Independence Day: Resurgence

Black Sabbath

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My wife LOVES to go to the movies. She doesn't care what it is, she just loves to go so sometimes we'll go to stuff like this when she's out of stuff to see that she really wanted to. We saw it last week and it was OK at best. Just too much of a re-hash of the first mixed with some really shitty acting. I liked it more initially but since I've thought on it more, I just didn't think it was that good.

I love to go to movies too, even if the trailer is not that good, I just go and watch it, but well lately been busy with life, so I thought its not worth to watch this movie, the trailer din't excite me at all. Many people who I know din't like the movie, so yeah I know where you are coming from. 

40 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I love to go to movies too, even if the trailer is not that good, I just go and watch it, but well lately been busy with life, so I thought its not worth to watch this movie, the trailer din't excite me at all. Many people who I know din't like the movie, so yeah I know where you are coming from. 

I think I forgot that the trailer didn't do anything for me when I suggested it to her haha. It wasn't even bad per se, it just wasn't great. Does that make any sense? I don't know what I was expecting, nor am I any sort of film expert but I guess the best way I could describe what I expected is "Not That" haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw it today, about as dumb as the original which I didn't mind. Two problems with the movie;

When the first one came out, it was a novel concept with cool effects sequences, this basically redoes those and the novelty has worn off.

The alternate universe with alien technology fused into our civilization makes it harder to care for the invasion this time around.

I did enjoy parts of it, mostly the Brent Spiner and Jef Goldblum scenes but the new cast was rather meh. I did not miss Will Smith, but come to think of it I haven't missed him in anything since the bad string of movies he did in the 00's.

Ok for a rental.

It's a weird little gem of schlock. It's like, perfectly baffling and unintentionally humorous in all the right places. It's not a good movie, but I had a great time watching it, it was kinda fun.

The pacing is just... Baffling. The movie is blockbuster length, but because of all the weird subplots and quick dialogue, the film feels really fast paced, like it hits each narrative note too quickly, and it kinda feels jumbled and twisted.

Its almost the same film as the first one, unapologetically so, except it takes the ridiculousness to a level that can be appreciated ironically, and that's really hard to do (since it has to be unintentional).

I enjoyed it I think. Red Letter Media's review echoes my thoughts

"I shouldn't have bought this boat" :lol:

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1