British couple clones dead dog for $100,000

classicrawker

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/british-couple-clones-dead-dog-100-000-article-1.2478582

How long before they start cloning humans legally?

All they need to do is figure out how to transfer someone's consciousness and it will become a reality I think?

So what is everyone's opinion on Human cloning? Suppose a family loses a child to an accidental death should they be allowed to get that child cloned?

Some people just need to learn how to let go. Find another dog or cat to love. Spend that 100k on helping animals if that's your thing. It's weak, selfish, and fucked up to clone your fuckin' dog.

I support cloning of human organs, when they get better at it. For spare parts, but that's it.

• Like 2

How long before they start cloning humans legally?

Okay, we are talking about reproductive cloning now, not therapeutic cloning or other forms of cloning which to some extents is already reality. Reproductive cloning of humans will not happen very soon, if ever. There simply are too few obvious reasons why anyone would want to do it and way too much objection to it. There is a market for reproductive cloning of animals, like pets and excellent dairy cows, though.

All they need to do is figure out how to transfer someone's consciousness and it will become a reality I think?

Reproductive cloning is to generate a new individual from the genome of another individual. The individual with the donor DNA and the cloned individual will share the same DNA, but just as for twins who also share the same DNA, their conciousness/personality will differ and possibly be very different, even more so for clones than twins since the latter share the same womb and usually much of the same environment which helps to make their personalities similar.

Transfering consciousness/personality is not even something we are close to being able to do since we don't know much about how personalities are molecularly defined in our brains. It will probably come down to the wiring of nerve cells and how we are to transfer such immensely complex structures from one individual to another is completely unknown. This is far within the realm of science fiction. Reproductive cloning, on the other hand, could possibly be technologically feasible within a few years if we tried to develop protocols and procedures for it, but there is little interest for it and it is completely illegal.

So what is everyone's opinion on Human cloning? Suppose a family loses a child to an accidental death should they be allowed to get that child cloned?

No, they shouldn't. Not because it is a folly to try to recreate something that is lost forever (because the personality can't be recreated), which it is, but because it is wrong to create a human being for the sole purpose of that human having to be someone else. No one should have to grow up knowing they are supposed to be someone else.

If it means i can keep my concioiusness and live forever im all for it, wait til I'm 82 and ready to fall off the perch and stick me in a 16 year old Len, ta very much!

What about your 72 virgins? :lol:

I never understood the attraction with virgins? :lol: Why would someone who cant do something well be a prize? And 72 of the bitches, Christ Almighty, that'd get on your wick, wouldnt it? 72 moaning cows who cant do it right that you've gotta be extra specially sensitive with. And me being a darkie on top of everything, i can just see em afterwards 'oh, a darkie, what have i done?' :lol: Calling their mothers in floods of tears, i just cant be havin' it mate :lol:

• Like 1

If it means i can keep my concioiusness and live forever im all for it, wait til I'm 82 and ready to fall off the perch and stick me in a 16 year old Len, ta very much!

I am with you Len,...... If they can give me a new cloned body and transfer my current consciousness into it sign me up....... I have been pretty happy with my current model so just make a new me.........maybe not 16 though but a 18-21 years old model will do.............

• Like 1

Since when Cloning of Animals became Legal?

I don't know if reproductive cloning of animals has ever been illegal. Since it is in its nature a scientific experiment on animals, I suppose every attempt at animal cloning has been approved by any applicable committees on animal testing, but aside from that I think it has been pretty much straight forward for anyone to clone animals.

EDIT: This is in contrast to human reproductive cloning which is illegal in most countries, as far as I know.

Edited by SoulMonster

I don't know if reproductive cloning of animals has ever been illegal. Since it is in its nature a scientific experiment on animals, I suppose every attempt at animal cloning has been approved by any applicable committees on animal testing, but aside from that I think it has been pretty much straight forward for anyone to clone animals.

EDIT: This is in contrast to human reproductive cloning which is illegal in most countries, as far as I know.

I know human cloning is illegal, Animal cloning has been happening, but as far as I know its only for scientific purposes and not for personal usage.

Also, what people don't take into account is that cells only have a certain amount of divisions or reproduction in them. I believe it is estimated that humans could really only live until 140-150 or so even if we make advances in medicine enough to take us there, because our cells would just start breaking down. When you clone cells, your starting point in the cell's life cycle is exactly where it was before you cloned it. If you put a cloned kidney from a 50 year old into a 10 year old, that kid essentially has a 50 year old kidney.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I haven't had a biology class in like 6 years.

Also, what people don't take into account is that cells only have a certain amount of divisions or reproduction in them. I believe it is estimated that humans could really only live until 140-150 or so even if we make advances in medicine enough to take us there, because our cells would just start breaking down. When you clone cells, your starting point in the cell's life cycle is exactly where it was before you cloned it. If you put a cloned kidney from a 50 year old into a 10 year old, that kid essentially has a 50 year old kidney.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I haven't had a biology class in like 6 years.

I am no geneticist but if they are taking the DNA to clone does it matter how old the person is that is the donor of the DNA? From reading it looks like Telomere's effect cell aging?

interesting websites

https://www.genome.gov/25020028#al-8

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/cloningrisks/

I know human cloning is illegal, Animal cloning has been happening, but as far as I know its only for scientific purposes and not for personal usage.

What? The whole introduction to this thread is about commercial cloning of pets. It is already happening, both for pets and for meat and milk producers like cows.

It has to do with certain structures at the end of chromosomes ("telomeres") are reduced in size every time that chromosome if replicated.

Anyways, this issue has been solved. Cloned animals today show no premature aging or shortened lifespans.

I am no geneticist but if they are taking the DNA to clone does it matter how old the person is that is the donor of the DNA? From reading it looks like Telomere's effect cell aging?

interesting websites

https://www.genome.gov/25020028#al-8

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/cloningrisks/

The more I think into it I believe what I was talking about was based on stem cell cloning. I dunno, I can't remember college for some reason.

Yes, it is the telomeres we are talking about. These are basically long inert strecthes of DNA at teh end of chromosome. Due to the nature of how DNA is replicated, these sequences are shortened for each replication. Eventually, they wll be completely gone and any subsequent replications will start to "erode" the functional DNA.

Dolyl the sheep showed shortened telomeres, as have other cloned animals, BUT newly cloned animals doesn't seem to have any affect on their aging or lifespan, so this problem has been solved. Compare these https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1903-cloned-animals-meet-early-deaths/and http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130307122958.htm