Baltimore

magisme

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/

Not necessarily saying that I agree, but I think this is more complicated than the "look at the pictures of black savages" thread that this appears to be headed for, and a contrary voice seemed called for.

Edited by axlslash
  • Like 1

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/

Not necessarily saying that I agree, but I think this is more complicated than the "look at the pictures of black savages" thread that this appears to be headed for, and a contrary voice seemed called for.

Not my intention with the thread at all. I'm almost entirely on the side of the rioters.

• Like 1

Not my intention with the thread at all. I'm almost entirely on the side of the rioters.

And I certainly didn't mean to say that it was you or anything. I've just seen enough debates around this place go some weird fuckin' directions that I figured it was worth getting a marker down early :P

This is a Facebook status from a good friend of mine who works as a PA in a Baltimore hospital. I'm posting it in both threads because it's very explanatory regarding the facts of the situation:

To friends and family outside of Baltimore:

I am safe. I live on an isolated peninsula in southeast Baltimore. The riots are in northwest Baltimore. I work in southwest Baltimore where we are seeing some of the effects from the riots but are not on the front line.
Baltimore City is an interesting diaspora. It's a generally blue lower to "working class" city, predominately black and white with substantial geographic and socioeconomic segregation. Working in a hospital in a border location where these demographics meet, is seems the general consensus amongst the populace is that the riots are not about race but rather the results of young urban gangs instigating with police (or perhaps vice versa, I wasn't there). The locations of the protests and the locations of violence are actually quite separate, and there does not appear to be much overlap between the two groups of people.
I find social media slacktivisim and public outcries of support vs condemnation to be tacky and redundant. This in mind, I'm well known to be a partisan Democrat who is strongly opposed to hero worship of any particular occupation (be it police, military, medical provider, first responder, etc.) so I'm sure my liberally biased opinion about Freddy Gray's death can be presumed. This aside, it seems the overwhelming majority of the Baltimore community, including myself, support prompt resolution of these riots with safety for all involved including police and innocent bystanders. Additionally most everyone advocates justice served to those currently committing criminal acts, which in my opinion must be done legally, with dignity, and with the minimum necessary force. I will express how severely disappointed I am in certain individuals within the young white demographic of Baltimore who are calling for police brutality and execution as means of restoring peace, as well as projecting racial bias and stereotypes (and occasionally slurs) towards the Baltimore City mayor.
I am, however, upset that these events are hindering my ability to watch Orioles baseball.
Long story short; everyone please be safe, be civil, and shut the fuck up.
  • Like 1

Let's protest police violence with our violence, because police won't use it as an excuse for more violence or anything.

I fucking hate cops, but destroying your city because you're pissed at the cops seems counterproductive. Why does no one ever bring up that when these go to jury trials, the jury finds the cops not guilty. Why aren't we pissed at the juries?

• Like 2

Still, it's her opinion and how it "appears" to her. Not facts. To say it's not about race, even her other statements are true, is patently ridiculous.

It's a guy. :lol: Assumed female because PA and not doctor? :P

No idea how I did that. Didn't even remember you said his job. :lol:

• Like 1

Let's protest police violence with our violence, because police won't use it as an excuse for more violence or anything.

I fucking hate cops, but destroying your city because you're pissed at the cops seems counterproductive. Why does no one ever bring up that when these go to jury trials, the jury finds the cops not guilty. Why aren't we pissed at the juries?

this.

this gives police all the leverage in the world to continue to beat the shit out of people and the majority of people wont sympathize when the media is showing videos of people looting flat screens and alcohol and burning down some innocent persons house or place of business. it gives large segments of the media, be it on tv, the radio, the internet or newspapers who are in love with cops more and more power and it hurts the cause of the protests to begin with.

the problem with all this is it misses the overall point and the media turns squarely into another race issue, when the real case is how badly the police treat people, and how dangerous they are. the case in new mexico was on camera when cops murdered a homeless man who was camping out and was walking away, only to yell "booyeah" after they shot him, then sicked a dog on him and shoot bean bags at him AFTER he was dead. that case involved a homeless mentally ill white guy, the new channels rarely if ever covered it, it wasnt talked about on the radio, no major protest happened or riots. there was outrage on the internet and after sometime the police in that case were arrested.

this case is a good case in regards to police brutality and is a case where i think the vast majority of people are squarely in favor of the protesters but the more and more people burn down their city and steal things the more and more the original point is lost and is replaced by racists and bigots painting it as all black people are crazy, while ignoring the thousands of peaceful protesters and ignoring the words of grays step father to end the violence.

Good post.

Riot, protest, yeah whatever. But destroying your city, lighting cars and buildings on fire, looting, etc. What does that solve?

A new report by ThinkProgress.com unearthed disturbing figures when it came to the number of police-related deaths that occurred in America in the month of March alone.

Just last month, in the 31 days of March, police in the United States killed more people than the UK did in the entire 20th century. In fact, it was twice as many; police in the UK only killed 52 people during that 100 year period.

According to the report by ThinkProgess, in March alone, 111 people died during police encounters — 36 more than the previous month.

This high number in March increased the average for police killings from every 8.5 hours, to nearly 1 police killing every 6.5 hours in the US.

China, whose population is 4 and 1/2 times the size of the United States, recorded 12 killings by law enforcement officers in 2014.

On average, US police kill people at a rate 70 times higher than any of the other first world countries as they “protect and serve” the American citizens

Good post.

Riot, protest, yeah whatever. But destroying your city, lighting cars and buildings on fire, looting, etc. What does that solve?

I am going to voice my indifference.

Meh.

High praises for the mother who kicked her son's ass because he was looting and acting like a savage!

Unfortunately, there are always a handful of savages who have to act out with hate and violence and ultimately hurt innocent people.

It's been happening forever just like President Obama stated today.

My high school years were just like this every damn day. Maybe a 100 or so trouble makers out of a school of 5,000 would hurt students, teachers and tear up the cafeteria everyday.

I'm pretty sure most of those savages are either in jail or dead.

Here we are 2015 and again the same violence happens again even when the family that lost a son ask to stop it. It's like some people have not evolved at all. It's scary and very very sad.