yes this is a reunion thread.

i have to remind myself of all this when i start feeling like the world is really missing out on a reunion. would it be killer to see these guys perform together again and share that chemistry on stage? hell yeah. as a fan, it'd be mesmerizing. do i think they'd recapture their former creativity? simply put, no; and i feel like axl's need for control and over the GN'R name would make it tough for Slash to ever sign on board for a full tour, which means the best I could ever hope for is a cool one-off gig -- and that might be better and more memorable than a full tour anyway. just one night where they perform some hits again, share a stage, hug, and then go their separate ways and never do it again.

Exactly this.

One show and that's it. It should be during some big sport event: i.e. the next FIFA World Cup, in Russia, 2018. :headbang:

... only for the right reasons. :lol:

If you take in consideration that they would do it for the "right" reasons, the "right" reasons are not the ones in my post. Therefore "never" suits my statement.

I agree that the requirements you said may be correct. I even agree that, unfortunately, those same requirements can difficult a reunion ... but, if you see this question rationally and considering the legal context of the band, It couldn't be in another way.

It could be in another way, in any way imaginable, really. It is just that the one who can modify or change those requirements, does not want to do it. So, this is not hard to grasp, if he doesn't want to do in any other possible way, then the others wouldn't do it, then a reunion would never happen.

Axl owns the band and, like it or not, he's not the only responsible for owning it ...

Explain to me what do you mean by "he's not the only responsible for owning it", because I'm not too sure if this is a semantics issue.

If someone one day ask me if it is possible for me to someday join the Microsoft, I can answer "never say never" ... but, when I say, "never say never" I have to be conscious that if someday that happens I'll have to submit myself to Microsoft's conditions ... I can't expect joining Microsoft "only if Bill Gates" give me a partnership of the company ... it makes no sense. :question:

This example is dumb, but I'll play along. To make it a similar situation, the circumstances where you would re-join "Microsoft" are different than expressed in your post. First of all, you have to consider that you helped build Microsoft in the past, and helped the - now - sole owner of Microsoft to get where he currently is. Also, let's never forget that you quit, and when you quit there was a partnership agreement that the owner of the company dissolved when you said "no more". You were never an employee, you won't return as one.

Now, by re-joining Microsoft you would be helping them, including the owner, to get 1000 times more popular, and with that, 1000 times more money. When you have acknowledged how important you are in that imaginary setting, when you say "never say never" to the possibility of ever working with Microsoft's owner again, you don't have to be aware that you would rejoin them by any particular condition, because that or those conditions have not been discussed yet. And neither you nor the owner of the company are looking forward to working together again. If the conditions are not fair to you, then you don't rejoin them. It is really that simple.

When people wonder "why have they not reunited already?", well it's not only because Axl does not want to work with Slash, but because Slash would never work for Axl under Axl's conditions. Sames applies to Duff or Izzy. It is why I say that a reunion will never happen. Axl owns the name, but all of them have to agree. :)

When GUNNER mentions the right conditions and puts a smile next to it he means Slash would do it for money. He's just too passive-aggressive to write it down.

he's an artist never sold out, not even a little.

Yip,

tumblr_mcxt6woAsm1qjtr1eo1_500.jpg

Selling out is exactly what Axl has done. Musicians make their money touring and not selling albums? OK, fuck moving forward, let's tour the world 47 times and milk the 20-year-old hits. And fuck it. Why even give a shit about a quality performance? Axl, get as fat as you want. No one can hear you at the shows anyway. Just smile a few times. Do right over left step during Jungle. Let's get a guy who kinda looks like Slash too. I mean, really, who gives a fuck at this point? Oh, you're gonna love this one too, Axl... fucking Vegas residencies. That's right. Plural, motherfucker. And if they want a release so bad, fuck 'em even further up their asses. We'll release a fuckin' Vegas show on them. If 25 people want to buy some "new" release from "GNR", there. Suck on a fuckin' flying piano.

Axl never sold out. Not even a little. :lol:

can anybody find anyone who doesnT want to work with or see axl rose perform? slash is in. Fucking bass player kris ? Is in. Everyone is in. elton is in. Festival... axl. can we all win? Ok im drunk. We could all win you know. Bumble finck ...festival...cd2

So when they do a reunion you're going to say they sold out?

To me selling out is doing something you don't really want to for the money. Like jump on a bandwagon when you don't really have an interest in it.

Like if Slayer started doing Killers type songs to sell more records.

Axl on a flying piano is in a long line of rock flamboyance and entertainment. Like U2 coming down in giant Lemon. Maybe regrettable but all in good fun. Tommy Lee rotating drum solo.

Playing Vegas is just a good time. Metallica played Vegas recently I think. There's a certain business sense to doing it but its far from selling out. Playing songs for GNR will never be that especially with Axl putting on such a great show.

It's not straight Road warrior, were going to play in the desert naked and post it up on YouTube fuck the industry inspired. It's just business as usual. Nobody's doing this for they health.

It's not selling out if you vant to do it.

Yip,

I can just see it now,

''Only when I advertise Budweiser and find myself levitating above a Vegas crowd tunelessly singing my greatest hits, is my artistic vision complete''.

- Axl, at some point in time.

At this point in the GNR mess, this would really be the only thing that could save the name. At the end of the day, most fans of the music that made this name popular would prefer to see the real band together one last time. Really, another tour at the end of this year with this new band singing the same old show??????? No point!!! Might as well be the guys who are responsible for that music playing it. The new direction axl kept lying to us about, is a failure. Why?, because their is nothing new about 90% of the show being old songs. Where is all this music?

at this point you have to keep in mind a reunion wouldn't change the world. it'd be a big news event for a couple days, it'd get a lot of attention, and the first show they played would definitely get buzz; after that, it would be just like any other long-gestating reunion, whether it be van halen or pink floyd...beyond the die-hard fans, the world would keep spinning, and people would just get used to it and take it for granted.

realistically, the band would put out a new studio album -- but it'd pale in comparison to their greatest hits, it probably wouldn't be as strong as something like the new Faith No More album and would be closer in spirit to something like that van halen reunion record... good, but not particularly outstanding. even that record was unusually good for a reunion. maybe that ozzy/black sabbath album everybody forgot about the week after it came out is a better comparison (except for our Black Sabbath, I know he's fond of it).

i have to remind myself of all this when i start feeling like the world is really missing out on a reunion. would it be killer to see these guys perform together again and share that chemistry on stage? hell yeah. as a fan, it'd be mesmerizing. do i think they'd recapture their former creativity? simply put, no; and i feel like axl's need for control and over the GN'R name would make it tough for Slash to ever sign on board for a full tour, which means the best I could ever hope for is a cool one-off gig -- and that might be better and more memorable than a full tour anyway. just one night where they perform some hits again, share a stage, hug, and then go their separate ways and never do it again.

Fuck a one-off, though

I want to be there :lol:

Yip,

I can just see it now,

''Only when I advertise Budweiser and find myself levitating above a Vegas crowd tunelessly singing my greatest hits, is my artistic vision complete''.

Axl is a populist entertainer, its only rock n roll.

Drinking beer and having a flamboyant stage show is basically his job description.

Okay if it's Rage against the machine then maybe doing a McDonalds ad is pushing the boundaries of irony but its just GNR, a bunch of rock n roll songs and some 70s attitude rolled up in an 80s high concept dollar bill.

Yip,

I can just see it now,

Drinking beer and having a flamboyant stage show is basically his job description.

Okay if it's Rage against the machine then maybe doing a McDonalds ad is pushing the boundaries of irony but its just GNR, a bunch of rock n roll songs and some 70s attitude rolled up in an 80s high concept dollar bill.

This sounds like something Slash would have said in a bygone era. I consider that a very inaccurate description of Axl up until 2010. He seemed the artsy fartsy one who wanted to create masterpieces.

Yip,

I can just see it now,

This sounds like something Slash would have said in a bygone era. I consider that a very inaccurate description of Axl up until 2010. He seemed the artsy fartsy one who wanted to create masterpieces.

Slash sold out, Axl sold out, Duff sold out, Steven would've sold his ass if people wanted to buy it. Izzy? I think he's the only one that didn't really. I don't see what's wrong with advertising for Budweiser, it wasn't THAT bad. What sucks is becoming a walking billboard like DJ Ashba, playing with a disco top hat, and becoming a Vegas act like Celine Dion or Britney Spears. That's too much.

Yip,

I can just see it now,

Nah, he just wanted to evolve a bit, but Slash wanted to go back to roots. They had huge advance to spend and take sometime to try to compete with 90s landscape and Slash wanted to put out Draw the Line. Just two different approaches.

I see it more like Axl struggling to make a record without Slash. There were songs that were good but it took until 2004 to really get something releasable that the label and Axl were happy with. It's just not something many people really wanted to happen. The reunion dogged the whole project.

It's like Man utd after Ferguson. Moyes just didn't get it right with the new system. Then Van Gaal is kind of getting back on track by 2004 but it's not quite ready for release. They need a billionaire like Azzof to win the prem. so maybe by 2018 they will be back to full strength.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Axl sold out back in the day when he thought GnR should use hip hop beats to sound cool with the kids. Too bad Axl is just a rock singer and is not talented enough to pull off a diverse sounding record. Not surprised he's back to his rock roots. He failed at trying to sound modern. Still a big sell out.

Axl sold out back in the day when he thought GnR should use hip hop beats to sound cool with the kids. Too bad Axl is just a rock singer and is not talented enough to pull off a diverse sounding record. Not surprised he's back to his rock roots. He failed at trying to sound modern. Still a big sell out.

How's experimenting and trying new stuff selling out? How's failing at it selling out?

Can you imagine the contracts Axl would force them all to sign? It would be contentious from day one.

I was thinking about that.

What if the reunion agreement was built on the foundation that the old "GNR Ltd." name that Axl, Slash & Duff own was the one that was brought back to life and used as the vehicle for the reunion?

In that legal entity all men are on a level playing field which would immediately stop Axl laying down any laws about anything. He'd have to compromise, as would Slash who also is very used to running his own show too.

Also, Team Parasite are legally engaged with the "new GNR" Axl set up after the original band split so contractually they have nothing when it comes to working with the original band vehicle and those therein. So that's them kicked to the kerb around the band, although I don't doubt they'd be zealously hanging out of their boy to ensure he doesn't get any ideas of his own.

That said, dusting down the old band name to do all the legals with, then get a tough, neutral manager in (like Paul McGuinness ex-U2 maybe?) is the only way I could see this work but work it should.

Especially if €30M a man was up for grabs with €50M for Uncle Axl for a big tour and album.

Its the only way I can see it work.

Edited by Intercourse

Basically you sell out singing songs about sex, drugs n rock n roll. Then you do ballads with huge videos. You edgy motherfuckers. Being wrecked up, causin controversy, starting feuds, you wanna sell out, make my day punk.

They lived the fantasy rock star lifestyle and the fans live through that like the Stones and Aerosmith. But I mean it's not selling out if that's what you want to do.

That's why if they don't want to do a reunion, that's fine. For them to just go through the motions for the money would be a tradegy.