Realistically, How are you expecting Axl to sound?

Realistically - as good as the last couple 2014 shows. There's no reason he can't give us that at the bare minimum. He wasn't perfect but that's what I'd call "passable Axl" in that it was a happy medium between balls to the walls rasp and whatever else he was doing throughout the 2012-2014 period. If he wants to sound like that for the whole tour and it won't totally destroy his voice then I couldn't argue with the man. He's had two years away from the stage so there's no reason he can't be prepared enough to sound at least as good as that.

Hopefully he'll get warmed up enough to 2010 style before we know it. It's not impossible - guys much older than him are still doing it. Brian Johnson turns 69 this year!

• Like 1

My biggest worry has gone back to him not usually sounding great at the beginning of tours. It usually takes him a little while to warm up. Are there any examples where he sounds great at the beginning of a tour? Or is there something consistent between the opening shows.

Vegas 2000/2001 or Rio 2001

Hammerstein 2006

Japan 2009

He didn't sound terrible at those right? Obviously he got better further into 2006, same was the case in 2010, but did he sound pretty good at those beginnings? I'm just wondering if Slash and Duff being back actually ends up making a difference in how he prepares. Like maybe he'll be at "mid-tour" level right from the start just to prove he can do it, but that seems unlikely. This seems almost like an exact repeat of the 2001 opener, with Vegas club then Rio worldwide webcast big reveal.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

On 06/03/2016 at 7:52 AM, nikosgnr said:

It's been 2 years since last time on stage. 2 years to be fully prepared of this. It's a huge thing and Axl will be the leader it has to be.

I was hopping for something like this above. This was the best Axl of the new era. But hell... Will be together after all these years.. Can you realize this?

At the end no one will give a sh@t. Trust me..

Amazing! This is more raspy than the studio version!

19 minutes ago, Todo Poderoso Timão said:

But to what extent can we be sure they're giving real information or just kidding with Axl's stereotype?

I'm guessing its real and Frank's in. It would be shocking if at this point he wasn't. Whether I believe the story that the Steel Panther drummer just HAPPENED to be in that exact drum store when Frank's guy got the call? That I'm not so sure I believe.

• Like 1

On 2016. 03. 05. at 9:40 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

He stands next to Myles with a straight face :lol:

Umm. i'm not the biggest fan of myles, but Axl compared to even on his 2010 self is fucking laughable in the last few years... not in the same league... Axl NEEDS rasp, that's his signature voice.... haalf assed falsetto's are not Axl's signature

I am glad I will get to see what form he is on before/if any European dates are announced. If he is bringing his Z game then I will be spending the Guns ticket fund on a new Audio PC. 

Edited by SoundOfAGun
Audio PC, not audio P. Fucking phone.

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I am glad I will get to see what form he is on before/if any European dates are announced. If he is bringing his Z game then I will be spending the Guns ticket fund on a new Audio P.

The uncertainty sucks. It will be great to see him and Slash together but if he sounds as bad s he usually does these days, that novelty will wear off fast. Another reason why having Izzy and Adler involved would make this so much better. It would definitely offset some of Axl's shortcomings.

Nothing would sway me if he is singing like he has since 2011, even the AFD 5. It would be even worse if all 5 were there with Grandma Rose doing falsetto over all the songs as it would show that none of them give a fuck about the band sounding good, just the paycheck. I am amazed that no one in three years has directly said to Axl "what the fuck is wrong with your voice? ". I know he may have done irreparable damage to his voice and as a singer, I also know how demanding a full set can be on your vocal chords (and I don't think we ever did a show that was over 2 hours long). But if you can't sing the songs anymore, don't fucking sing them. Release some new music and promote it. Or have one last blowout and only do studio work after the shows. There is no need to mangle the majority of AFD for years on end. The 25 year old Axl Rose would have probably hung himself on the spot if he was able to see what he delivered from 2011-14.

The sad thing is, this will be the likely outcome; Slash and Duff joining Axl and whoever else to top up the retirement fund with all the super platinum deluxe mega bumper VIP packages and Axl sounding as he has done for the past few years. Wheeling out a setlist that could have been played 25 years ago. This band loves to flush opportunity down the toilet. I would love to be wrong, I want to see the band that made me pick a guitar and microphone, playing with at least some of the magic they had when I first watched the Paris PPV as a teenager, but it is very hard to be optimistic at this point.

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

Not sure, I think he'll be similar to what we heard most recently, but a little fitter.

My gut says that the reunion tour, won't be much of a tour if he isn't in shape and isn't sounding good (and if he does his super late showings etc) as he'll be picked apart by media and everyone else. Lots of ppl are talking about full stadium tours and albums etc. But personally I wouldn't be suprised if its this handful of gigs and that's that....maybe a summer festival or two in UK/Europe.

Unless he nails it.

17 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Not sure, I think he'll be similar to what we heard most recently, but a little fitter.

My gut says that the reunion tour, won't be much of a tour if he isn't in shape and isn't sounding good (and if he does his super late showings etc) as he'll be picked apart by media and everyone else. Lots of ppl are talking about full stadium tours and albums etc. But personally I wouldn't be suprised if its this handful of gigs and that's that....maybe a summer festival or two in UK/Europe.

Unless he nails it.

You could be very right. That is why I am going to one of these first shows.. Even if Axl sucks there will be enough excitement in the air to make it worth it. We don't need him to be the Axl of old but definitely better than he has been. 

• Like 2