Co-pilot DELIBERATELY Crashes Plane into Mountain!

Dazey

Invent a pilot free plane, there's your answer. So uh, give us a couple of centuries more of evolution eh?

My bet is we're five years from this. I remember getting drunk with an American Airlines pilot in a Paris bar way back in 2006. He told me he did very little flying even back then. He was responsible for taking off, but for the most part, the planes flew themselves (even landed). I've got to figure that the technology is almost to the point, if not there already, where computers could fly the plane. If problems occur have a pilot in a command post to fly the thing remotely. We're only a few years from self-driving cars going mainstream, don't see the need for pilots to be flown by humans.

Y'know what, i had a similar experience a long time ago. I can't sleep on flights so i just sit and read and I'm sitting and reading and this dude comes up to me and he's like what are you doin', w'sup, what you reading etc and we get to talking and I'm talking to this boy and he's like I'm one of the pilots and I'm like uh, should you not be up the front? And he's like no the other guys there etc etc and would you like to see the cockpit? So I'm like fuck it, nothing better to do. It's the strangest shit man, it's just all like this kinda curved fuckin' screen thing and you can't see fuckin' shit out there. So I'm like yeah, what the fuck man, ain't you supposed to be flying this thing and he's like no, actually the bulk of our work happens 40 minutes before take off and 40 minutes before landing.

Sounds fuckin' weird to me cuz you have flight paths and shit right? I guess the shit is all timed and like...y'know, it ain't like road traffic, shit ain't incidental, the boys in the control room probably know like X plane is gonna go X route at X time exactly.

Wanted to have a go though man. 'Welcome to Len Airlines, this is your pilot, MEEEEEEEE! Once we reach our cruising altitude I'm rackin' up a spliff, we'll stick some Wu Tang on and lets see if we can't get busy up in this motherfucker, can i get SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?' :lol:

I'm confused, it seems you left off part of the story. Did you blow him or did he blow you?

• Like 1

It's tragic when you know someone or know someone who knows someone caught up in one of these things.

I met the friend of that UN guy who's Air Malaysia flight from Holland got blasted out of the sky by the Russians, I can't even imagine the terror that happened there, but like that, this incident has too cost many innocent lives.

My schoolfriend and her husband were on that flight too. We were told passengers wouldn't have known a thing but someone on this forum in Ukraine said they were told people were alive when the plane was shot down and later on the news I heard some passengers had oxygen masks on.

So what's the real story there?

The passengers had no oxygyn masks on, that was false. They were hardly people found, just body parts. The plane exploded in the air, not much was left of it. It was said, it did 'rain' body parts just after the explotion. It's most likely they didn't notice a thing.

My community was hit hard, several family's lost there life in that plane crash. It was really sad.

• Like 1

This is awful really.

Also makes me wonder how there aren't better safety arrangement.. As someone said previously, possibility to control it from the ground (I bet terrorists won't get in on the flight towers now when presidents are flying so it isn't impossible?).

Also, I wonder if it would be possible stopping planes from falling with some kind of technology.. They've been the same in that since.. always? Look at cars 30 years ago, they didn't have 20 airbags, ABS, ESC, all kinds of radars. I wonder if it's simply impossible to build something to stop planes from falling or more a matter of €€€€€€€££££££$$$$$$$$?

This is awful really.

Also makes me wonder how there aren't better safety arrangement.. As someone said previously, possibility to control it from the ground (I bet terrorists won't get in on the flight towers now when presidents are flying so it isn't impossible?).

Also, I wonder if it would be possible stopping planes from falling with some kind of technology.. They've been the same in that since.. always? Look at cars 30 years ago, they didn't have 20 airbags, ABS, ESC, all kinds of radars. I wonder if it's simply impossible to build something to stop planes from falling or more a matter of €€€€€€€££££££$$$$$$$$?

A matter of €€€€€€€$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££ as I was guessing.. Apparently the technology has been there for some time for whole plane parachutes carrying a falling plane and a designs such as separating passenger cabin from other parts first.. It's "too costly" (well say that to a plane crash victim's family :blink:) now but I'm sure if safety had been a bigger concern the technology would have advanced beyond that.. :shrugs:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131223-should-planes-have-parachutes

“A lot of people keep asking: ‘Why can’t I have a parachute system on a Boeing 737 when I fly to see grandma?’ Well, if enough people ask for that, it’ll force the aircraft manufacturers and the governments to make these revolutionary changes.”
Edited by Is0tope

I haven't read that many articles, or this entire thread yet, but has anyone proposed the "t" word yet? I was surprised not to see it.

i'll be the dummy then, what's the "t" word. Forgive me but I just woke up.

so Len what's your view on how to prevent this without giving the bad guys more access?

This is probably a stupid question but is there a key to the cockpit? If not shouldn't there be one in the galley maybe locked in a small safe with the key to that being available to the flight attendants?

Honestly, women, you will insist on complicating things :lol:

You know I might just be onto something here, forget I mentioned it - this is MY invention. :lol:

Don't worry about the 't' word - I'm having a coffee and it came to me. So obvious R4E, don't post half asleep. :facepalm:

It's tragic when you know someone or know someone who knows someone caught up in one of these things.

I met the friend of that UN guy who's Air Malaysia flight from Holland got blasted out of the sky by the Russians, I can't even imagine the terror that happened there, but like that, this incident has too cost many innocent lives.

My schoolfriend and her husband were on that flight too. We were told passengers wouldn't have known a thing but someone on this forum in Ukraine said they were told people were alive when the plane was shot down and later on the news I heard some passengers had oxygen masks on.

So what's the real story there?

The passengers had no oxygyn masks on, that was false. They were hardly people found, just body parts. The plane exploded in the air, not much was left of it. It was said, it did 'rain' body parts just after the explotion. It's most likely they didn't notice a thing.

My community was hit hard, several family's lost there life in that plane crash. It was really sad.

So sorry for you and your community MB, thanks for clearing that up. I never saw any updates so this is good to know if anything good can be seen in this shocking event.

That has not been proven.

Please tell me you're not into hoaxes, we may have argued on youtube.

The "T" word is terrorism.

Not enough info yet but it is a possibility. You never know who has been radicalized. They pointed out that during his training to be a pilot he took 6 months off for "burnout" no idea what he did for that time off.

In my personal opinion and without hearing about it yet I feel he did not have this all planned out or if he did it was that day. Something triggered him to want to die and kill everyone on board. As horrible as that is it has happened before.

I think something triggered a hidden depression in him (hidden from his company) and when the pilot left the cockpit he acted, once he did there was no turning back, his life was already over by simply reprogramming autopilot. He followed through/

here is an article talking about the T word:

Finally, the "t" word. Before the news today, the Obama administration quickly rejected a notion that this was terrorism. And that may still be accurate. But as someone who has been a part of counterterrorism efforts, I am impressed with the French prosecutor's honesty in a search for the right words.

This is obviously terrorism in the general sense to elicit fear in a general population, but whether it was done for some political or ideological reason (in the absence of any group taking credit, it does not fit the model of most major airline terror attacks) we still do not know. And it isn't as if there is a national response that we can expect from Germany, such as going to war. Still, it clearly isn't just suicide.

This is different. If there is some nefarious ideological motivation, this may be one of a few incidents where a "loner" is able to create massive, simultaneous deaths. Most lone wolf terror is almost always of low consequence. It may be that we are in an era when we don't have the right words to describe the threats we face from loners with the capacity for mass casualties.

As Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr said, "If a person kills himself and also 149 other people, another word should be used -- not suicide."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/opinions/kayyem-germanwings-co-pilot/index.html

Edited by gunsguy

Police have apparently found something in his home (on his computer?) that could be an explanation.

I agree with GG. It seems plausible that he had hidden depression from his employer. Maybe he was on some kind of antidepressants. I heard they never test pilots on the use of drugs, medication, alcohol or whatever in Europe. Pilots can get psychological help, but only if they ask for it themselves. Which they probably hardly do, of course. There are no regular psychological screenings.

Time will tell. (Maybe.)

I saw an interview with an ex-pilot who is now an instructor at flight school and he made some excellent points. He said that every pilot in an emergency situation only think about themselves first, their need to survive and they don't really think about the lives of the passengers. That was a crude statement but it makes sense. So in the situation where a pilot would want to commit suicide, the same could be true; he's only thinking about himself in that moment. If he's stuck in tunnel vision where his mind is set on suicide, of course motives of a deepseeded hatred against society, the airline, ... or as it now points to relationship problems factor in as well. He also pointed out that security door was an accident waiting to happen, and the scenario of giving someone sole access to a plane locked off from the rest of the crew and passengers is beyond dangerous. He said to have a stewardess or steward present wont prevent anything as it takes one button to lock up that cabin and that door poses the biggest threat. He also said that the pilot culture is one of mostly macho behavior and when someone has a burnout or psychological problems, it can't be discussed in the cockpit; the mentality is "focus on flying, leave your problems at home". All factors that will have to be re-examined.

I seriously doubt this was an act of terrorism, by that I mean with a political agenda as undoubtedly a statement or motivation would have surfaced by now. This looks like a pure suicide and a tragic one at that. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists are hard at work to link this to their world views, but the facts so far show NO evidence of indoctrination or radicalization. There are other acts of violence and bloodshed then terror, even if your news station tells you different around the clock.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Yeah, I agree. I believe he was depressed, had no plans of doing it, but when he found himself alone in the cockpit and the mountains ahead, he lost his mind, forgot about all else, and just went for it. I don't think it wa spre-planned, just an opportunity at the completely wrong time, and absolutely no political motivation.

• Like 1

it seems that he could suffer from clinical depression with his ups and downs for years. and it's quite common that people with that medical condition have obsessive suicidal thoughts. i just don't understand how none of his colleagues or even his psychologist didn't figure out that he's a serious danger to himself and possibly others? this tragedy could be prevented if people were a little bit less indifferent to one another

also i don't understand why they still don't have video cameras in the cockpits

Edited by netcat

This story is really sad ... damn, this world it's such a dangerous place ... :(

It's a lot less dangerous than they'd have you believe.

Yeah, absolutely. The world has never been a safer place (for most of us).

I agree but, is still dangerous ...

With a death rate of 100 %, I guess it is.

But if you are young, and normally healthy, and live in a developed country, then the chances of dying suddenly is so slim I would be very reluctant calling life "dangerous". To me, that word implies a greater risk of danger than the low probability of fatality that we encounter every day.

This story is really sad ... damn, this world it's such a dangerous place ... :(

It's a lot less dangerous than they'd have you believe.

Yeah, absolutely. The world has never been a safer place (for most of us).

I agree but, is still dangerous ...

With a death rate of 100 %, I guess it is.

But if you are young, and normally healthy, and live in a developed country, then the chances of dying suddenly is so slim I would be very reluctant calling life "dangerous". To me, that word implies a greater risk of danger than the low probability of fatality that we encounter every day.

But I wasn't talking about "my own little world where a I live" ... I probably live in one of the most safest and peaceful countries in the world ... I feel safe most of the time.

But seeing something like this happen should make us realise that danger is just around the corner ... the world is not as safe as we see it in our daily life ...

Edited by GUNNER PT

I saw an interview with an ex-pilot who is now an instructor at flight school and he made some excellent points. He said that every pilot in an emergency situation only think about themselves first, their need to survive and they don't really think about the lives of the passengers. That was a crude statement but it makes sense. So in the situation where a pilot would want to commit suicide, the same could be true; he's only thinking about himself in that moment. If he's stuck in tunnel vision where his mind is set on suicide, of course motives of a deepseeded hatred against society, the airline, ... or as it now points to relationship problems factor in as well. He also pointed out that security door was an accident waiting to happen, and the scenario of giving someone sole access to a plane locked off from the rest of the crew and passengers is beyond dangerous. He said to have a stewardess or steward present wont prevent anything as it takes one button to lock up that cabin and that door poses the biggest threat. He also said that the pilot culture is one of mostly macho behavior and when someone has a burnout or psychological problems, it can't be discussed in the cockpit; the mentality is "focus on flying, leave your problems at home". All factors that will have to be re-examined.

I seriously doubt this was an act of terrorism, by that I mean with a political agenda as undoubtedly a statement or motivation would have surfaced by now. This looks like a pure suicide and a tragic one at that. I'm sure the conspiracy theorists are hard at work to link this to their world views, but the facts so far show NO evidence of indoctrination or radicalization. There are other acts of violence and bloodshed then terror, even if your news station tells you different around the clock.

This was a case of I am going to "kill myself and take everyone with me", he was not only thinking about himself. He had every opportunity to do himself in without harming others.

Planes will probably still need a pilot incase something goes wrong wwithan automatic system.

I doubt self driving cars will ever be mainstream... too much to go wrong.

If a self driving car has no choice but to hit something, will it choose the kid, the on coming car, or a fence? Unfortunately the kid gets hit as its the smallest object when you could hit a fence and be fine. AIs cant come to decisions like people do.