Jim Jefferies wins the gun control debate.

Georgy Zhukov

Why does anyone need to own an M-16 or an AK-47?

What has need got to do with it? How many of your possessions are to do strictly with need?
Because my need for a 65" TV doesn't put other people's lives possibly in danger :lol:
I dont believe you, i dont trust you, i dont trust your ability to refrain from bashing someones head in with it, its dangerous, you shouldn't have one.

What has need got to do with it? How many of your possessions are to do strictly with need?
Because my need for a 65" TV doesn't put other people's lives possibly in danger :lol:
I dont believe you, i dont trust you, i dont trust your ability to refrain from bashing someones head in with it, its dangerous, you shouldn't have one.

But the TV was made to just sit in the corner and be watched. A gun was specifically designed to fire a piece of metal out the end to kill something.

It's the whole reason I work out - to be able to lift the TV with ease when the right day finally comes.

Either way, poor argument. Just because I could kill someone with my TV or a bottle of water doesn't put it on the same level as an M-16 :lol:

But the TV was made to just sit in the corner and be watched. A gun was specifically designed to fire a piece of metal out the end to kill something.

Right but on their own neither can do shit, the human being is the active agent in the equation that knocks people off, the gun or the telly cant do nothing by themselves. And in the same way a gun is designed to shoot lead to kill people but can be used for other purposes, that same idea applies to most objects on this planet...but without the human intent everything is benign in terms of objects.

It's the whole reason I work out - to be able to lift the TV with ease when the right day finally comes.

Either way, poor argument. Just because I could kill someone with my TV or a bottle of water doesn't put it on the same level as an M-16 :lol:

Right but you were talking about the possibility of what can be done with a given object and I've explained to you how similar ends can be reached by an object that you claim is relatively benign, its not at all a poor argument, if it was you'd be able to counter it effectively instead of just making obvious statements like 'it doesnt put it on the same level', how does that even fit into the context of the proposition you were addressing?

It comes down to this, it comes down to this dictatorial thing where the fears of a certain group of people have this presumptuous idea where each member of the human race meets a psychopath halfway, given the right situation theres a chance that ALL people, including the sane and rational, are potentially a danger to themselves and those around them and by virtue of that they should be treated like children by the state. Well fuck that shit I say.

I'm as afraid of the guy next door having a gun as I am of him having a butcher knife or a caterpault or a brick to bash my head in and anyway, i dont think my lack of stones should have a bearing on what a perfectly sane and rational human being is or isnt allowed to have in his possession. I dont think I could bear life if i was that afraid in general.

• Like 1

Agree with Len, if you're insane enough to murder someone with a gun, are you not insane enough to bash their head in with something else?

The psychopath who shoots up a mall is the same psychopath who builds a pipe bomb if he doesn't have access to a gun. Killers are already killers, guns don't make them that way.

my gun has been in my lockbox for the last couple of months it has yet to jump out shoot someone.

Bombs take more effort. I think guns are the most efficient way of killing somebody. If someone is purchasing materials to make a bomb, wouldn't that make their intentions obvious?

He efficency argument makes me laugh, so not only are humans these raving loose cannons on the verge of cracking at any minute but they're also lazy bastards whoose rage to murder will wear out after a couple of minutes if there isnt an efficient murdering tool within arms reach :lol:

Guns don't kill people, people with guns CAN kill people.

that can be said about anything though GZ. mcveigh blew up and killed almost 200 people with fertilizer.

Point? The weapon of choice for mass murderers seem to be guns. If you want to talk about preventing people from building bombs, that is for another topic. There hasn't been such a bombing since, no? But plenty of shootings.

My issue isn't necessarily worrying about people using the ridiculous guns they own to shoot up a mall, but those people with those guns who also have kids and don't take caution and the kids get into the guns and hurt or kill themselves or someone else.

Someone isn't going to accidentally kill someone else with my TV.

My issue isn't necessarily worrying about people using the ridiculous guns they own to shoot up a mall, but those people with those guns who also have kids and don't take caution and the kids get into the guns and hurt or kill themselves or someone else.

So then promote gun safety surely? Otherwise you could say the same about the medicine cabinet or leaving plant fertiliser on the window sill next to the plant instead of locked up safe somewhere where little Timmy can't get to it.

Edited by Len B'stard

Guns don't kill people, people with guns CAN kill people.

that can be said about anything though GZ. mcveigh blew up and killed almost 200 people with fertilizer.

Point? The weapon of choice for mass murderers seem to be guns. If you want to talk about preventing people from building bombs, that is for another topic. There hasn't been such a bombing since, no? But plenty of shootings.

the point is people will kill people with whatever they can find. if someone is hellbent on killing people they will find a way to do it. 64% of gun death in the US are suicides not homicides and is steadily dropping every year. you see 30 or 40 people getting stabbed to death in attacks in other places. in australia last year something like 8 kids were stabbed to death in an attack. people will always kill people there is no way to stop it, it sucks and i wish it wasnt but it will never end.

Edited by bran

So then promote gun safety surely? Otherwise you could say the same about the medicine cabinet or leaving plant fertiliser on the window sill next to the plant instead of locked up safe somewhere where little Timmy can't get to it.

I mean I guess? But Timmy sees his dad messing around with his assault rifle and thinks it looks cool and decides to check it out himself after his dad goes to sleep.

Look, I'm not saying "Take everyone's guns!", but when the gun debate was big a couple years ago, people acted like the government was going to kick in their doors and take their .22 hunting rifle :lol: But regardless, I don't see why people feel the need for assault rifles, high powered weapons, etc. In the end it'll just have to be an "agree to disagree" topic.

So they can fight the government! A government that has drones and nuclear weapons and tanks. I mean come on, its not like we are in Libya. If some redneck town decides to fight the government all they have to do is cut off their supplies of twinkies and beef jerky and the place will cave.

So just accepting it is better than not coming up with ways to prevent people from killing people? Come on, you know better than that.

no of course not but people need to come to the realization that you cannot save everyone all the time and that the gun murder rate has been going down and has gone down for years since the early 90s. why ban guns and punish the the vast majority of gun owners that dont do these things and that are responsible. the people that are doing these shootings are so small in number compared to responsible gun owners and the overall population of the US.

That's great for responsible gun owners. But something has to be done about the not so responsible people. No more dicking around, changes has to be made.

what can be done to stop criminals from doing criminal things georgy? they act outside of the law and they will continue to do so, you can add a million different laws and criminals will laugh and do what they want, all the while the good citizens which are the vast majority get fucked overf. you can add crazy tough laws but then you end up with cases like in florida where a women fired a warning shot into the wall as her ex husband threaten to kill her and ended up sentenced to 20 years in prison.

We can get rid of Florida. That's a start.

I'd say the weapon of choice for mass murders seems to be drones.

I agree. Buzz in, fry them and buzz out.

The point is, we have to keep trying. You have pointed out that crime rates have been dropping. Then lets keep trying. Banning guns is a little extreme for now, I think we should make it harder for criminals to get guns. Strict background checks, people with criminal records and history of mental illness should not own a gun. Those with gun must go through classes and receive training from instructors.

Banning assault rifles is perfectly reasonable. I think that will cause black market places to sky rocket. Decriminalizing drugs will cause gangs and cartels to loose tons of money, drug money is probably used to purchase such guns. At least more than human trafficking.

Continue tackling the crime rate and increase laws and regulations on assault rifles and high capacity magazines. Perhaps the probability of a mass shooter will drop.

Not to mention have better health care for the mentally ill. I mean that Lanza kid was Asperger's as FUCK. Years ago, when the US did have better mental health faciilties he would have been receiving treatment right now and 26 children and educators would still be alive to this day.

• Like 1

We can get rid of Florida. That's a start.

I'd say the weapon of choice for mass murders seems to be drones.

I agree. Buzz in, fry them and buzz out.

The point is, we have to keep trying. You have pointed out that crime rates have been dropping. Then lets keep trying. Banning guns is a little extreme for now, I think we should make it harder for criminals to get guns. Strict background checks, people with criminal records and history of mental illness should not own a gun. Those with gun must go through classes and receive training from instructors.

Banning assault rifles is perfectly reasonable. I think that will cause black market places to sky rocket. Decriminalizing drugs will cause gangs and cartels to loose tons of money, drug money is probably used to purchase such guns. At least more than human trafficking.

Continue tackling the crime rate and increase laws and regulations on assault rifles and high capacity magazines. Perhaps the probability of a mass shooter will drop.

Not to mention have better health care for the mentally ill. I mean that Lanza kid was Asperger's as FUCK. Years ago, when the US did have better mental health faciilties he would have been receiving treatment right now and 26 children and educators would still be alive to this day.

i would agree with a lot of with your saying especially about drugs and the mental health issues we will have to agree to disagree about rifles.