yes this is a reunion thread.

Axl sold out back in the day when he thought GnR should use hip hop beats to sound cool with the kids. Too bad Axl is just a rock singer and is not talented enough to pull off a diverse sounding record. Not surprised he's back to his rock roots. He failed at trying to sound modern. Still a big sell out.

How's experimenting and trying new stuff selling out? How's failing at it selling out?

So you think it's OK that Axl decided gnr to sound like limp bizkit?

You sell out if you compromise your musical integrity for cash. Axl has done that twice fold since, around 2011.

By touring and playing a residency? Virtually every band does this. Motely, Def Leppard. Some can't even tour.

You sell out if you compromise your musical integrity for cash. Axl has done that twice fold since, around 2011.

By touring and playing a residency? Virtually every band does this. Motely, Def Leppard. Some can't even tour.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

It's a shame Axl killed his own band, right at the moment he give new contracts to Slash and Duff to be like Axl's employees, i mean wtf. Axl now is a dead guy, he doesn't even get new music out, he just toured the old hits, and all is on stand by mode.

Wish things would have been donde differently..

Axl sold out back in the day when he thought GnR should use hip hop beats to sound cool with the kids. Too bad Axl is just a rock singer and is not talented enough to pull off a diverse sounding record. Not surprised he's back to his rock roots. He failed at trying to sound modern. Still a big sell out.

How's experimenting and trying new stuff selling out? How's failing at it selling out?

So you think it's OK that Axl decided gnr to sound like limp bizkit?

I just don't see how the words selling out apply to Axl

Whatcha mean sellout, how can Axl Rose sell out, sell out what, what high minded ideals or ethics was Axl aligned to for him to sell out? He wanted to be in one of the biggest massivest rock n roll bands and be filthy rich doing it and he did, it's not like we're talking about Jello Biafra here, GnR never had any fuckin' moral stance to stand by or sell out on.

And furthermore, respect to Axl if that was his intention, i have no problem with anybody wanting to be dirty filthy stinking bastard rich if they want to, it's just the ones who claim other ideals and then end up going for the money that are sell outs, what does Axl have to sell out?

• Like 2

I suppose he might talk about art and then play Vegas. But them who isn't a sell out? Kurt Cobain.

To me selling out is doing something you don't rely want to do for the money. But they seemed to want to play Vegas and fly about on pianos and they even made a blu ray of it so no one ever forgets. Look at it! Look at it!

When Axl decided to please the 90s and 2000s masses by turning GNR into a crossover of nu metal/industrial/hip hop styles, he sold out. Even though his wankfest only came out in 2008 and his magnum opus of commercial music rip-offs was completely outdated.

When Axl decided to please the 90s and 2000s masses by turning GNR into a crossover of nu metal/industrial/hip hop styles, he sold out. Even though his wankfest only came out in 2008 and his magnum opus of commercial music rip-offs was completely outdated.

When Axl decided to please the masses? Seriously?

Do you honestly think Axl brought Pitman, Finck, Freese, Buckethead, to please the masses?

• Like 1

No, he just like those bands or influences and that's what he wanted to do inspite of it being 20 years out of date. Same with AFD really. He should have been releasing a Killers type record or something in 2008. That woould be selling out.

He was inspired by NIN and Korn and wanted to make his version of that. It's career suicide to even try that but he did it anyway. It's not even radio friendly.

I suppose he might talk about art and then play Vegas.

Thats the point though, he never espoused artistic ideals to the point of like, some kind of martyr for the idea of art, he was never anti-commerce, they were always bold and brazen about the fact that they wanted to make dumploads of cash, just The Beatles were...and fair play to em.

The guy was doing adverts for Raw magazine, actual tv spots, mass corporate sponsorship, he was never no 'it's just about the art!' type kiddie, no, he was looking to get paid and paid handsomely. He's not really of that other category.

Edited by Len B'stard

Do you honestly think Axl brought Pitman, Finck, Freese, Buckethead, to please the masses?

He brought those guys because they are very talented. Except for Pitman who is a total hack. Too bad he used their talents to create bland Korn rip-off guitar riffs, dated hip hop beats and pointless synth sounds. This could have worked in the 90s. I'm pretty sure Axl would have copied all the 90s bands if he were active back then. Slash wanted to keep doing GNR songs (that includes amazing ballads like Estranged), Axl wanted to sound cool to the kids of the new decade and called it 'evolving the GNR sound'. His fans bought it. lol.

Thats the point though, he never espoused artistic ideals to the point of like, some kind of martyr for the idea of art, he was never anti-commerce, they were always bold and brazen about the fact that they wanted to make dumploads of cash, just The Beatles were...and fair play to em.

The guy was doing adverts for Raw magazine, actual tv spots, mass corporate sponsorship, he was never no 'it's just about the art!' type kiddie, no, he was looking to get paid and paid handsomely. He's not really of that other category.

You have to understand how warped the conversation has become. Sanity has had to cede some ground just to keep it going because it's really been one excuse after another since Axl broke up GNR, almost all of which are pretty divorced from reality. OMG is just a demo, Axl was sick, the label is holding up the album, Buckethead is making us go back to square one, it takes Axl so long because art, the label didn't promote the album, not at my or your expense, Axl was sick again, everything is so difficult with Axl because integrity, you can't judge from youtube, he looks less bloated, he chooses not to use rasp, his clean voice sounds good to me, he's old so what do you expect, he looks good for his age, you don't know him so you shouldn't judge, he doesn't owe you anything, complaints, complaints, complaints....

So somewhere along the line people said, OK, if Axl is such a dick and it's taking so long because art and integrity, let's see it. When we got CD, Ashba and flying pianos, the case should have been closed, but, like I said, warped conversation.

• Like 2

He brought those guys because they are very talented. Except for Pitman who is a total hack. Too bad he used their talents to create bland Korn rip-off guitar riffs, dated hip hop beats and pointless synth sounds. This could have worked in the 90s. I'm pretty sure Axl would have copied all the 90s bands if he were active back then. Slash wanted to keep doing GNR songs (that includes amazing ballads like Estranged), Axl wanted to sound cool to the kids of the new decade and called it 'evolving the GNR sound'. His fans bought it. lol.

so you are implying that they are talented and AXL use them to make Korn rip off riffs, what about that those amazingly talented (lol) musicians are just capable of pulling out Korn rip off riffs and nothing more?

man, you are really trying too hard to cupcake Axl and his fans

I suppose he might talk about art and then play Vegas. But them who isn't a sell out? Kurt Cobain.

To me selling out is doing something you don't rely want to do for the money. But they seemed to want to play Vegas and fly about on pianos and they even made a blu ray of it so no one ever forgets. Look at it! Look at it!

Nobody actually wants to play Vegas. Vegas is where you go when you cannot sell out tours anymore. If Axl says he 'wants to play Vegas' he is just putting positive spin on a dire cash grab. Do you think the Axl of 1991 would have ever envisioned himself playing Vegas?

so you are implying that they are talented and AXL use them to make Korn rip off riffs, what about that those amazingly talented (lol) musicians are just capable of pulling out Korn rip off riffs and nothing more?

man, you are really trying too hard to cupcake Axl and his fans

Listen to their solo work for fucks sake.

Slash wanted to keep doing GNR songs (that includes amazing ballads like Estranged)

Wasn't he against the ballads? Wasn't one of the major fallout points for GNR the fact that Slash wanted to go back to straight gringey rock n roll? If the first Snakepit record was any indication of the direction he wanted to go I'm glad Axl went the route of OMG and Better. Just wish he'd come up with more great songs in that style.

Nobody actually wants to play Vegas. Vegas is where you go when you cannot sell out tours anymore. If Axl says he 'wants to play Vegas' he is just putting positive spin on a dire cash grab. Do you think the Axl of 1991 would have ever envisioned himself playing Vegas?

He definitely doesn't want to play Vegas. Who would? He just follows the money.

You have to understand how warped the conversation has become. Sanity has had to cede some ground just to keep it going because it's really been one excuse after another since Axl broke up GNR, almost all of which are pretty divorced from reality. OMG is just a demo, Axl was sick, the label is holding up the album, Buckethead is making us go back to square one, it takes Axl so long because art, the label didn't promote the album, not at my or your expense, Axl was sick again, everything is so difficult with Axl because integrity, you can't judge from youtube, he looks less bloated, he chooses not to use rasp, his clean voice sounds good to me, he's old so what do you expect, he looks good for his age, you don't know him so you shouldn't judge, he doesn't owe you anything, complaints, complaints, complaints....

So somewhere along the line people said, OK, if Axl is such a dick and it's taking so long because art and integrity, let's see it. When we got CD, Ashba and flying pianos, the case should have been closed, but, like I said, warped conversation.

Indeed.

That's the part Len's missing, IMO.

Slash wanted to keep doing GNR songs (that includes amazing ballads like Estranged)

Wasn't he against the ballads? Wasn't one of the major fallout points for GNR the fact that Slash wanted to go back to straight gringey rock n roll? If the first Snakepit record was any indication of the direction he wanted to go I'm glad Axl went the route of OMG and Better. Just wish he'd come up with more great songs in that style.

I think a more direct rocker album would make Slash happy for a while, after all he had to put up with Axl's ballads and overdubs in UYI. It would be fair IMO.

I'm not saying GNR should have been the new ACDC. They should keep evolving as a band, that doesn't necessarily means trying to emulate NIN or PJ or Manson, etc. tho.

Edited by maynard