Which Rolling Stones compilation should I buy?

foghat43

Trying to build up my Stones library, and I want to add a good compilation that covers their early years. Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (Volume I) seems to get recommended a lot, but I've noticed that there are lots of other compilations that have been released since then and that seem to cover the same ground (Singles Collection: The London Years, GRRR, The Very Best of the RS 1964-1971, Forty Licks, etc.)...so I'm a little confused as to which one to buy. I don't consider myself a "completist", but I do want to have a good quality collection that also sounds good (on CD format). And again there are so many remasters/versions, which adds even more to the confusion.

I'm specifically looking for one that covers their early years (64 to Beggars), not one that spans their entire career. I already have the complete albums (starting at Beggars) so I have the "Golden Era" covered. I'm looking for something that adequately covers the pre-Beggars era without having to buy all those individual albums.

So die hard Stones fans please sound off...which compilation should I buy?

And while we're at it...which albums should I add to my collection?...I already have:

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

It's Only Rock n' Roll

Some Girls

Tattoo You

Edited by foghat43

I'd probably go with one of the larger versions of GRRR (I think there's a 3 disc version before you start getting into the really crazy priced editions). It's the most recent so it spans their entire studio career, plus it's the most well-rounded IMO.

Hot Rocks is excellent, but it's quite limited in terms of the eras it covers.

I'd probably go with one of the larger versions of GRRR (I think there's a 3 disc version before you start getting into the really crazy priced editions). It's the most recent so it spans their entire studio career, plus it's the most well-rounded IMO.

Hot Rocks is excellent, but it's quite limited in terms of the eras it covers.

I'm specifically looking for one that covers their early years (64 to Beggars), not one that spans their entire career. I have the albums already (starting at Beggars)...so I'm looking for something that adequately covers the pre-Beggars era without having to buy all those individual albums. Thanks!

The thing that's frustrating about the ABKCO era back catalog is that they decide to put US and UK versions out separately instead of making them one CD or a double CD.

The back catalog's on Spotify so you can just make your own track listing up and get through the "US vs UK" crap.

Hot Rocks & More Hot Rocks are great to listen to, I think More Hot Rocks is a great collection and still listen to that one. The only thing with Hot Rocks is that it's kind of short and live Midnight Rambler kind of eats up space (as epic as it is, swapping that out with the album version cuts it down). It would have made for a good single CD.

There's also the two Big Hits (High Tides & Through the Past Darkly) collections from the era (more US vs UK dilemma, but most of it's pre Beggars).

If you can find it, Rolled Gold is pretty packed with music on 2 CDs (which goes with the album Rambler) and go with the mono versions (surprised they didn't do a mono box set).

I'm pretty sure GRRR! Super Deluxe is out of print.

Edited by dalsh327

The thing that's frustrating about the ABKCO era back catalog is that they decide to put US and UK versions out separately instead of making them one CD or a double CD.

The back catalog's on Spotify so you can just make your own track listing up and get through the "US vs UK" crap.

Hot Rocks & More Hot Rocks are great to listen to, I think More Hot Rocks is a great collection and still listen to that one. The only thing with Hot Rocks is that it's kind of short and live Midnight Rambler kind of eats up space (as epic as it is, swapping that out with the album version cuts it down). It would have made for a good single CD.

There's also the two Big Hits (High Tides & Through the Past Darkly) collections from the era (more US vs UK dilemma, but most of it's pre Beggars).

If you can find it, Rolled Gold is pretty packed with music on 2 CDs (which goes with the album Rambler) and go with the mono versions (surprised they didn't do a mono box set).

I'm pretty sure GRRR! Super Deluxe is out of print.

If you get Hot Rocks which version you get makes difference in sound quality... The 1986 Japanese release is supposed to be the best. It actually was released as separate single CD's so if you want thru complete album you need to buy both. I have the first CD and it sounds fantastic....

Edited by classicrawker

I couldn't do without the early Stones albums, I have to say. Aftermath is a certifiable masterpiece, Mick Jagger's personal favourite, and the first three albums have a rough and ready charm - they really represent the best of British rhythm and blues. On Out of our Heads The Stones were doing all of these soul numbers, Motown, Solomon Burke. Now soul is not something you normally associate with the stones but there it is. It is an important chapter. Even Between the Buttons and Satanic are interesting curios, being as they are a sort of baroque psychedelic. Buttons is basically a Kinks rip off, but a decent Kinks rip. It has that middle class Englishness, London surberbia, about it. And you are not going to find Citadel on any of the hits sets yet that song is a masterpiece. Satanic may just be the most interesting album the stones ever recorded. You could write a whole book on it. It is a flawed statement but thoroughly interesting.

PS

It is the UK albums I'm acquainted with.

Trying to build up my Stones library, and I want to add a good compilation that covers their early years. Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (Volume I) seems to get recommended a lot, but I've noticed that there are lots of other compilations that have been released since then and that seem to cover the same ground (Singles Collection: The London Years, GRRR, The Very Best of the RS 1964-1971, Forty Licks, etc.)...so I'm a little confused as to which one to buy. I don't consider myself a "completist", but I do want to have a good quality collection that also sounds good (on CD format). And again there are so many remasters/versions, which adds even more to the confusion.

I'm specifically looking for one that covers their early years (64 to Beggars), not one that spans their entire career. I already have the complete albums (starting at Beggars) so I have the "Golden Era" covered. I'm looking for something that adequately covers the pre-Beggars era without having to buy all those individual albums.

So die hard Stones fans please sound off...which compilation should I buy?

And while we're at it...which albums should I add to my collection?...I already have:

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

It's Only Rock n' Roll

Some Girls

Tattoo You

Get Aftermath and Out Of Our Heads. Essential early Stones. Preferably the UK pressings.

As for compilations, just get The Singles Collection: The London Years and the 3-disc version of Grrr.

Edited by username

• 2 weeks later...

Goats Head Soup

Buy it TODAY!!

I bought GHS yesterday...so far I've only listened to it all the way through a couple of times. Maybe it will grow on me with more listens, but so far I'm not very impressed with it. Still a worthy addition to my collection since I want to have all the Mick Taylor albums. And it's not a bad album...just somewhat of a let down considering the albums that preceded it.