Old School Hip-Hop

J Dog

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

Just the fact that Pac put Red & Meth on All Eyez on Me jumped Redman man way up in my book.

Pac wanted to sign the Wu to Death Row east no?. Maybe it could have worked but Wu were so in their own lane in what they were doing it was probably for the best to not have the likes of Suge poking their noses in.

14 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Pac wanted to sign the Wu to Death Row east no?. Maybe it could have worked but Wu were so in their own lane in what they were doing it was probably for the best to not have the likes of Suge poking their noses in.

Yeah Suge would've needed to stay his big butt on the west coast and just let them keep doing their thing. It could've been cool though. I could handle a Kurupt/Daz and Raekwon/Ghostface team up.

Here's Got My Mind Made Up with Inspectah Deck's unreleased verse. "I-N-S the rebel"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah Suge would've needed to stay his big butt on the west coast and just let them keep doing their thing. It could've been cool though. I could handle a Kurupt/Daz and Raekwon/Ghostface team up.

Here's Got My Mind Made Up with Inspectah Deck's unreleased verse. "I-N-S the rebel"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  REBEL INS PUTTIN' IT DOWN BOI!!

And nobody was signing The Wu, their thing was set up different, they had also individual solo deals and then a together deal for group tracks, no way Death Row would've wore that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  REBEL INS PUTTIN' IT DOWN BOI!!

And nobody was signing The Wu, their thing was set up different, they had also individual solo deals and then a together deal for group tracks, no way Death Row would've wore that.

Yeah that shit was too big to ever happen. No way Suge could've done all that. He might've gotten some east coast rappers, maybe even a couple from the Wu, but not all of them and def not them as a group.

What you think, Deck was the most overlooked from the Wu? Maybe him or GZA, but at least GZA has a certified all time classic album. I always liked the Inspectah.

Edited by J Dog

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

Yeah that shit was too big to ever happen. No way Suge could've done all that. He might've gotten some east coast rappers, maybe even a couple from the Wu, but not all of them and def not them as a group.

What you think, Deck was the most overlooked from the Wu? Maybe him or GZA, but at least GZA has a certified all time classic album. I always liked the Inspectah.

Deck is the star of 36 Chambers for me, he absolutely murders everything he's on. Of course everyone rips on that but guys like Ghost and Rae got way better with time whereas Deck came straight out of the gate swinging. Of course he was supposed to be in the first batch of solo records but the basement flood wiped out the beats that were meant for him, i could envisage a cross between Tical and Liquid Swords beats suiting Deck to a tea. The world was ready for him after Forever particularly with the Triumph verse but by then RZA's golden run was starting to dry up a little beat wise. Bit of a victim of bad luck/bad timing unfortunately.

10 hours ago, J Dog said:

I don't think GZA is overlooked, his album is considered in many circles as the best Wu album.  Deck, yeah, is probably the least respected.  Well, he's massively respected too but you know what I mean, underrated.  GZA was the fuckin' man in the Wu, nobody ever wanted to follow him on Wu tracks, its why he either got entire songs to himself or they stuck him on the end of the track.  I guess when you got an entire group of serious monsters is a group at least ones gotta slip and that one appeared to be Deck.  Crying shame though cuz the man was lethal.  As you say, bad luck and bad timing.

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

I love this guy. He can't even do an interview without getting all excited and passionate :lol:

If you really think about it the man was a prodigy.  We're talking what, fuckin'...5 bona fide studio albums, how many movies was it?  Juice, Gridlock'd, Bullet, Gang Related, Above the Rim...i feel like I'm missing one...plus multiple shit in the can, like 10 albums worth of shit, plus tons of TV work, working with DU, live shows...and it's worth noting the cunt was only famous for 5 years, thats some serious fuckin' work.  Oh yeah, plus appearing on other peoples shits.  Fuckin' madness, the guy was a prodigy.  And it's not like The Beatles or Hendrix where they HAD to have that crazy work rate to where they burned themselves the fuck out, no one was really pushing Pac to do all this shit, it was just his personal work ethic.  Alright he might've felt a certain pressure to put it down with All Eyez On Me but it seems like he was just ALWAYS like that.  Wide eyed, an opinion on everything, always looking people dead in the fuckin' eye, it was like he fuckin' personally drilled himself on every possible question anyone might ever ask him and had a ready made answer.  A lot of his eloquence, his propensity for analogies is right out of the Panther 101 too, a lot of those black militants were like that, Bobby Seale, Malcolm, even Ali...they'd give you these analogies that they had in the back pocket.  And all this before making 26 years old, the guy really lived while he was around.

I'm not one to deify anybody and Tupac had umpteen fuckin' shortcomings but sitting here, in 2017, it's difficult to deny him as the single greatest pop culture/popular music phenomenon of our times.  If the 90s was (and it fuckin' was) the age of hip hop then Pac stands head and shoulders above everybody...not cuz he was necessarily a better lyricst or the biggest gangsta in gangsta rap or any of that but of his ability to convey emotion and feeling and fuckin' energy...like Kurt Cobain in that regard, he weren't gonna win no guitar-off and nobody was gonna mistake his lyrics for fuckin' Proust but for that day and that time and that generation he was the embodiment of a mood, a feeling, an idea...and he represented it, to my mind at least, spot on.  

But nobody fucks with Tupac and, I'm about to go out on a fuckin' limb with this comment but sitting here in 2017, looking back, i think hip hop culture has peaked and is on a very gradual down turn...and looking back over it it's difficult to put anyone ahead of that crazy bald headed lunatic in that vid up there...very difficult indeed.  He was the fuckin' man quite frankly and it all boils down to this, however good your favourite rapper is at whatever, be it Eminem or Kendrick (who barely registers for me) or Ra' or Kane or...just fuckin' anybody, there is nobody that showed as many different facets to the hip hop experience than Pac did.  Nobody.  And it was, as much as people call Tupac this fuckin' machiavellian guy with crazy fuckin' foresight, which he did have in the sense of he was a thinking man, there was also something very protean about his work, it wasn't laboured, he didn't fuckin' strain over every line, the shit spilled out of him...and that fuckin' tells me something and that something is that he was the real deal, he didn't have to fuckin'...design what he was saying, he wrote in the studio, on the spot, in the moment and spoke and spat rhymes according to the whirlwind he was in the centre of, so where it might be sloppy in places, where it might not have that clean fuckin' seamlessness of a Ra' or a Em', it is 100 million fuckin' percent from the heart, from the gut and 100 million percent sincere...and it is that sincerity that, not only in Pac but in music and artists everywhere, that endures.  50 years from now people will be talking about Tupac Shakur like they talk about The Beatles...not because he is their equivalent but because he, like them, is the leading light of a particular time, a particular era and a particular genre of music which, i think we can all agree now in terms of hip hop, has staked it's claim firmly in the fuckin' history books.

It's just a shame the mad cunt had to bail out on us.  

P.S.  The first cop that was on the scene of his final shooting asked him who did this to you, y'know what he responded?  Fuck you :lol:  That was his last words, fuck you :lol:  To a cop :lol:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

If you really think about it the man was a prodigy.  We're talking what, fuckin'...5 bona fide studio albums, how many movies was it?  Juice, Gridlock'd, Bullet, Gang Related, Above the Rim...i feel like I'm missing one..

Poetic Justice.

This is literally the only thing I can add to your post. I agree with everything 100%. Excellent post dog.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J Dog said:

Poetic Justice.

This is literally the only thing I can add to your post. I agree with everything 100%. Excellent post dog.

Poetic Justice, there you go!  How the fuck could I forget that?  See, senile decay is setting in.

7 hours ago, J Dog said:

Some random Wu-Death Row collabos over the years.

Dirt's part was recorded over a prison phone bless his heart.

Ya momma named Peter, Poppa named Sita, fuck that n!gga when it come to the heater'

Uh...i beg your pardon? :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut