Should the band perform Velvet Revolver songs?

Should the band perform Velvet Revolver songs?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If you are going to equal the band with the existence of the partnership agreement between Slash, Duff and Axl, and argue that the band ended when the partnership agreement was terminated, then you have to be internally consistent and accept that the band came to be first when that partnership agreement was entered. You can't have it both ways.

Anyway, I find that argumentation peculiar to say the least. No one really equates a band with its legal documentation. A band is a group of musicians playing together under the same name. It is that simple. If, on the other hand, I should consider the scenario where the band's existence relies upon its legal documentation (which I don't and I find silly), then I would argue that the partnership agreement isn't the only legal documentation that defines Guns N' Roses as a legal entity, you also have trademark and brand name licenses, and, if I am not entirely mistaken, Axl owned the band name throughout this process. There was not a single point in time where all legal documents seized to be and the name was up for grab by third parties. There is a continuity in this, a continuity in GN'R being a legal entity.

But again, this is an irrelevant technicality. Only people reaching for arguments would say that "nuGN'R" isn't Guns N' Roses because one agreement that defined the band as a business ended and another was drawn up. One is left to ponder what motivates people to look for such esoteric arguments to make a separation between the version of GN'R they love and the version of GN'R they dislike. Are you embarrased over what has happened with GN'R? Do you take it personally? Are your friends mocking you for liking GN'R so you have to say, "I only like the real GN'R, the one that ended when the business partnership agreement between Duff, Slash and Axl was terminated leaving the band that is playing now as an fake", or something like that. I don't get it. Nothing takes away from the glory of GN'R in its heyday. You can have whatever feelings you wil about nuGN'R, it doesn't tarnish what happened in the 1980s. It is possible to only like parts of GN'R history, you don't have to design weird arguments to make GN'R "pure". Just say, "I like GN'R back in the 90s, I don't like GN'R since then". It isn't hard.

Tl;dr

I won't waste my time anymore. Believe any bullshit you want, I don't care. Anyway, you won't change history.

• Like 1