Is anyone sad that the Chinese Democracy era is over?

He's a prolific writer of riffs and solos but not actual 'songs' in my opinion. He doesn't have izzys knack of putting together the write chords to form a great song.

Izzy has been involved with nuGNR for some years. Which includes writing sessions. Yet there has been no new songs. So his involvement has changed absolutely nothing.

he is not a band member though. Izzy was last a member of GNR in 1991. What kind of mindset would Izzy have to have in order to write songs for GNR and have somebody else perform them? Surely, he would want to be a part of it.

I think there was a ton of work put into the CD thing, God knows the amount of hours and planning that went on for the last 15 years, but the truth is they have very little to show for it. Despite getting one album the whole era was much like chasing a ghost, there was nothing tangible about what they accomplished. Getting only one album out has got to be viewed as a failure in terms of the overall vision. I'm not sure how Axl feels about what they accomplished, but I'm sure he has a different view. I think he said it's a miracle we have CD, so whatever he was battling during this time period that prevented so much from coming out must have been heavy. I don't doubt there were obstacles, but at the end of the day Axl may have been the biggest obstacle and ultimately if moving on from the demons or whatever was holding him back during this helps him then it's a good thing the era is over.

I think it's been over though for longer than we would like to think. Axl is obviously in a better place in which he can repair friendships and start moving on.

Who knows, maybe the lost pieces of CD will reappear at another time...I guess it's not over until they take the mic out of his hand.

chd era is not over cos pretty sure Slash will play chd songs

I'm sad cos of this regroup

So AFD era isn't over because they play some songs at gigs?

I mean that it will be over if they don't play any ChD song at coachella

which is very unlikely

I know what you mesn but you don't know what I mean.

Regardless of what they will play at coachella CD era is over. This is the reunion era we just stepped in.

Just because they may play some songs of CD it doesn't mean this era isn't over. They also play songs from the Appetite era and nobody claims this is the AFD era.

You know what I mean?

the difference is - there are around 40 ChD songs unreleased (never heard) that we may hear sometime - and how many unreleased (never heard ) AFD songs are there? I guess 0-1

I think first of all that new songs will be written, these guys had material coming out of each others asses, plus the fact that Axl had ideas for whatever he was doing the last 8 years since CD, I think they will finally be re-imagined with Slash & Duff on board. Keep in mind how many different people Slash plays with, some questionable ones as well and mostly all of them great, I believe Slash will do whatever he can to please Axl at this point.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

In all honesty: i really don't understand how can anyone be sad when Slash and Duff come back to the band

If you liked the classic line ups, then you should be happy what you got now. If no new music comes out, Axl doing this "leagcy" act with the proper people. (Izzy or Adler doesn't matter in this case) If new music comes out, who knows? Maybe Slash and Duff will be involved with some of the "second half of chinese".... maybe Izzy involved with some song writing....

If you somewhat liked the CD line ups, you should enjoy this hybrid GNR

It's a WIN-WIN at this point.

I'm only worried about Axl's voice, that's all

Edited by Strange Broue

In some ways no, in some ways yes. I really wanted to believe he could pull it off, and at Hammerstein in 2006, that didnt seem so far fetched. But as time went on, and CD was delayed, then he didnt do any press for it (not really) and then no follow up records (though the tours were fun, esp UCAP) i figured once Bumble and then DJ were gone, that era was dead and gone.

CD Era is gone. It's for the best for Axl and whatever is left for the future of GNR. If new music happens, I'm fine with some of Axl's ideas and thoughts for melodies carrying over. I don't see any chance of Slash and Duff just playing buckethead era stuff to appease Axl. Better chance of Slash and company writing the music and Axl creating new or using old lyrical/melodies of unfinished CD2 stuff on it.

I don't understand keeping Frank, Fortus, Pitman if they aren't releasing some CD era material. Not because they have to but if they are trying to tour the US wouldn't the classic line crush more nostalgia?

I really think you're underestimating Axl's stubbornness. We all said "he won't get back together with original Guns because it renders everything he did for 20 years useless. He doesn't want to feel like a failure." That didn't all of a sudden change. What happened is, unfortunately, we got the only thing that makes sense: a half-reunion of the two important front people (Axl and Slash) and you get a backup of NuGuns, so that Axl can keep them and feel he made good choices. I seriously think its as simple as that.

What throws me is I never thought Slash would agree to that. But he had a divorce and maybe he does need the money. I definitely think it all boils down to, in Axl's mind, if he keeps some NuGuns members on the payroll for a reunion tour, he can make some insane assertion that they're there because they deserve to be there and it was his doing. That his last 20 years wasn't a failure, which to the mainstream world it was.

Why would anyone want it to continue?

It seems like some people secretly liked all the inactivity and problems, it made them feel special for following the band or something.

Things are finally happening!

People definitely got off on the fact that THEY were sticking around and others didn't. They wanted everyone to be wrong. And now that Slash is back, something that basically the whole world wanted, besides those delusional few, they are trying to justify the era. Which I get. It was 15 years of some people's lives. But the bottom line is it was filled with EXACTLY everything you mentioned, and you'd be crazy to miss that. It wasn't GNR, and thats just always been a hard pill for people that "followed" this new band to swallow.

I don't understand keeping Frank, Fortus, Pitman if they aren't releasing some CD era material. Not because they have to but if they are trying to tour the US wouldn't the classic line crush more nostalgia?

I really think you're underestimating Axl's stubbornness. We all said "he won't get back together with original Guns because it renders everything he did for 20 years useless. He doesn't want to feel like a failure." That didn't all of a sudden change. What happened is, unfortunately, we got the only thing that makes sense: a half-reunion of the two important front people (Axl and Slash) and you get a backup of NuGuns, so that Axl can keep them and feel he made good choices. I seriously think its as simple as that.

What throws me is I never thought Slash would agree to that. But he had a divorce and maybe he does need the money. I definitely think it all boils down to, in Axl's mind, if he keeps some NuGuns members on the payroll for a reunion tour, he can make some insane assertion that they're there because they deserve to be there and it was his doing. That his last 20 years wasn't a failure, which to the mainstream world it was.

Personally I have a feeling that YOU are underestimating Axl's stubbornness. There's no way he's just gonna forget about CD2. It will be released in some form or another. With the help of Slash and Duff, or without. That's my prediction.

Personally I have a feeling that YOU are underestimating Axl's stubbornness. There's no way he's just gonna forget about CD2. It will be released in some form or another. With the help of Slash and Duff, or without. That's my prediction.

To be fair, I think one of the signs of aspergers, is to become fixated on a particular thing.

The album IS NOT DONE. I don't know how to get that into people's heads. If it was, we'd have it. Yes, I'm sure songs exist. Yes, if Guns made a new album I'm sure those would be thrown into the pot. But no, Axl does not have an album (laughably titled) Chinese Democracy 2, in the bag, that Slash and Duff would just add parts to. He has songs, the same way Slash and Duff would have songs.

You're underestimating that Axl has at many times said things that aren't true. Too many to list. So no, I'm not underestimating his stubbornness. I know how stubborn he is. You are underestimating how much he DOESN'T want to put out new music. A semi-Guns reunion CONFIRMS that. I can't have this discussion on this board again.

The album IS NOT DONE. I don't know how to get that into people's heads. If it was, we'd have it. Yes, I'm sure songs exist. Yes, if Guns made a new album I'm sure those would be thrown into the pot. But no, Axl does not have an album (laughably titled) Chinese Democracy 2, in the bag, that Slash and Duff would just add parts to. He has songs, the same way Slash and Duff would have songs.

You're underestimating that Axl has at many times said things that aren't true. Too many to list. So no, I'm not underestimating his stubbornness. I know how stubborn he is. You are underestimating how much he DOESN'T want to put out new music. A semi-Guns reunion CONFIRMS that. I can't have this discussion on this board again.

Lol, why are you acting like you KNOW things? You're not an insider and you don't know shit!

You don't know if the album is done. You don't know how much Axl wants to release it. This semi reunion doesn't confirm ANYTHING. For all we know this reunion could have been in the making for a long time and because of that reason CD2 hasn't been released yet. Cause what would be the point in releasing the album with DJ Ashba, if you're going to replace him soon with Slash.

But yeah, I'm not interested in making a big argument about this. Especially not with someone who acts like he's an insider. We don't know anything. We can only make guesses. So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

• Like 1

Lol, why are you acting like you KNOW things? You're not an insider and you don't know shit!

You don't know if the album is done. You don't know how much Axl wants to release it. This semi reunion doesn't confirm ANYTHING. For all we know this reunion could have been in the making for a long time and because of that reason CD2 hasn't been released yet. Cause what would be the point in releasing the album with DJ Ashba, if you're going to replace him soon with Slash.

But yeah, I'm not interested in making a big argument about this. Especially not with someone who acts like he's an insider. We don't know anything. We can only make guesses. So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

We won't have an argument because I'll stop here, and it sounds like you will too, but I just have to ask:

You get that its just as funny to say I act like I know things as it is for you to say "he's not just gonna abandon CD2", like you know its done. Right? You know that thats funny, right? I just gotta know, cause thats the kind of stuff here that makes me crack up. People yell when others shut CD2 stuff down, but those that claim it exists are just as clueless so its completely hypocritical.

But yeah, thats all I'm curious about. Won't continue the conversion after that.

We won't have an argument because I'll stop here, and it sounds like you will too, but I just have to ask:

You get that its just as funny to say I act like I know things as it is for you to say "he's not just gonna abandon CD2", like you know its done. Right? You know that thats funny, right? I just gotta know, cause thats the kind of stuff here that makes me crack up. People yell when others shut CD2 stuff down, but those that claim it exists are just as clueless so its completely hypocritical.

But yeah, thats all I'm curious about. Won't continue the conversion after that.

Nowhere in that sentence did I say that I know it's done. But we know that there's many unreleased CD-era songs that many people have heard and according to Axl CD2 is pretty much done. So knowing how stubborn Axl is, it feels very unlikely that he'd just abandon CD2 completely. But yeah, I did say that it was my prediction that it's gonna be released in some form or another. Unlike you I wasn't talking about it as a fact that other people should get in their heads. Why would I want to change people's minds? All I want to do here is discuss things and bring up different points of views to consider.

Hopefully that answers your question.

So Axl keeps the new Guns back line just to justify the last 15 years but then never does an interview anyway.

Maybe Fortus, Dizzy, Frank, Pitman have already laid down tracks for an album. Axl has recorded vocals but wasn't completely happy with the guitar work.

But when basically the US tour or festival shows is where the money is won't it be smart to just get Izzy and Adler up at Coachella cause a storm. Then they might get 3 mil a show? People won't be whining about $250 a ticket.

Also, Axl just handing the new record over to Slash, Duff, Izzy musically could be very liberating. A reunion record could get iTunes money, or sell 10 mil. It would be a landmark record in the history of rock.

This would also promo the tour next year. If they have a 10 track rock n roll album coming out in March that would really take things to the next level.

People mention Fortus's name here like he's some kind of demigod. He is not fit to shine Izzy's shoes..yes he's a good guitar player..so what? Millions of homeless dudes can play guitar well too. He will never be able to write songs like Izzy or make an album as good as Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars because he's JUST a guitar player...he even looks like Izzy on the back of the Appetite cover which should raise some alarms as to why he was hired and not the millions of homeless dudes around the world who can maybe write better songs and play in a style more suited to GNR.

Slash has NEVER had a guitar partner as good as Izzy or Gilby and never will..when you find the right one, you stick with them or else you end up with someone that you have no connection with or you end up alone.

Led Zeppelin was a great band. Imagine if they tried to put some other person (who was good) in the band...the band would suck..because the connection/chemistry isn't there. Original GNR had a chemistry that was too valuable and they threw it away because of their pompous egos..now they will have to play for the blinded fans who think 3 of the original 5 is a 'reunion'. This is simply Slash replacing DJ Ashba in NUGNR.

Matt Sorum was spot on when he questioned how someone could get kicked out of GNR for taking too many drugs. They sent Steven to detox before they fired him and he was suffering from withdrawal symptoms..that's why he couldn't lay the grooves down.

Edited by sonofnazareth
  • Like 2

People mention Fortus's name here like he's some kind of demigod. He is not fit to shine Izzy's shoes..yes he's a good guitar player..so what? Millions of homeless dudes can play guitar well too. He will never be able to write songs like Izzy or make an album as good as Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars because he's JUST a guitar player...he even looks like Izzy on the back of the Appetite cover which should raise some alarms as to why he was hired and not the millions of homeless dudes around the world who can maybe write better songs and play in a style more suited to GNR.

Hey, on the 18785th day Fortus did come up with that "dundadun dundadun dundadundun" part in Better! ;)