Realistically, How are you expecting Axl to sound?

Hm, I've been wrong about 2014 being bad, and I think he can be even better than that. 

If I ever get to see the trio live together. If Axl (or Slash) isn't "up to par", I'll just pay attention to Duff. I've seen them all apart as in GN'R, VR, Slash and Loaded. I think the most awesome moment was Duff singing and playing Dust N' Bones with Loaded. 

Edited by CheapJon

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Am I the only one who listens to 2009/10 shows and hears how out of breath he was? He was gasping for air. 

He was not match fit. Best I've heard him was the 2006/7 run. 

He was out of breath and gasping for air in the 06/07 run too. Here's You Could Be Mine from 2007: 

Here's You Could Be Mine from 2010:

It's not really even a contest which one's better. Sometimes it feels like people remember the 06-07 tour in a better light than it was. Maybe because of nostalgia or because there's not as much bootleg videos of that time, as there's from 2010. He had rasp, but occasionally he lost it completely and sounded like a whiny Mickey.  Anyway my point is that he was pretty phenomenal in both 06-07 and 09-10. Sometimes he was a little out of breath too. But overall he was great and we're lucky if Axl's anywhere near as great this year as he was back then.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AslatIE said:

I hope he's in key, not running around the stage the whole show and at least sounds like 2010.

But realistically, he's gonna sound like the last shows in 2014.

I really hate DJ's Les Pauls.

I watched this last night and thought he sounded good.  The band on the other hand......

Axl had around 2 years of preparation to show the best of him to the world.Well no one expect 90's Axl. I will be thrilled if he sounds like 2006.  He will surely sound bad sometimes, especially in songs like SCOM or YCBM.But hell, there will be Slash and Axl together and he will give his 100%. Just enjoy the moment and stop complaining.Peace :)

4 hours ago, JaxTeller said:

Axl had around 2 years of preparation to show the best of him to the world.Well no one expect 90's Axl. I will be thrilled if he sounds like 2006.  He will surely sound bad sometimes, especially in songs like SCOM or YCBM.But hell, there will be Slash and Axl together and he will give his 100%. Just enjoy the moment and stop complaining.Peace :)

Yeah that's my biggest worry. Even at his best over the past 15 years those are 2 songs he can still be pretty weak on. YCBM especially has been a struggle since 06/07.

Unprepared. But not really relevant. He'll improve as the tour progresses, with Slash and Duff hopefully influencing him positively with moral and I think he'll want to show them he still got it.

But the first shows of the tour usually don't sound as good as the last shows or middle of the tour shows for Axl as a singer. Think he's lazy.

And I don't really care. I just want to see and hear them again. I won't overlook horrid vocals meaning I'll know if it's not good, but even when Axl is not having a great night it still sounds acceptable to me usually. The 2014 shows were acceptable.

It would be nice though to have 2010 or 2006 vocals at some point, but we'll see. He's 54 years old now. It will be interesting to hear how he sounds like.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, CheapJon said:

Hm, I've been wrong about 2014 being bad, and I think he can be even better than that. 

If I ever get to see the trio live together. If Axl (or Slash) isn't "up to par", I'll just pay attention to Duff. I've seen them all apart as in GN'R, VR, Slash and Loaded. I think the most awesome moment was Duff singing and playing Dust N' Bones with Loaded. 

While that sounds awesome Duff singing Dust & Bones, I can tell that you're not a guitar player and that you relate more to vocals. Slash playing Sweet Child O Mine & Paradise City last year with Myles Kennedy was a religious experience and brought me closer to God & Jesus. Was an amazing time and those GNR songs played by the master himself is what Donald Trump would call "Yuuuuuge!"

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Am I the only one who listens to 2009/10 shows and hears how out of breath he was? He was gasping for air. 

He was not match fit. Best I've heard him was the 2006/7 run. 

No, I don't get all the fuss about 09/10 either because yeah that's where the always gasping thing crept into the act.

06/07 for sure.

On 2/15/2016 at 9:38 AM, DanGnRose said:

Axl actually sounds pretty good here, but I've really got to say how FUCKING AWFUL DJ Ashba was (in Guns N Roses, and as a guitarist).

I still don't understand why Axl never lost his shit at him, he can't play the material for shit and what's worse seemed to act very cavalier about how bad he was sucking.

Lets just hope he's been hanging out with Duff down the Gym a little to get into some decent shape. Especially if he insists on doing 3 hour shows - lets be honest we'd be happy with a little over 2 hours if it helped the voice.

It is going to be the biggest issue the reunion has - its going to be BIG news, everyone will cover it in the music press and possibly some regular press as well. Get it wrong out of the gate and its game over. We know Slash & Duff can still play well but Axl is 54 years old and Guns songs are not easy songs to sing. He hasn't looked in the best shape in the past few years we've seen him. The only chance is he gets in serious shape and puts in some decent amount of practice - which is un-axl like. I can't see it being amazing.

1 hour ago, Carlycosmos said:

I want him to be like this:

Without the hat, without the glasses and singing well.
- maybe a bit less weight
Not very hard!

mickey always takes over on the "come the morning light now baby" 4:17

still not as bad as during the south america tour 

confused mickey 4:08.. it's like the fans knew that this is the part that he always fucks up let's throw some shit at him

Edited by spliff
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Lets just hope he's been hanging out with Duff down the Gym a little to get into some decent shape. Especially if he insists on doing 3 hour shows - lets be honest we'd be happy with a little over 2 hours if it helped the voice.

It is going to be the biggest issue the reunion has - its going to be BIG news, everyone will cover it in the music press and possibly some regular press as well. Get it wrong out of the gate and its game over. We know Slash & Duff can still play well but Axl is 54 years old and Guns songs are not easy songs to sing. He hasn't looked in the best shape in the past few years we've seen him. The only chance is he gets in serious shape and puts in some decent amount of practice - which is un-axl like. I can't see it being amazing.

David Lee Roth got in amazing shape when he rejoined Van Halen in 2007, and he was the last person at that point I would have expected to be shirtless and rocking abs - Dave was 53 at that point

Edited by TheSeeker

Just now, TheSeeker said:

David Lee Roth got in amazing shape when he rejoined Van Halen in 2007, and he was the last person at that point I would have expected to be shirtless and rocking abs

Rocking abs and a shitty girly mic attached to his face. Vocally there were no vocals. David Lee Roth shirtless is not ok.