Technological progress and a guaranteed basic income

downzy

If you want to see the big bucks, I'd go to school to become a lawyer or a doctor.

Tru dat! My brother in law works in an ER in San Antonio and takes home over $30,000 a MONTH! It's fucking insane! :o

If you want to see the big bucks, I'd go to school to become a lawyer or a doctor.

Tru dat! My brother in law works in an ER in San Antonio and takes home over $30,000 a MONTH! It's fucking insane! :o

And I bet he works like 70 hours a week.

Works in ER doing what?
Doctor.

Works in ER doing what?
Doctor.

Then i could see it i suppose. If you took your job to like...yknow, whatever the topper part of the heirachy of your job is then you'd make that sort of money too, no?

Works in ER doing what?
Doctor.
Then i could see it i suppose. If you took your job to like...yknow, whatever the topper part of the heirachy of your job is then you'd make that sort of money too, no?
It's actually fairly doable at not far above the level I'm at now if I'm willing to spend 6 months at a time in the Middle East. :lol:

Works in ER doing what?
Doctor.
It's actually fairly doable at not far above the level I'm at now if I'm willing to spend 6 months at a time in the Middle East. :lol:

Even without that im sure eventually you would, no? Why dont you go do it? I mean it dont have to be forever, a few of them 6 months sessions and you'd have a nice little nest egg.

That's not entirely true.

I like my job now. It's not horrible but enjoyable. Honestly without customers it would be perfect but that's simply not possible.

Turns out people just suck.

I'm tired of you fuckers.

Its not always about making your present as simple and responsibility free as possible young man. Sometimes its about putting your back into something, regardless of whether it makes you feel like the real world manifestation of a tampon commercial, for the purposes of making your future slightly easier :)

In the final reckoning money is the most immediately important thing in the world. I know thats not something you're supposed to say but its a fact.

Edited by Len B'stard

They been recently talk of doctors answering queries via text or Skype to cut down workload.

It's going well beyond that. Remember Watson, IBM's computer that was on Jeopardy? He went to med school. For real. They're training computers to diagnose. That's right around the corner. Anesthesiologists are done too. Robots. Most nursing duties? Robots. We're living a Sci-Fi movie, except there's no script. Shits gonna get nuts.

I disagree.

You only live once Len. If my future consists of wasting away infront of the telly bitching about the weather like my grandma, then I want no future at all.

I will be honest. I won't have a long life. But living a short fulfilling one beats having a long unsatisfying one.

You only live once Len. If my future consists of wasting away infront of the telly bitching about the weather like my grandma, then I want no future at all.

It's very easy to sit there, young and with all your faculties and speak flippantly about not wanting a future but the fact that you are still here, despite having thought about such things quite often, speaks volumes. Perhaps you are missing a trick here, I mean you talk about a fulfilling life, how do you know that she doesn't enjoy living like that? Or the you that you will be by the time you get to that age will be grateful to have enough life to just sit around and watch the telly?

I will be honest. I won't have a long life.

I think the idea of death absolutely horrifies you, if any of your posts over the years are anything to go by. Might be wrong, apologies for presuming to know how you think, just an observation.

But living a short fulfilling one beats having a long unsatisfying one.

You think there is even such a thing as an entirely satisfying or fulfilling life? Where there is choice there is regret, it's a function of life, you're looking for absolutes and perfection in the wrong places.

It's very easy to sit there, young and with all your faculties and speak flippantly about not wanting a future but the fact that you are still here, despite having thought about such things quite often, speaks volumes. Perhaps you are missing a trick here, I mean you talk about a fulfilling life, how do you know that she doesn't enjoy living like that? Or the you that you will be by the time you get to that age will be grateful to have enough life to just sit around and watch the telly?

I will be honest. I won't have a long life.

I think the idea of death absolutely horrifies you, if any of your posts over the years are anything to go by. Might be wrong, apologies for presuming to know how you think, just an observation.

But living a short fulfilling one beats having a long unsatisfying one.

You think there is even such a thing as an entirely satisfying or fulfilling life? Where there is choice there is regret, it's a function of life, you're looking for absolutes and perfection in the wrong places.

I know myself enough to know that I would rather die than sit in front of the television watching Dateline and worrying about terrorism 24/7.

I don't care how old I'll be.

And yes, of course I am afraid of death. That is human instinct. We are all afraid of the unknown. But that doesn't change the fact that I will die. It happens to everyone.

And I'm not looking for perfection. We are all imperfect. There is no reason to chase a perfect life because a perfect life doesn't exist.

But I am content where I am right now. Who knows what's in store for me a year, two years, or a decade down the line but I'm not going to worry about it.

You cod possibly plan for your future in any job. Or at least develop any job. Millionaires are toilet cleaners who then own a toilet business. Shit just got real.

But seems like we need to rewatch Blade runner, AI, ExMachina and learn how to design robots. I'll just take the money thanks. I just need a bed, DVD player and some cheese slices. The nostalgia package.

Sounds horrible.

But he's successful. Can provide for his wife and 3 kids. He enjoys it. But he wants to be more successful. Like be a Fortune 500 company or something. It might be just he's good at that stuff like designing but he wants to run the show. I wonder what's driving him. 10 years of that id be out but he introduced his kids to the high life, fancy schools, holidays. So they mix with rich people and have to keep up. If he drops dead it'll be really stupid.

The way i see it is you only get one go around the board so fuck it, test yourself, test your potential, live get outside of your comfort zone, i hate this idea of like...doing just enough so you can get home and make it to a bed and get your bills paid, fuck it, life is all about work, fuckin' push yourself. As far as depression and being unhappy, well OK, point taken but hows being fuckin' skint gonna help that?

People thinking living some kind of 'alternative lifestyle' (not that anyone has here, just speaking generally) is some kind of blow to the established order, well it's not, in fact it assists the establish order because in behaving that way you are essentially no threat to it. After almost 32 years on this planet I've come to believe that 99.9% of this ideological cobblers that people cling to is a load of fuckin' bollocks. What matters end of the day is money. And thats it. Yeah, love, inner peace etc, there's something to that shit...but that doesn't make money any less an essential. The two have almost nothing to do with each other, it's just a fuckin' bottlers way of getting out of doing some graft.

Money is freedom basically, the freedom to do what the fuck you want...and thats what all this hippie bollocks is often centred around right, freedom? 'oh but we mean spiritual!', yeah well try getting the one thats actually tangible first eh, you can worry about something that may or may not be an imaginary construct later.

It's worth noting that a great deal of people pick up on this stuff through music and films etc and y'know what? They're all fuckin' loaded, there's a reason why those cunts were the first targets of all this transcendental enlightment bollocks.

• Like 2