though. Most people know All Eyez On Me (which is also great, obviously, and I can't wait to see the movie of the same name), and the 7 Day Theory but for me this album is always gonna be his best. 

Sad that he died so young with so many projects lined up too - I love One Nation and all the unreleased solo stuff he was doing at the time. The man had an incredible work ethic, probably because he knew he was gonna die. 

That unreleased stuff is so hard. Really raw. Crazy thing is he still sounded hungry and passionate. That's after 5 albums, selling millions, and still rapping like he's on fire. That's special.

Yea If I Die 2Nite is one of my favorites. That album man, it's so deep and personal, it's almost like hip hop blues. So Many Tears, Me Against the World, its all great.

"I woke up and screamed fuck the world"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

That unreleased stuff is so hard. Really raw. Crazy thing is he still sounded hungry and passionate. That's after 5 albums, selling millions, and still rapping like he's on fire. That's special.

Yea If I Die 2Nite is one of my favorites. That album man, it's so deep and personal, it's almost like hip hop blues. So Many Tears, Me Against the World, its all great.

"I woke up and screamed fuck the world"

i was talking to my friend who's a musician and i played a Tupac song and he reeled off all these things i never even knew about him like he acted and about his mom was a Black Panther and other things and i was like so impressed yet depressed that such a talent was wasted. he told me all about what happened. crazy. i think i might have gone by where Tupac was gunned down when i was in Vegas for the GN'R concert. anyway, sorry this is off topic, i am afraid to try and post a song here now!

32 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i was talking to my friend who's a musician and i played a Tupac song and he reeled off all these things i never even knew about him like he acted and about his mom was a Black Panther and other things and i was like so impressed yet depressed that such a talent was wasted. he told me all about what happened. crazy. i think i might have gone by where Tupac was gunned down when i was in Vegas for the GN'R concert. anyway, sorry this is off topic, i am afraid to try and post a song here now!

I had the same thought when I went to Vegas (in '06, right around the 10 year anniversary of his death). Was originally gonna stay at the MGM since my Grandparents used to work there (and were working there the night he was shot). I wanna move where they used to live (Henderson).

Anyway, speaking of OG Pac, this was one of my favorites on UTEOT, but the OG is way better (and he remixed it for "Road To Glory"):

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

I had the same thought when I went to Vegas (in '06, right around the 10 year anniversary of his death). Was originally gonna stay at the MGM since my Grandparents used to work there (and were working there the night he was shot). I wanna move where they used to live (Henderson).

Anyway, speaking of OG Pac, this was one of my favorites on UTEOT, but the OG is way better (and he remixed it for "Road To Glory"):

wow they were there?? i bet they had stories to tell! :) oh that is a great song!

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

25 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow they were there?? i bet they had stories to tell! :) oh that is a great song!

Well at the hotel, yes. I'd assume they were upstairs working and never saw him, though. 

I'll have to ask my Grandma if she remembers anything from that night next time I talk to her. 

• Like 1

OG version of When We Ride On Our Enemies. They fucked this up so bad on Better Dayz, they even cut out the "you can tell by the hate in my eyes" part, that's one of the hardest parts of the song.

And this, my goodness Pac could get vicious when he wanted. Biggie, Mobb Deep, Jay Z, everybody gets it.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2017 at 4:24 PM, Crazyman said:

I've been on the biggest Pac binge of my life lately...listening to all the OG version of his post-humorous releases, 

Heard this one?

Those boys sounded so good together. Every song they did was great.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, drtydane said:

All out is so badass. Everything I owe sounds pretty sloppy on until the end of time but the second verse is BADASS. also I agree about me against the world being his best effort. That era, thug life included is PAC at his best. 

Thug Life Vol. 1 is sick. Love that album.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, J Dog said:

Heard this one?

Those boys sounded so good together. Every song they did was great.

I have, and I agree with what you said - Snoop and Pac had some great chemistry. I remember watching Pac's interviews right after he got out of jail (and before All Eyez On Me was released) and he was hyping up 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted like it was the greatest song ever, and in multiple interviews. You could tell he and Snoop liked and respected each other.

I always thought the og beat for When We Ride On Our Enemies was strange....one of the only times I think they did a better job replacing an og beat. 

Speaking of the Thug Life era, I'd post one of my favorite lesser-known songs (Loyal 2 The Game) but it was just posted I think :lol: Instead I'll go with an Outlawz track that I love the OG of:

• Like 1

well seeing as how i have seen other people post things  not "old school" why not? and i have posted WHITE rappers ( well one ) native american rappers, and i just found an Egyptian rapper i might post. so...

here's a legit "old school" hip hop song for ya:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

4 hours ago, drtydane said:

No it's called old school hip hop. Trey songz doesn't fit the bill. You're just posting black artists. And not old school hip hop artists. Ja rule? Really??

don't front Ja Rule had some hits...its just that 50 was a problem 

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1