Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

On February 3, 2017 at 10:03 AM, luciusfunk said:

I've made this comparison multiple times. 

Poor comparison. Axl is considered one of, if not the best rock frontman of all-time and Lucas is considered a shitty director. I have never heard a single person call George Lucas a great director or talented. 

30 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Poor comparison. Axl is considered one of, if not the best rock frontman of all-time and Lucas is considered a shitty director. I have never heard a single person call George Lucas a great director or talented. 

By who? Someone on this bloody forum? Most people outside Guns N' Roses' fora would not even have Axl in a top ten!

Star Wars and American Graffiti both highlight abilities, maybe not specific to directing but filmmaking in toto. Star Wars is certainly bigger culturally than Guns N' Roses.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

By who? Someone on this bloody forum? Most people outside Guns N' Roses' fora would not even have Axl in a top ten!

Star Wars and American Graffiti both highlight abilities, maybe not specific to directing but filmmaking in toto. Star Wars is certainly bigger culturally than Guns N' Roses.

Star Wars is highly imaginative as a concept. The films are horrible and I'm a die hard Star Wars fan. A 100 million people outside this forum have purchased GNR albums. Millions are currently going to see the band live. Plenty of people would put Axl in the top ten. Who is your top ten? Liam? Star Wars is bigger than any band culturally. That was a pointless remark. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

16 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Star Wars is highly imaginative as a concept. The films are horrible and I'm a die hard Star Wars fan. A 100 million people outside this forum have purchased GNR albums. Millions are currently going to see the band live. Plenty of people would put Axl in the top ten. Who is your top ten? Liam? Star Wars is bigger than any band culturally. That was a pointless remark. 

I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I cannot agree with this statement!

You do realise that a lot of people do not even buy rock music let alone the music by Guns N' Roses? Country, hip hop, rap, electronic music, etc. have all been at least as big as rock, if not bigger (you'd certainly say that today), and pop is the most popular music by far and always has been. A lot of people however watched Star Wars, a lot of people who listen to rock and not much else, a lot of people who listen to rap and not much else, etc. - a hell of a lot of people! - saw Star Wars.

Do not know where this '100 million' figure derives from, or these 'millions' seeing it live?

Axl Rose is generally loathed outside Guns N' Roses fora. Obviously a Guns N' Roses fan will say ''he is the best'' but this view is biased and obscure to the majority of people. People like Jagger, James Brown, Elvis, Bon Scott, are obviously way ahead of him, in both singing ability and frontmanship.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I cannot agree with this statement!

You do realise that a lot of people do not even buy rock music let alone the music by Guns N' Roses? Country, hip hop, rap, electronic music, etc. have all been at least as big as rock, if not bigger (you'd certainly say that today), and pop is the most popular music by far and always has been. A lot of people however watched Star Wars, a lot of people who listen to rock and not much else, a lot of people who listen to rap and not much else, etc. - a hell of a lot of people! - saw Star Wars.

Do not know where this '100 million' figure derives from, or these 'millions' seeing it live?

Axl Rose is generally loathed outside Guns N' Roses fora. Obviously a Guns N' Roses fan will say ''he is the best'' but this view is biased and obscure to the majority of people. People like Jagger, James Brown, Elvis, Bon Scott, are obviously way ahead of him, in both singing ability and frontmanship.

100 million album sales. Millions of tickets sold for this current tour. You said no one outside the forum and I listed facts about album sales and ticket sales. I've already agreed with you that Star Wars is bigger culturally than any band. Fuck, calm down. Axl is regarded as one of the most talented frontmen ever. Critically and by the general public. That was a fact before these forums. And if you don't accept that then it's ducking beyond strange that you come here any share your thoughts on anything at all. I suspect that the cesspool that this forum can be resonates with your twisted view of reality and makes you feel at home. George Lucas has never been considered a great director. Ever. End of story. I found the comparison poor. Simple as that. That was my original statement. 

1 minute ago, AxlisOld said:

Well there's no accounting for taste I guess. 

Singing is a physical ability, not dissimilar to lifting a weight. Some people can just lift a heavier weight. Axl could lift more.

I've never been impressed with Rose to tell you the truth. In his prime he sounded like he had throat cancer. Now he sounds like Mickey Mouse wheezing for breath, fluffing lines. Listen, this is all subjective. Go on IORNR forum and ask the question, ''Axl or Jagger?'', and they will laugh their head off at the merest thought that Rose can even dream of competing with Sir Mick. Go on an U2 board and switch Bono with Jagger? Same result. (I hate U2 by the way just to show I'm being unbiased).

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never been impressed with Rose to tell you the truth. In his prime he sounded like he had throat cancer. Now he sounds like Mickey Mouse wheezing for breath, fluffing lines. Listen, this is all subjective. Go on IORNR forum and ask the question, ''Axl or Jagger?'', and they will laugh their head off at the merest thought that Rose can even dream of competing with Sir Mick. Go on an U2 board and switch Bono with Jagger? Same result. (I hate U2 by the way just to show I'm being unbiased).

Does anyone know Mick's vocal range?

• Flat, like this: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~~~~~ -- ~~~~~~~~
  • Technically Mick isn't the best singer but he's the best singer for the stones. I'd say his range is fairly limited because you never hear him screaming high notes. I don't know his range but excluding falsetto I doubt its 4 octaves.
  • People who care about Jagger don't know these things; people who know these things don't give a hoot about Mick Jagger.
  • I've never thought of Jagger as a good singer. Perfect for The Stones, though. If he was a great singer, he would have been horrible for the Stones.

https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1622100,1622635

(p.s. I like Jagger, no Jagger no Stones)

1 hour ago, AxlisOld said:

I think Rey is Obi Wan's granddaughter.

I think Rey gave Luke a lightsaber he shouldn't need. I mean Maz got the old lightsaber Luke lost in ESB (Nobody knows how) :question:  But he constructed a new one in ROTJ. Is he going to have 2 lightsaber in Episode VIII?  :P

On the topic of lucas having never been considered a good filmmaker: he actually WAS once considered to be a great director, but that was before people realized even though he's credited as writer and director of starwars, he didn't really do much for it during the actual filming and editing process of the movie. As a matter of fact, he didn't even write the final draft. Some married couple did uncredited rewrites for it and Brian de Palma wrote the opening crawl. 

Lucas was once revered, but then exposed himself as a fraud by having complete creative control over the prequels, and we all know how those turned out.

so yes, while lucas was never really talented as a filmmaker, there was a time when the general public thought he was great and it took everyone decades before they finally woke up and smelled his bullshit.

now, to be fair, I've never seen thx-1138 or american graffiti, so I suppose those may be alright. 

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I think Rey gave Luke a lightsaber he shouldn't need. I mean Maz got the old lightsaber Luke lost in ESB (Nobody knows how) :question:  But he constructed a new one in ROTJ. Is he going to have 2 lightsaber in Episode VIII?  :P

I think he'll use his Obi-Wan lightsaber he made (green) and let Rey use Anakin's, unless she builds her own. I don't see Luke dual-wielding. If she builds her own I say Luke just retires it. A lot of the fan base wants her to build a double-bladed lightsaber or a saberstaff. And I still say Rey is Luke's daughter. 

Early draft had Luke's hand floating through space holding onto the lightsaber. So stupid. 

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

On the topic of lucas having never been considered a good filmmaker: he actually WAS once considered to be a great director, but that was before people realized even though he's credited as writer and director of starwars, he didn't really do much for it during the actual filming and editing process of the movie. As a matter of fact, he didn't even write the final draft. Some married couple did uncredited rewrites for it and Brian de Palma wrote the opening crawl. 

Lucas was once revered, but then exposed himself as a fraud by having complete creative control over the prequels, and we all know how those turned out.

so yes, while lucas was never really talented as a filmmaker, there was a time when the general public thought he was great and it took everyone decades before they finally woke up and smelled his bullshit.

now, to be fair, I've never seen thx-1138 or american graffiti, so I suppose those may be alright. 

Ohh do not go there!!

American Graffiti is a nice film though, a sort of coming of age paean to 1950s - early '60s youth/rock n' roll/cars. It is actually my favourite movie of his. Not a lot of story to it mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I think he'll use his Obi-Wan lightsaber he made (green) and let Rey use Anakin's, unless she builds her own. I don't see Luke dual-wielding. If she builds her own I say Luke just retires it. A lot of the fan base wants her to build a double-bladed lightsaber or a saberstaff. And I still say Rey is Luke's daughter. 

Early draft had Luke's hand floating through space holding onto the lightsaber. So stupid. 

He better use the green ROTJ saber

19 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

THX 1138 is pretty out there, but it's great. 

• Like 1

Went to my local record store today and picked up a 2000 copy of the Special Edition Trilogy and also the last release of the OT pre-special edition (which I already have) still wrapped. I never had the SE trilogy until DVD. I would always get them from the library on the weekends and watch them.

vtrilogybox2000spread.jpg

Star-Wars-1995-VHS.png

Edited by luciusfunk