Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Powerage5

From what I got from the trailer is Luke Skywalker has become very bitter, because everything he believed in as a Jedi cost him everything and that's why he disappeared. Now that he's back, he's teaching/training Rey to become something more so she doesn't  make the same mistakes he did, after he defeating the Empire. The ending of trailer gave an indication that Luke is will to do whatever it takes to stop Snoke and Ben Solo even if he is the last Jedi, he doesn't care if the Jedi legacy ends with him.

Can't say I thought the teaser was all that great. It didn't pump me up the way The Force Awakens teaser did and I didn't get the "holy shit" vibe I did from the Rogue One teaser.

It mirrored the teaser of TFA almost to a tee which was lame in my opinion. Problem is it worked for TFA because we were starved for a proper Star Wars movie and it hit on all the nostalgia in the teaser and restored faith that it was going to be good. That didn't work for this though. I was hoping for something different and not a paint by numbers replica of TFA teaser.
- The jump scare at the beginning with Rey was the jump scare at the beginning with Finn.
- Poe seeing his X-Wing explode was the exact same shit as Finn and Rey seeing that ship on Jakku explode.
- Captain Phasma walking towards the camera was the same as Captain Phasma walking towards the camera in the TFA teaser.
- Kylo's broken helmet was the same as Vader's burnt helmet.
- The ships flying across the desert was the exact same type of shot as the X-Wings flying across the water.
- Luke's narration was just like Luke's narration in TFA teaser.
- Another quick shot of the Falcon for the cheap nostalgia pop
- Rey speaking about the light and the dark was the same as Snoke speaking about the light and the dark.

It was the same old same old. Plus Rey swinging her lightsaber on top of the island looked goofy to me. Trying too hard to be epic. The Force Awakens  teaser got me pumped up, the Rogue One teaser had me thinking it would be the best Star Wars movie ever but this one fell flat in my opinion. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dan H. said:

Great post Bono. I felt like I got nothing from the teaser either. Wasn't good, wasn't bad. Seemed a lot less colorful than TFA. I hate that movies desaturate everything now.

I mean it still looks good and I'm still pumped up for it but this dd absolutely nothing to increase my excitement and in fact probably convinced me to temper expectations a bit. I don't know what I was really hoping to see but the I know I didn't expect to think wow this is almost the exact same teaser as TFA but with just different scenes. I'm hoping the first actual trailer will be better. Regardless I'll be there opening night as always. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

As soon as Rey popped up at the beginning in the same fashion as Finn in TFA, I was like "are they really doing this again"? I'm sure the movie will be better than TFA, but the trailer kinda sucked. 

Thing is the jump scare with Finn worked for some reason. This one with Rey almost ruined it for me as it took me right out of it and it doesn't fit well at all with the first half of the teaser. 

2 minutes ago, Słash said:

I honestly wanted to see more of Luke in the teaser 

I think everyone does. 32 years between ROTJ and TFA and he's only on screen for thirty seconds, doesn't say a word. Have to wait two more years for more Luke. 

Luke was always my favorite character of the OT. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luciusfunk said:

I think everyone does. 32 years between ROTJ and TFA and he's only on screen for thirty seconds, doesn't say a word. Have to wait two more years for more Luke. 

Luke was always my favorite character of the OT. 

If I had written the script, I would have made Luke come when Rey was fighting with Driver, then Luke could have disappeared and Rey would have gone to meet him as it shows in the movie. 

I really don't get why these movie makers don't give that much importance to the main old characters, those Characters made these movies a brand. 

44 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Is it just me or are those not B-Wings on the white planet? If they are, they're all shot to shit and missing parts. 

They didn't look like B-Wings to me either, but everyone everywhere is hyping that shot of the B-Wings :shrugs:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Słash said:

If I had written the script, I would have made Luke come when Rey was fighting with Driver, then Luke could have disappeared and Rey would have gone to meet him as it shows in the movie. 

I really don't get why these movie makers don't give that much importance to the main old characters, those Characters made these movies a brand. 

Han was a main character in VII and it seems Luke will be a major one in this

I've got to say, I've watched it a number of times and I don't think that's Luke saying the line "I only know one truth...it's time for the Jedi to end."

In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the new character Benicio Del Toro is playing. The intonation of the voice, especially the last line, sounds like Benicio to me.

3 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I've got to say, I've watched it a number of times and I don't think that's Luke saying the line "I only know one truth...it's time for the Jedi to end."

In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the new character Benicio Del Toro is playing. The intonation of the voice, especially the last line, sounds like Benicio to me.

It is definitely Luke saying the final part of the line

Its hard to tell with the rest since they're covered in vocal fx

21 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

I'm still iffy, myself. First instinct was it's not Luke.