Do you think that Axl saved the big guns for a possible reunion?

13 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Exactly my point.  We hear it all the time at sports events and everyone (even non fans) will sing along to the many hit songs off the album....but when you look at the majority of top ten lists, it's rarely listed unless it's a "hard" rock listing or heavy metal listing.  AFD should be a top 10 rock album, period.

Doesn't work that way though. A rock album is too general. Appetite reflects the combination of the different personalities of the people who created it, their ideas. And even if you try to compare it to just hard rock albums by different bands, what is your criteria? how do you decide? seems to be too subjective. It's like comparing groups of people in a way if you know what I mean.

And even if you somehow try to put together a list, it seems to me top 10 cannot consist of a retro album such as Appetite. But that's the thing, isnt it? other people won't give a fuck if it's retro.

So I don't really believe lists mean anything, but it's definitely one of the best hard rock albums of all time. I don't need someone to tell me it is. The quality of the music, the consistency of most of the songs is still unbelievable. It gets enough love imo.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Exactly my point.  We hear it all the time at sports events and everyone (even non fans) will sing along to the many hit songs off the album....but when you look at the majority of top ten lists, it's rarely listed unless it's a "hard" rock listing or heavy metal listing.  AFD should be a top 10 rock album, period.

I think it maybe the sleaziness of the lyrics. Maybe like Nevermind the bollocks it's a little shocking here and there. There's nicer sentiments on Beatles or Eagles, Floyd, REM, Dylan, Bruce, U2. Just a thought. Like the Time magazine quote "what they play is very good, what they say is very bad."

that element takes away some mass appeal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I think it maybe the sleaziness of the lyrics. Maybe like Nevermind the bollocks it's a little shocking here and there. There's nicer sentiments on Beatles or Eagles, Floyd, REM, Dylan, Bruce, U2. Just a thought. Like the Time magazine quote "what they play is very good, what they say is very bad."

that element takes away some mass appeal. 

Interesting point. I'm glad One In A Million is on Lies.

3 minutes ago, Teroz said:

No way. The reasons why he does not release stuff are not based on the reunion, and I am skeptic about this reunion thing working out as well, come April we'll see. 

Do you think he's just being cautious over his legend status or is it more just being happy with the music? 

To me it's almost like I could tour for 10 more years or I can do 6 years and disappear into the dry ice. 

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Interesting point. I'm glad One In A Million is on Lies.

You have to be pretty open minded to see the artistic merit. It's much easier to play Thunder Road at the family barbq. For Those about to Rock is a little more subtle than AFD. AFD is gangster rock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasted said:

You have to be pretty open minded to see the artistic merit. It's much easier to play Thunder Road at the family barbq. For Those about to Rock is a little more subtle than AFD. AFD is gangster rock. 

and influenced by what Thin Lizzy, UFO and Nazareth were singing about in the 1970's and early 1980's. 

On 1/27/2016 at 2:23 AM, DeadSlash said:

Maybe on purpose, because in the back of his mind he knew/felt it would happen.

Maybe subliminaly because he simply could not get the sound he wanted out of other musicians, Axl has said, on record that not having Slash was the main thing preventing the release of a proper GnR record. I just came out of another post saying a new album should be 100% from scratch material, I think that is just plain asinine. If The General has been sitting on the shelf in desperate need of Slash's sound, I cannot wait to hear it.

At this point, I'm sure Slash. Duff and probably Izzy have heard Axl's stash and I would be SHOCKED if there has not been a discussion about what they could add to a song.

I think our most realistic shot at a new album is one that is half written. Treat the current versions of Axl's best material like drum machine demos, drop all other musicians and record it with Slash, Duff and whoever else joins sound and spin.

Imagine "This I love" with Slash instead?

Leave the "Should and shouldn't BS for the other thread, this thread is strictly about the POSSIBILITY that Axl hung on to what he thought were his best songs because he always knew they would only be epic with Slash's touch.

B_2uMTQUIAEyEzk.jpg

We all know that Axl has chosen some real shitty guns on the last 2 decades

They have misfired and made Axl look bad

But he still has FOUR BIG GUNS

He hasnt shot them lately

Yet they seem to be cocked and loaded as of now

Ready to fire

If he shoots them right...

spot_2771_2001.jpg

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

and influenced by what Thin Lizzy, UFO and Nazareth were singing about in the 1970's and early 1980's. 

What I was thinking was that Guns lyrics are less subtle than say Stones or Aerosmith. On Sticky Fingers for example I can't think of anything as overt as It's so easy and the realness made it seem more dangerous than ACDC double entrendres. Maybe it's just the scuzzy snapshot of AFD isn't as universal as vague hippyisms. Certain lyrical excesses don't really go well with Lexus driving baby boomers. I just can't see soccer moms playing It's so easy or Fuck the police in their cars in 10 years like people play Hotel California or Darkside of the Moon or Abbey Road. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

It's So Easy's on classic rock radio and soccer moms usually put on Alanis Morrissette...I guess GNR get to be credited for "You Oughta Know" or Pink putting "Fuckin' Perfect" out and it being a hit. Parents stopped looking for sanitized versions of songs. 

Maybe it's just a matter of time. This reunion will put GNR higher up the pecking order. In my generation AFD seems more important than Hysteria, Nevermind, 10. I always think Automatic for the People has longevity. 

49 minutes ago, wasted said:

What I was thinking was that Guns lyrics are less subtle than say Stones or Aerosmith. On Sticky Fingers for example I can't think of anything as overt as It's so easy and the realness made it seem more dangerous than ACDC double entrendres. Maybe it's just the scuzzy snapshot of AFD isn't as universal as vague hippyisms. Certain lyrical excesses don't really go well with Lexus driving baby boomers. I just can't see soccer moms playing It's so easy or Fuck the police in their cars in 10 years like people play Hotel California or Darkside of the Moon or Abbey Road. 

I agree, but the Stones could be as dirty (lyrically) as GNR. Have you listened to Goats Head Soup and in particular, 'Star Star'?

Baby, baby, I've been so sad since you've been gone
Way back to New York City
Where you do belong

Honey, I missed your two tongue kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to Fun City, girl
I'm gonna make you scream all night

Honey, honey, call me on the telephone
I know you're movin' out to Hollywood
With your can of tasty foam
All those beat up friends of mine
Got to get you in their books
And lead guitars and movie stars
Get their toes beneath your hook

Yeah! You're a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
Yeah, a star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star
A star fucker, star fucker, star fucker, star fucker star

Yeah, I heard about you Polaroid's
Now that's what I call obscene>
Your tricks with fruit was kind a cute
I bet you keep your pussy clean

Honey, I miss your two tone kisses
Legs wrapped around me tight
If I ever get back to New York, girl
Gonna make you scream all night

Yeah, Ali McGraw got mad with you
For givin' head to Steve McQueen
Yeah, and me we made a pretty pair
Fallin' through the Silver Screen

Honey, I'm open to anything
I don't know where to draw the line
Yeah, I'm makin' bets that you gonna get
(You man) before he dies
(John Wayne)

53 minutes ago, wasted said:

Also, how about 'Some Girls' from 1978?

English girls they're so prissy
I can't stand them on the telephone
Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook
I don't want them to ever call at all
White girls they're pretty funny
Sometimes they drive me mad
Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
I just don't have that much jam
Chinese girls are so gentle
They're really such a tease
You never know quite what they're cookin'
Inside those silky sleeves

Yes, but Goat's head isn't their biggest album and it's not that well known a song. Whereas Guns have this one album and every song is kind of unsavioury and there's some blunt lines there. It's more out front on AFD. Goat's head is a nice album. 

There's also the different tone of Axl and Jagger. Mick sounds arch talking about flatness. Axl makes the telephone book sound sleazy. There isn't a playfulness like with DC or Stones. The subject matter isnt that relatable to everyone. maybe it's just a matter of time before AFD is top 10. I feel like it's better than Back in Black. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Also, how about 'Some Girls' from 1978?

English girls they're so prissy
I can't stand them on the telephone
Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook
I don't want them to ever call at all
White girls they're pretty funny
Sometimes they drive me mad
Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
I just don't have that much jam
Chinese girls are so gentle
They're really such a tease
You never know quite what they're cookin'
Inside those silky sleeves

But this isn't a top 100 album either? Sticky Fingers and Exile are generally higher? 

I understand what your saying about the Stones having dirty lyricss though. But for the most part those lists arent chock full of misogny and sleaze. 

I was just saying maybe that element does work against GNR somewhere. maybe we are just biased. 

14 minutes ago, wasted said:

Yes, but Goat's head isn't their biggest album and it's not that well known a song. Whereas Guns have this one album and every song is kind of unsavioury and there's some blunt lines there. It's more out front on AFD. Goat's head is a nice album. 

There's also the different tone of Axl and Jagger. Mick sounds arch talking about flatness. Axl makes the telephone book sound sleazy. There isn't a playfulness like with DC or Stones. The subject matter isnt that relatable to everyone. maybe it's just a matter of time before AFD is top 10. I feel like it's better than Back in Black. 

Good points. 

• Like 1