Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Given the material pretty much as is, this is how I think you could have fixed/tightened the prequels.

Episode 1 - Anakin as a teenager training alongside Obi Wan. Let's see more of their relationship build. We can learn a bit about Anakin's short fuse and thirst for power when he gets Obi Wan out of trouble and receives no credit for it from the Jedi Council. Show some of Anakin's mom and/or Qui Gon through some exposition or flashbacks if necessary at all. The political stuff and Palpatine can still be in the background, but the heart of the story should be Obi Wan and Anakin. Get Padme introduced too, but don't force their relationship.

Episode 2 - This can start more or less how it does. Anakin and Obi Wan assigned to protect Padme, tracking the bounty hunter, and so on. Now Anakin and Padme can start a relationship that builds naturally out of him protecting her or saving her life. Meanwhile, the Jedi Council fears that something is amiss politically. Anakin should also become Vader in this film. Knowing Anakin's dissatisfaction with the council, Palpatine seduces him by offering him the head position of his new council - the Empire. The two of them can get into some shit which leaves Anakin disfigured and requiring the suit. While he's off with Palpatine, Padme enlists Obi Wan to help track the presumed missing and/or dead Anakin. The shit that Vader and Palpatine have caused in the meantime alerts the Council to Palpatine's true intentions.

Episode 3 - Now it's time for shit to get real. Obi Wan and Darth Vader come face to face and Obi Wan finally realizes and accepts the truth that Darth Vader is their missing Anakin. This film can be focused on Vader's rise to power amidst the destruction of the Jedi Council. Obi Wan learns that Padme is pregnant and gets her to safety with the babies. They agree with the remaining Jedi that the babies should be split up so Vader can't sense them. Obi Wan heads off to Tattooine with Luke. Padme surrenders Leia to General Organa but sticks around to watch over her (so when Leia says she remembers her mother's face it's no longer an anachronism - Padme can die off screen later).

Maybe my fan logic isn't perfect, but I think that would create a better overall structure.

Episode 1 - Anakin and Obi Wan

Episode 2 - Anakin and Padme / Turn to the Dark Side

Episode 3- Destruction of the Jedi / Obi Wan and Vader confrontation

Sounds a shit ton better to me. But you're missing Mace Windu's untimely death in the Sarlacc.

• Like 1

On 28/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, James Bond said:

Changing the bit about the suit wouldn't really affect what I've written there except maybe change how it is revealed that Darth Vader is in fact Anakin to Obi Wan.

What I find weird early in ESB is that we found out Vader knows Luke's last name. How come knowing Skywalker was Luke's last name didn't ring a bell? Vader needed the Emperor to tell him Luke was his son?

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

What I find weird early in ESB is that we found out Vader knows Luke's last name. How come knowing Skywalker was Luke's last name didn't ring a bell? Vader needed the Emperor to tell him Luke was his son?

No, he knew he was his son before Palpatine told him. That's why he's searching for him to begin with. "I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

3 hours ago, Padme said:

But then why his answer to the Emperor was "How is that possible"?

Because he wants to use Luke to overthrow the Emperor. He can't let the Emperor know he knows. The new comics (which are canon) actually show Boba Fett tracking down Luke after ANH and he tells Vader his name is Skywalker. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, James Bond said:

Given the material pretty much as is, this is how I think you could have fixed/tightened the prequels.

Episode 1 - Anakin as a teenager training alongside Obi Wan. Let's see more of their relationship build. We can learn a bit about Anakin's short fuse and thirst for power when he gets Obi Wan out of trouble and receives no credit for it from the Jedi Council. Show some of Anakin's mom and/or Qui Gon through some exposition or flashbacks if necessary at all. The political stuff and Palpatine can still be in the background, but the heart of the story should be Obi Wan and Anakin. Get Padme introduced too, but don't force their relationship.

Episode 2 - This can start more or less how it does. Anakin and Obi Wan assigned to protect Padme, tracking the bounty hunter, and so on. Now Anakin and Padme can start a relationship that builds naturally out of him protecting her or saving her life. Meanwhile, the Jedi Council fears that something is amiss politically. Anakin should also become Vader in this film. Knowing Anakin's dissatisfaction with the council, Palpatine seduces him by offering him the head position of his new council - the Empire. The two of them can get into some shit which leaves Anakin disfigured and requiring the suit. While he's off with Palpatine, Padme enlists Obi Wan to help track the presumed missing and/or dead Anakin. The shit that Vader and Palpatine have caused in the meantime alerts the Council to Palpatine's true intentions.

Episode 3 - Now it's time for shit to get real. Obi Wan and Darth Vader come face to face and Obi Wan finally realizes and accepts the truth that Darth Vader is their missing Anakin. This film can be focused on Vader's rise to power amidst the destruction of the Jedi Council. Obi Wan learns that Padme is pregnant and gets her to safety with the babies. They agree with the remaining Jedi that the babies should be split up so Vader can't sense them. Obi Wan heads off to Tattooine with Luke. Padme surrenders Leia to General Organa but sticks around to watch over her (so when Leia says she remembers her mother's face it's no longer an anachronism - Padme can die off screen later).

Maybe my fan logic isn't perfect, but I think that would create a better overall structure.

Episode 1 - Anakin and Obi Wan

Episode 2 - Anakin and Padme / Turn to the Dark Side

Episode 3- Destruction of the Jedi / Obi Wan and Vader confrontation

Would have been so cool. I'd have Vader kill Padme, though. It could be "accidently"... like he couldn't control his rage and power while choking her.

3 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Because he wants to use Luke to overthrow the Emperor. He can't let the Emperor know he knows. The new comics (which are canon) actually show Boba Fett tracking down Luke after ANH and he tells Vader his name is Skywalker. 

That'd make for a cool anthology film I must say.

From all the little facts you know offhand I'd guess you know quite a bit about the EU. I know next to nothing aside from the fact that Disney said they aren't considering any of the EU stuff from before they took over canon. Generally I'm just a fan of the films. Anything you'd recommend in particular as far as the comics or books go?

10 minutes ago, James Bond said:

That'd make for a cool anthology film I must say.

From all the little facts you know offhand I'd guess you know quite a bit about the EU. I know next to nothing aside from the fact that Disney said they aren't considering any of the EU stuff from before they took over canon. Generally I'm just a fan of the films. Anything you'd recommend in particular as far as the comics or books go?

I'm not big into the EU, I never really read any books or comics, I just read a lot of Wookieepedia. 

As far as the new canon after Disney took over, the main Star Wars comic and the Darth Vader comic are pretty good. They're the main ones I followed for a while. The beginning of Star Wars and Darth Vader overlap a bit and we can see Palpatine definitely made the Jedi Temple into his palace. 

• Like 1

On January 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Padme said:

But then why his answer to the Emperor was "How is that possible"?

The line "how is that possible?" was not in the original version of the film. It was added in the 2004 special edition, because George Lucas, in case you didn't know, is a fucking retard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

TFA is 10x more enjoyable

Yeah, I just don't understand how anyone looks at the TFA as an inferior film to any of the prequels.  Sure, not the most original of films, but at least in terms of direction, storyline, dialogue, special effects, and acting performances it's lightyears ahead of the prequels.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I just don't understand how anyone looks at the TFA as an inferior film to any of the prequels.  Sure, not the most original of films, but at least in terms of direction, storyline, dialogue, special effects, and acting performances it's lightyears ahead of the prequels.  

The ONLY thing I think you could argue was better in the prequels was the music.... and I still think VII had better music than II and maybe III

25 minutes ago, downzy said:

Simple.

It is a beat for beat (inferior) remake of the original Star Wars. It is the most unoriginal film ever made which does not claim to be a 'reboot'. It is a phony lazy piece of terrible filming, a corporate hack job phoned in to grab money from the largest denominator.  It is as if the makers sat down and wrote a list of the most successful aspects of the original trilogy and cobbled together the results from that.

Throw in the fact that it is too lazy to even explain its own backstory (i.e. what happened between Jedi and now) leaving a multitude of ponderables, a bad guy about as charismatic and/or threatening as a plank of wood (even the prequels had Maul and Christopher Lee for crying out loud) and you produce one terrible film.

• Like 4