The British Thread

Snake-Pit

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never watched Bottom or The Young Ones. They are just things which slipped me by growing up, and never enticed me enough to watch in later life.

Rik Mayall has followed me my whole life somehow.  I remember seeing Grimms Fairytales as a kid with him presenting, The Young Ones, Bottom, Drop Dead Fred, The New Statesman i remember being on though never watching...he just seemed omnipresent.

Bottom is hilairious...oddly enough inspired by Waiting for Godot.

:( i feel bad. i don't know if i should post here, what is the criteria? i am of English descent. Anne Boleyn and Sir John Hawkins are distant relatives, and i also have tons of other English relatives, both on my mother's side and my paternal grandmother's. )

i probably won't get much of this but i do have some knowledge of British things and i would enjoy learning more :D

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

:( i feel bad. i don't know if i should post here, what is the criteria? i am of English descent. Anne Boleyn and Sir John Hawkins are distant relatives, and i also have tons of other English relatives, both on my mother's side and my paternal grandmother's. )

i probably won't get much of this but i do have some knowledge of British things and i would enjoy learning more :D

Feel free to view videos/posts you've probably never heard of before (not being from the UK and all) and use these posts as maybe an insight into the modern day British frame of mind?

Also, post whatever 'Britishness' you want to remain on topic and as ever, this is as much my thread as it is yours; Anyone can post in them and it's always better to remain on topics in threads etc...

Out of interest, is there anything you've seen in here/this thread that you've not heard of before seeing it here?

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Hawkins was a slave trader. Beat yourself with historical guilt.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

Feel free to view videos/posts you've probably never heard of before (not being from the UK and all) and use these posts as maybe an insight into the modern day British frame of mind?

Also, post whatever 'Britishness' you want to remain on topic and as ever, this is as much my thread as it is yours; Anyone can post in them and it's always better to remain on topics in threads etc...

Out of interest, is there anything you've seen in here/this thread that you've not heard of before seeing it here?

yes! Len taught me the meaning of two words ( one was slushi-ness, the other was poof :P ) also i now kind of know who Purple Aki is. i'm sure there's more but my brain is on shutdown at the moment.

i know some British sitcoms, like your version of The Office that we ripped off. i would take David Brent over Steve Carrel any day! and i used to watch My Family because i loved Kris Marshall from Love Actually. but they moved it from the time i used to watch it and then they stopped playing it all together. btw Gabriel Thomson looked so much like David Faustino from our show Married With Children it was uncanny!

there's other things i'd love to discuss, and they would for sure stay on topic :)

thanks!

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hawkins was a slave trader. Beat yourself with historical guilt.

yes i know :(

he was second cousin to Sir Francis Drake so i guess Drake's a distant relative as well. he was also a slaver so guess i should beat myself with historical guilt over him as well :)

i have been to Drake's Bay, it's quite beautiful so there's that :D

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

13 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yes! Len taught me the meaning of two words ( one was slushi-ness, the other was poof :P ) also i now kind of know who Purple Aki is. i'm sure there's more but my brain is on shutdown at the moment.

i know some British sitcoms, like your version of The Office that we ripped off. i would take David Brent over Steve Carrel any day! and i used to watch My Family because i loved Kris Marshall from Love Actually. but they moved it from the time i used to watch it and then they stopped playing it all together. btw Gabriel Thomson looked so much like David Faustino from our show Married With Children it was uncanny!

there's other things i'd love to discuss, and they would for sure stay on topic :)

thanks!

Im not sure slushieness is an actual word yknow, i think it might be a Len-ism, sort of taking the word mushy and turning it into slushy, it just sounded right :lol:

• Like 1

Pimp

"We're crashing!"

"Okay, I'd make a note of it."

"You just crashed on a national monument!"

"Terribly sorry, which way to the train station?"

"You are under arrest!"

"Girl? You have a girl on board"...

Then they bribe the cop with the girl/pimping her out.

Telefons in the UK happen, but since public TV is paid for through TV License enforced by law and not public donation; we have them, but for charitable causes instead, seeing all our favourite TV stars get silly once or twice a year in the name to raise money.

10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@AxlsFavoriteRose yeah pretty much. it's basically about life and death, worth watching imo. this is the theme song sung by Art Garfunkel, prepare to cry!

*weeping*

poor bunnies :(

someone once recommended i read Watership Down then proceeded to tell me the plot. i was like oh HELL no!

my mom kept me sheltered from anything with animal death. Bambi, Old Yeller, things like that. and i still can't watch it. the last thing i saw where an animal died was Marley and Me and i sobbed at the part where Marley had to be put to sleep :no: