How much did Get In The ring hurt the band.

Axl has talked about this in an MTV interview and he said he was encouraged to the rant about media people by none other than Duff and Slash.

I truely hope Axl never said this. Just another case of "it wasn't me!", and if it's true, it's just laughable.

• Like 1

Well, I think Axl took the heat for that song even though the other members said it would be a cool rant to have in the middle of the song.

I love this song, because even though it was over 25 years ago, everything Axl said was true. Nothing has changed with all those so called "news" shows when it comes to celebrities news.

Sometimes I watch "E" news and it makes me sick how much they kiss the Kardashians asses. I still don't understand how they are famous and so rich? WTF? It would be funny if they didn't make millions of dollars off the channel and all those jerks who watch them.

I think Axl should re-do Get in the Ring and add a new rant. There's tons of shit he could bitch about now.

• Like 1

Get In The Ring didn't hurt the band at all at the time. If anything, the kids loved it and it gave the band more PR.

When that song came out print journalists had a lot more influence and especially people like Bob Guccione. I loved that song when i was 11 listening to the album when it came out but listening to it now I can't believe it was written by grown adults. It seems so petty. It's hard to think that the people behind them publications that got a thorough sagging wouldn't hold a grudge I think it's a big part of why gnr went out of fashion.

Ive got a book by Mick Wall called the most dangerous band in the world and he comes across as a passionate devout fan and he gets great access to the band. He does nothing but praise them and how great they are. He wrote about Axl offering out Vincent Neill but that's because it happened and he is a journalist so he reported it. I don't know what the others did to piss gnr off so badly but i think writing a song specifically about a group of journalists was a bit stupid and u necessary.

Axl mentioed on a recent interview (if my memory serves me well) that he felt like he was left alone by the band when it came to taking the shit for this song... maybe someone can find that quote, I am not sure where to find it

This is where you find song quotes: http://www.a-4-d.com/t126-get-in-the-ring#144

WOW, THAT IS A NICE PAGE

:headbang:

This Izzy quote is terrific

Axl's real critical of himself, and his anger seems to propel him in a lot of ways. That song 'Get I The Ring', I really love a lot of the lyrics just cos they're really aggressive. Axl played guitar on that track as well, that was the first time I saw him play electric guitar, and he did pretty well. I was digging it cos it was a god punk energy. But with all the names at the end I was thinking, shit! I wouldn't have slagged people off on my record [Kerrang!, September 1992]

When that song came out print journalists had a lot more influence and especially people like Bob Guccione. I loved that song when i was 11 listening to the album when it came out but listening to it now I can't believe it was written by grown adults. It seems so petty. It's hard to think that the people behind them publications that got a thorough sagging wouldn't hold a grudge I think it's a big part of why gnr went out of fashion.

Ive got a book by Mick Wall called the most dangerous band in the world and he comes across as a passionate devout fan and he gets great access to the band. He does nothing but praise them and how great they are. He wrote about Axl offering out Vincent Neill but that's because it happened and he is a journalist so he reported it. I don't know what the others did to piss gnr off so badly but i think writing a song specifically about a group of journalists was a bit stupid and u necessary.

But still sounds a million times better than pretty much anything recorded by any rock band on the last 20 years...

Wow. Just wow.

Well, I think Axl took the heat for that song even though the other members said it would be a cool rant to have in the middle of the song.

I love this song, because even though it was over 25 years ago, everything Axl said was true. Nothing has changed with all those so called "news" shows when it comes to celebrities news.

Sometimes I watch "E" news and it makes me sick how much they kiss the Kardashians asses. I still don't understand how they are famous and so rich? WTF? It would be funny if they didn't make millions of dollars off the channel and all those jerks who watch them.

I think Axl should re-do Get in the Ring and add a new rant. There's tons of shit he could bitch about now.

Wow. So much hostility. Might be time to step away from the TV and internet for awhile and go play outside with the grand kids.

The way some of you people worship everything Axl does is just mind boggling.

It goes back to whether GNR's follow up to AFD should have been a single album of more of the same, I think Axl wanted each album to be different from the last, but when you start off with such a strong debut album, it's going to be hard to top it. It's the old "we've made it...the record company wants a follow up, we have some songs, but we're pretty messed up....now what?"

In a way, if you ever read about Meat Loaf's attempt to follow up "Bat Out of Hell", a lot of things went wrong - his voice went out, but the one thing that also happened that happened with GNR was the cohesion of being in the room writing and making those songs started fracturing. Adler was out, Izzy was starting to check out, the drug problems were rampant and Axl was going through the breakup and struggles that happened on the UYI tour. The Beatles kept it together because they could be in the same room together, but The White Album was where they stopped being a cohesive unit.

It would be interesting to bring Axl and Jim Steinman together... if you're going to do overblown and epic, Steinman definitely is the man for the job.

Everyone I know thought it was a cool song at the time. Of course we were easily impressionable teenagers back then. I still like it now though of course on these boards we have people who were barely born then telling us the song sucks and all of the damage it did to GNR's career. I don't think it hurt Guns in the slightest. Izzy leaving,Slash leaving and one original album in the last few decades kind of hurt a bit more than a fun little Fuck You song.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 1