Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

Was it altered the most? I would have thought that would have been Jedi. 

Jedi Rocks, the Max Rebo Band

The Sarlaac

Removal of Yub Nub

Celebration theme pre-prequels (No Naboo/Gungan "Weesa free!"), Celebration theme post-prequels

"Nooooooo"

Hayden Force ghost

Maybe you're right. That's all I can think of from Jedi. Although if it's environmental changes instead of additional scenes, I think I might say Empire because of Cloud City. 

But there's no reason Fox/Disney couldn't come to some type of agreement if it makes them both money. 

You forgot about the Ewoks with blinking eyes and Sebulba being added to jabba's palace. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

You forgot about the Ewoks with blinking eyes and Sebulba being added to jabba's palace. 

Hmm...seems like the Ewoks blinking is just nitpicking. I've never noticed it. And I don't think Sebulba was added to his palace. Maybe another Dug. 

11 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Was it altered the most? I would have thought that would have been Jedi. 

Jedi Rocks, the Max Rebo Band

The Sarlaac

Removal of Yub Nub

Celebration theme pre-prequels (No Naboo/Gungan "Weesa free!"), Celebration theme post-prequels

"Nooooooo"

Hayden Force ghost

Maybe you're right. That's all I can think of from Jedi. Although if it's environmental changes instead of additional scenes, I think I might say Empire because of Cloud City. 

But there's no reason Fox/Disney couldn't come to some type of agreement if it makes them both money. 

You could be right. At the very least, Jedi got some pretty drastic changes. I think ANH has the most in terms of quantity though. I find the whole thing pretty fascinating and I really don't mind a lot of the technical changes.

14 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well according to the director of Rogue One, they just did a 4K restoration of the original film, but whether it'll ever be released or if it's the original version remains to be seen. 

Wasn't this confirmed to not be the theatrical version anyway?

From theatrical release to Blu-Ray, yes ANH definitely has the most. But from home video when it was officially changed to Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope to Blu-Ray, I think it might have less than ROTJ. I'd need to watch them all again. 

Well maybe not. Off the top of my head...

Color/scenery in Artoo/Jawa scene, added rocks. 

Changing Obi-Wan's howl between OT, SE, DVD, and Blu Ray. I think there are four different howls. 

Greedo shoots first, Greedo and Han shoot at the same time. Han jerks his head weirdly. 

Jabba scene which wasn't that bad in 1997 (apart from being redundant)

Mos Eisley entrance with the Jawas riding the dinosaur, womp rats, removed awful orange blob under speeder. 

Dewbacks, shuttle taking off while stormtroopers search the escape pod. 

Millennium Falcon takeoff

Added stormtroopers on Death Star that Han runs into. 

Added footage of the fighters amassing before the attack on the Death Star. 

Death Star/Alderann explosions added a ring. 

Yeah, I say ANH had more changes, but ROTJ had more bad changes. I don't care if Han shot first, but I prefer Lapti Nek over Jedi Rocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

From theatrical release to Blu-Ray, yes ANH definitely has the most. But from home video when it was officially changed to Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope to Blu-Ray, I think it might have less than ROTJ. I'd need to watch them all again. 

Well maybe not. Off the top of my head...

Color/scenery in Artoo/Jawa scene, added rocks. 

Changing Obi-Wan's howl between OT, SE, DVD, and Blu Ray. I think there are four different howls. 

Greedo shoots first, Greedo and Han shoot at the same time. Han jerks his head weirdly. 

Jabba scene which wasn't that bad in 1997 (apart from being redundant)

Mos Eisley entrance with the Jawas riding the dinosaur, womp rats, removed awful orange blob under speeder. 

Dewbacks, shuttle taking off while stormtroopers search the escape pod. 

Millennium Falcon takeoff

Added stormtroopers on Death Star that Han runs into. 

Added footage of the fighters amassing before the attack on the Death Star. 

Death Star/Alderann explosions added a ring. 

Yeah, I say ANH had more changes, but ROTJ had more bad changes. I don't care if Han shot first, but I prefer Lapti Nek over Jedi Rocks.

That's a good way of putting it - Jedi had less changes but more noticeably bad ones.

The Greedo shooting is even more of a non-event on the Blu-ray since they trimmed it down to basically a flash and Han no longer does the awkward jerk to the point where it's noticeable. The '97 VHS admittedly looked terrible. I also don't mind the CGI Jabba in the hangar. It looks okay now compared to the initial '97 render.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

That's a good way of putting it - Jedi had less changes but more noticeably bad ones.

The Greedo shooting is even more of a non-event on the Blu-ray since they trimmed it down to basically a flash and Han no longer does the awkward jerk to the point where it's noticeable. The '97 VHS admittedly looked terrible. I also don't mind the CGI Jabba in the hangar. It looks okay now compared to the initial '97 render.

I didn't know they took out Han's neck jerk. That's the only beef I had with that scene. I don't really care if Han shoots, but that animation was so off-putting.

42 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

I didn't know they took out Han's neck jerk. That's the only beef I had with that scene. I don't really care if Han shoots, but that animation was so off-putting.

If I remember correctly the initial change in 1997 wasn't that bad, but the DVD release in 2004 was really bad and they kind  of fixed it with the Blu Ray. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My mate - who is a big fan - says there are tons of special editions where Lucas was just pasting rubbish on and removing it ad hoc with each release.

That's correct. For instance, in the 1997 version, lucas added a cringe-worthy scream as luke was falling down the giant vacuum in Empire, and then took it away again for the 2004 version and ownward. He clearly has no direct "vision" or whatever. He's just making this shit up as he goes along. Plus, the fact that he added a scream there at all shows that he totally missed the point of that scene in the first place. It's pretty unethical of him to be making alterations to films he didn't even write or direct imo.

Some of the changes are so minimal and barely noticeable that it's a wonder why he even bothered. His defences over the years have been quite bizarre as well.

"I had to limit the story I wanted to tell with what technology I had available."

I mean, does he really think that the story wasn't truly complete without those rats in the foreground of Ben and Luke's entrance to Mos Eisley?

Then of course there was the time he actually tried to say that he always intended to have Greedo shoot first but hadn't cut it correctly in the editing room. This was well after he already said he changed it so kids wouldn't see Han killing in cold blood (which wasn't all that cold anyways since Han knew damn well Greedo was there to off him).

I honestly believe that George truly thought all his changes made the films better. He's a fine example of the artist being his own worst critic. 

Like I said previously though, most of the changes don't bother me and I'm used to them. In fact, I think some of the more technical changes like expanded landscape shots and colour correction are actually very good and look excellent on Blu-ray.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Some of the changes are so minimal and barely noticeable that it's a wonder why he even bothered. His defences over the years have been quite bizarre as well.

"I had to limit the story I wanted to tell with what technology I had available."

I mean, does he really think that the story wasn't truly complete without those rats in the foreground of Ben and Luke's entrance to Mos Eisley?

Then of course there was the time he actually tried to say that he always intended to have Greedo shoot first but hadn't cut it correctly in the editing room. This was well after he already said he changed it so kids wouldn't see Han killing in cold blood (which wasn't all that cold anyways since Han knew damn well Greedo was there to off him).

I honestly believe that George truly thought all his changes made the films better. He's a fine example of the artist being his own worst critic. 

Like I said previously though, most of the changes don't bother me and I'm used to them. In fact, I think some of the more technical changes like expanded landscape shots and colour correction are actually very good and look excellent on Blu-ray.

I honestly think he's just senial and has been that way since at least the 90s. Simple as that. He acted like a huge hypocrite asshole in that Charlie Rose interview from 2015 as well.

In ANH when Artoo hides in the cave on Tattooine from the sand people, Lucas added extra rocks at the caves entrance. Not only is that a bizarre addition, but the way the rocks are positioned make it impossible for Artoo to fit in it anyways

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sounds a lot like a certain red-headed singer and his tinkering on a certain long awaited album?

Lucas and Axl actually have a lot of parallels. 

Both made great content with the help of the people around them (A New Hope/ Appetite for Destruction)

Both then developed huge egos which lead them to taking 15-16 years to make something almost entirely on their own which ultimately failed (The Phantom Menace/ Chinese Democracy)

Both tried to rewrite their own history (Lucas with the special editions, Axl with the re-recorded versions of the old albums that, thankfully, were never released)

Both eventually learned how to compromise (lucas by selling the rights to disney so that star wars could kinda be relevant again, Axl by reuniting with slash and duff so that GN'R could kinda be relevant again)

But both are still kinda bitter (Lucas thinks disney is a bunch of "white slavers", Axl still has some issues with Steven and now a bunch of issues with izzy, it seems)

oh yeah and both got fat (though admittedly Axl is looking a bit better these days)

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2