Slash/Robin similarities

For the love of God, any decent guitarist can hear the "woman tone" (as Clapton coined it and Slash used so beautifully).

That tone is the iconic tone on mid tempo GNR solos. And Axl clearly had Robin try to ape it.

This is why you don't see a single Fender guitar onstage with axls hired help. Izzy and slash used Gibson tones to make the GNR sound, and axl kept it going. Which is pathetic, because supposedly he was all about the future or some shit.

izzys used a fender telecaster both in the studio and live especially during the illusion tour.

Finck did some superb stuff on Chinese Democracy and I enjoyed watching his completely oblivious, raw and very determined approach, I really dug that and can see what Axl was going for, it's a shame he's utterly seemed to turn away from that approach these days and Ashba was about ten steps back and his misuse of BBF really compounded the problems he has right now.

• Like 1

Slash and Robin are 2 different guitarist and people, what Robin did on Chinese was pretty good, but it was different than what Slash plays, the only similarity would be TIL, I din't like the tone in which Robin played Appetite and Illusions songs cause he really butchered them, I prefer the tone and style used by Fortus

Fortus is an amazing guitarist, If CD 2 ever releases, I hope it has Fortus on it, its a shame that Fortus was just on a part of 1 song in CD even though he was in the band since 2002

Both are soulful players with a unique tone. Both are melodic, and able to come up with ideas that feel like a seamless part of the song.

There are obviously many differences between them as guitar players though. One is Robin just doesn't have Slash's chops and another is Robin is more varied in his style and approach imo.

The more melodic solos on CD do sound like Slash, but if it is because they are genuinely similar or because we are used to hearing melodic slash solos near axl's voice I'm not sure. I do feel the melodic solo in Better, note wise does sound a lot like Slash.

All I know is, for all of his talent, Bumble's solos on CD are god awful and annoying.

The more melodic solos on CD do sound like Slash, but if it is because they are genuinely similar or because we are used to hearing melodic slash solos near axl's voice I'm not sure. I do feel the melodic solo in Better, note wise does sound a lot like Slash.

All I know is, for all of his talent, Bumble's solos on CD are god awful and annoying.

Robin's phrasing is different compared to Slash's more fluid thing. Even on Robin's Better solo and This I love solo the note choices are similar enough to Slash's in that those solos are melodic and bluesy but the tone and phrasing are different.

Robin leaves more space between notes. A good example is the first part of his Street Of Dreams solo. It gets more fluid and Slash-like in the second part of the solo.

But they both have this ability to write solos that are constructed beautifully. The melodic direction is not lost and there is a clear beginning, middle, and end to their solos.

Staccato is a part of Robin's approach and phrasing, while Slash mostly prefers to make it as fluid as possible like the way he plays in Safari Inn for example.

Edited by Rovim

Robin's phrasing is different compared to Slash's more fluid thing. Even on Robin's Better solo and This I love solo the note choices are similar enough to Slash's in that those solos are melodic and bluesy but the tone and phrasing are different.

Robin leaves more space between notes. A good example is the first part of his Street Of Dreams solo. It gets more fluid and Slash-like in the second part of the solo.

But they both have this ability to write solos that are constructed beautifully. The melodic direction is not lost and there is a clear beginning, middle, and end to their solos.

Staccato is a part of Robin's approach and phrasing, while Slash mostly prefers to make it as fluid as possible like the way he plays in Safari Inn for example.

I think that's pretty much it! When Slash usually goes into non-stop blues shredding, Robin tends to take little breaks that make his playing extremely unique. When you take the Better solo note by note, you can feel how Robin's fingers fly around the neck. It's just magic.

I think that's pretty much it! When Slash usually goes into non-stop blues shredding, Robin tends to take little breaks that make his playing extremely unique. When you take the Better solo note by note, you can feel how Robin's fingers fly around the neck. It's just magic.

Also: Bucket's style is more fluid, so for example Robin's lyrical and minimalistic solo in There Was A Time with all that space between notes works really well in contrast to Bucket's outro.

So you kinda get a lot of elements Slash has in his playing when you combine Robin's and Bucket's styles.

Btw, I've noticed that Robin's Street Of Dreams solo is similar in it's approach to Slash's SCOM solo: it grabs you with a few notes, the melody, and then it kicks into the next gear with a flurry of notes in it's second part.

I'm not comparing the quality here, but Robin demonstrated he can bring solos that work very well in Guns tunes.

Street Of Dreams solo, This I Love solo, Better solo, There Was A Time.

And Bucket completes the picture with his There Was A Time outro, Sorry solo, I.R.S, If The World

and even reminds me of the way Slash played on top of Axl's vocals in Don't Cry for example when I listen to what Bucket plays in the outro of Street Of Dreams.

If you can't have Slash in Guns, Robin and Bucket were definitely the right guitar players to move forward with the sound, or at least be a part of the album when it comes to solos. Riffs are different.

Edited by Rovim

Definitely Finck's solo on SOD is great fits in really to flow of song, which I felt Slash did or in in some cases the song build up around his solos too.

The Better solo seems short. It starts out great but doesn't go on and on. I felt it could haves lilted on. Following the melody further.

I like Buckets solo on ITW as it just takes song to next level. Say say say solo is my favorite part of CD probably.

Overall I sort of wish CD solos were longer. Or at least once or twice they really cut loose like on Coma or Paradise City.

TWAT has that tremelo vibration solo. I just the love the drums on Twat so Im usually listening to them. But that first solo is really nice. The solo after Axl screams is Finck I think, which continues while Axl screams and the choir comes in, drum loops, choir. Another great CD passage.

Although Slash is very assured and comforting solo wise, Finck does fit in with the fiddly instrumentation on CD.

Can't really tell who solos are on Catcher, Ron first then Finck? The last one works pretty well.

Sorry solo is really perfect for the song, much more elegiac. But I sort of wish it was longer.

IRS solos are pretty good. It just keeps building. It's such a crime you know it's true solo is also one of my favorite moments on CD.

I guess the Casualties of War montage is the solo on Madagascar for me. There's a solo running along with it that is pretty wandering.

This I Love solo by Finck is genius. Shame he never got to do it live.

Buckets solo on Prostitute is wildly original.

• Like 1

robin and slash have similarities. but the biggest simil I see between them is they are both classic rock guitarists. as for gnr solos. robin's solos on chidem, irs, catcher, sod, til, twat, and better could have been on the illusions. axl picked robin because robin continues the illusions and furthers what slash has done with his style in guns n roses. and robin is the future and the now of classic rock n' roll guitarists.