Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

Totally agree on Clone Wars and Star Wars novels. And I agree that "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" could have been much more deeper than that instead of constant politic talks and bad romance. Still I think they are very interesting things underlying the story.

Well if you're doing a new trilogy to something as legendary as Star Wars, at least you're trying to achieve a certain level where you're going to do your best to blow people's minds with news worlds, concepts etc. Which is probably not going to happen.

It's all about maximum profits and minimum risks and it's a scam. Fans are genuinely buying this into thinking this is the best that Disney could have done. 

I'm not even sure JJ knew where they were going with it. It's baby steps here, and baby steps there I guess that's why JJ was approached to direct TFA first. 

I feel JJ knew where he was going with it, but that's just more of an opinion of mine. I guess we'll have to see on that front.

All movies are about profit, unless they're indie movies. That'll never change. Especially with a brand as big as Star Wars. 

At the end of the day, the more interesting underlying themes of the prequels never got to see the light of day. They were never allowed to flourish. That's why they failed miserably. You know it's bad when the one portion of Ep. III that fans constantly talk about is the "Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise" conversation between Anakin and Palpatine, instead of discussing how cool Anakin's transition to Darth Vader was. It was so botched in theme and execution that it's hard for me to even consider them worthwhile SW films. They have redeeming qualities. I'm not that much of a downer on them. If JJ Abrams doesn't make the perfect movie off the bat (which he didn't), then I can look past it because it was his first attempt on a franchise that's bigger than anything out there as far as brands go. But Lucas should've known better. That's the ultimate disappointment. The man who created it all is the one who couldn't even put it all together. 

So, again, I'll accept JJ's and Disney's faults in this instance. I don't want a whole trilogy like TFA, as I think it was a good introductory movie that had some blemishes. But I can still go into VIII and legitimately have optimism. I could never say that for Lucas after the PT.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. Different strokes, I guess. If his heart was still into SW, he would've done it. It speaks volumes that it's now Disney calling the shots. People can shit on Disney all they want. Lucas never had to sell the brand. 

I love what he did with Star Wars originally, but his time has long passed.

Some people are lunatic fans. Still doesn't change the fact that he made shitty films. I'm not going to feel that badly for him. I get called shit at my job too, and I don't have millions of dollars. No one is going to feel badly for him.

4 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Some people are lunatic fans. Still doesn't change the fact that he made shitty films. I'm not going to feel that badly for him. I get called shit at my job too, and I don't have millions of dollars. No one is going to feel badly for him.

But the quality of a film can't be measured in facts. It's all opinion. 

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this the franchise which began life as a fourth installment with the intention to flesh out the backstory at a later date?

It is not a question of whether the story functions well within the film itself. It is a question of its connective tissue with the original trilogy, e.g. the finale of Return of the Jedi. Currently The Force Awakens seems to exist in a sort of vacuum.

No. Just a R2D2 reprise.

There is a difference between borrowing certain aesthetics and plot aspects from films and reassembling them, and rebooting a franchise's own opening installment practically in toto.

Personally I see a lot of similarities to A New Hope, but I also see a lot of differences. Again, can't really defend the Starkiller base, any criticism of that plot point is probably valid. Luckily the base played more of a backdrop role in the film, rather than being a looming prescense throughout the film like the original Death Star.

I mean, Rae dresses like Luke and lives on a desert planet, BB-8 is carrying useful plot data and crash lands on a desert planet. There is a new Death Star and it blows up, and there is another cantina at the end of the second act, rather than the end of the first act like ANH. Although the cantina criticism I hear is a little nit picky. The tone and purpose of that scene however is very very different than a new hope, the only thing they have in common is being at a bar. 

That's a pretty good bit of rehashing, but not enough to be distracting or annoying. In fact I felt that Rogue One rehashed way more imagery and ideas from the original trilogy than TFA. 

I mean, Darth Maul is generic sith man, sporting black and red, with an obvious "I'm the BAD GUY in case you couldn't tell" kinda look. That's a little sillier to me than BB-8 being an astromech droid like R2, but with a lot of fun interesting physical changes, and his design is absolutely magnificent. Probably one of the most interesting looking droids I've seen in scifi besides maybe HAL or the droid from Intersteller.

To me it sounds like you didn't like the film because you were expecting it to be something wildly new, which risks isolating TFA from the other films even more. I felt that the balance between old and new was well done in TFA. 

I do agree that it feels like it exists in a vacuum, but to be honest I feel the prequels do too, and while that disappointed my expectations a bit, it didn't at all turn me off of the film, as it is pretty enjoyable and well done.

I particularly thought Kylo Ren was refreshing. Seeing a SW villain that isn't a creepy or deep voiced who is exhaustingly sadistic is an improvement for me. I dig that he struggles sith controlling his emotions, is sloppy, and makes a lot of mistakes. His character is volitile and dangerous, but lackint discipline and control. He's what Anakin should have been.

Oh, and Rey and Finns escape from Jakku in the Falcon is a 10/10 SW scene

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

“On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

Tell me someone from 1977 would not want the choice to see the original film they saw or the one that Lucas went into and surgically "fixed". Some people want to see it because that's what they saw. I'm used to the special editions now, so I don't really care one way or the other. But it's pretty silly that he doesn't give people an option because the original versions are "lost" in the annals of history.

Yeah, well, you're a lucky bastard lol.

I lost my VHS tapes in a move and I've only seen those 2006 DVDs once outside of eBay, and I didn't have my wallet. So, I've shat the bed twice. I just don't have it in me to bid on any from eBay, as I'm still hoping for some kind of re-release someday.

I bring these up all the time. Star Wars: Despecialized Edition. 

Nerds have gone through PAINSTAKING processes, as far as scanning original film prints to restore them to untucked glory.

I believe Star Wars has the most work put in, but Empire and Jedi have a release as well.

38 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Didn't Lucas physically destroy the original reels? I think they are gone forever.

Otherwise I bet Disney would have released them before TFA or Rogue One to maintain the hype

Well according to the director of Rogue One, they just did a 4K restoration of the original film, but whether it'll ever be released or if it's the original version remains to be seen. 

The 2006 DVD release of the unaltered versions kind of a crap release. To his credit - at least George Lucas finally did it. However, it was a transfer from the Laserdisc versions that wasn't formatted correctly so, in essence, the widescreen bars are "burned" into the image and therefore you'll have a nice tiny square in the middle of your TV with bars all around to watch them.

I have no problem with the Special Editions existing, I'm used to them and they don't bother me as much as some fans, but ideally any release of them should at least give fans the option of watching the unaltered versions as well. I think I remember reading that Fox still maintains the distribution rights to the first six films until 2020 or something like that, so that's why Disney's first release of it (with the Darth Vader cover) was just a re-packaging of the 2011 Blu-ray editions. I imagine they'll be smart enough to know that the demand for the unaltered editions on Blu-ray will mean some good money for them in the future. Until then, Harmy's "Despecialized Edition" is well worth it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Fox owns distribution rights to A New Hope period. The other five until 2020. 

So basically we can probably get a unaltered releases of all the films except for the one that was altered the most. :lol:

Well, there's always the CBS/FOX VHS tapes.

18 minutes ago, James Bond said:

So basically we can probably get a unaltered releases of all the films except for the one that was altered the most. :lol:

Well, there's always the CBS/FOX VHS tapes.

Was it altered the most? I would have thought that would have been Jedi. 

Jedi Rocks, the Max Rebo Band

The Sarlaac

Removal of Yub Nub

Celebration theme pre-prequels (No Naboo/Gungan "Weesa free!"), Celebration theme post-prequels

"Nooooooo"

Hayden Force ghost

Maybe you're right. That's all I can think of from Jedi. Although if it's environmental changes instead of additional scenes, I think I might say Empire because of Cloud City. 

But there's no reason Fox/Disney couldn't come to some type of agreement if it makes them both money. 

Edited by luciusfunk