07/16/16 - Toronto, ON - Rogers Centre ~ PRE-PARTY INFO UPDATED IN OP!!! ~

downzy

8 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

I think that number is way inflated, my section which was a big section knew alot of the songs and danced and sang to them

Agreed many people in my section was singing along to Coma, DTJ, Better, etc.

The only songs that buzz killed the crowd was This I Love and Sorry.

10 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

This is my favorite comment that comes up again and again after people get out of a show. That periscopes don't do them justice. I can completely believe it and it makes me happy that they are even better than how great they appear on the periscopes.

yeah but periscope is better than nothing! of course it's best to see them live but few if any of us can afford to see every concert. i thank everyone who has done the periscoping for us who can't be there. also it feeds the need TO see them when we can. i saw them in vegas but after seeing the great shows there have been live online i spent money on tickets i probably should not have but seeing them getting better and better i just have to see them again! and i will still watch them on periscope :headbang:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The Sorry/Better combo needs to go. One of them is fine, but not both in a row. It's a shame that Sorry technically replaced My Michelle. It should swap with Better and then swap Michelle with Think About You or something. The crowd absolutely loved This I Love though. I look at it like Axl's solo spot since it gives him time to shine. Chinese is fine because it's sandwiched between the classics and is aggressive enough that it fits in.

Initially I was disappointed with Patience over Don't Cry (I was so eager to hear Slash play that solo in person), but Axl nailed the outro and the crowd got off on it big time so I was satisfied.

The rest of the set was no surprise, but it's a very satisfying set list in person. Just enough of everything! Some guy started freaking out when Coma started - "Oh my God! They're playing fucking Coma? Who would've thought that would happen!" :lol:

All that told me is, like we already knew, some people don't follow every single show so the set isn't as stale as it might seem. Take away The Seeker (which I actually liked in person) and tighten up the CD and alternative rotations and you've got a bad ass list.

More comments later, I'm still barely awake. :lol:

Think About You would be great. js! :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, "Sorry" is a down tempo song, but GnR had a few of these already in the Illusions era shows. I don't understand why this particular song is the "mood killer" of the show, except that the great majority of the crowd isn't familiar with it.

I wonder if the people that complain about "Sorry" being a mood killer would say the same if they played "Dust in the wind" for example, which I'm sure the crowds back then never had heard before.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zint said:

You didn't?, k, have a nice day.

That was in response to the people who want to pass 'Sorry' as a bad boring song from CD that should be removed from the setlist.

That is my whole point. 

Ive been a fan of this band since the 90s and I never stepped down when most so called fans left because Slash, Duff and co. weren't there. So I know my shit and I know why they are able to fill stadiums now and what the average casual fan want to hear when they go to a show, but the show is two hours long (sometimes more) and the setlist has most of the "hits" for the wannabe fans, so I don't see how it is wrong to have a couple songs not so known for the general audience when those people should know that GNR are still around because of the support of fans like me and other die hards.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smiley_1979_007 said:

wow 
hehe i found the booming guns at the start funny, also sometimes the guns changed to uzi and like an automatic, i kid you not.
The line up at gate 5 wow wtf really how did that happen anywho got in just as BIlly Talent was playing Falling leaves (which is the only song of thiers i know so i was happy)
GNR was awesome truly slash is wow, i did not know much about the other guitarist Fortus, but then i started listening to his solos and hey wow too. (slash is slash though eh)
the mix was good could hear the piano when needed.
totallly loved estranged, all the old stuff of the CD album i guess i liked CD and Sorry (cause of the solo)
tried to meet guys at loose moose but it was super corwded at 6pm and i could not know who was who. only managed to meet one person in my row with his family from this forum.
oh my phone died lol

Agreed, awesome show -- but gate 5 was absolute madness. Husband and I arrived around 8:50, naively thinking that it would be a pretty quick process to get in. After standing around for 20 minutes in a line that wasn't moving and watching 9:25 creep ever closer, I ran over to gate 6 and managed to find a short line at the very far side to ease our way into. No idea why the Rogers Centre didn't have a few staff with loudspeakers telling everyone where to line up. I'm sure some of the folks we left behind at gate 5 missed at least the first few songs, even with Guns starting late around 9:50 (probably to accommodate all the overflow outside).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, "Sorry" is a down tempo song, but GnR had a few of these already in the Illusions era shows. I don't understand why this particular song is the "mood killer" of the show, except that the great majority of the crowd isn't familiar with it.

I wonder if the people that complain about "Sorry" being a mood killer would say the same if they played "Dust in the wind" for example, which I'm sure the crowds back then never had heard before.

i think it's more that people who are coming to see a "reunion" show expect more of the older GN'R songs. also they don't want as many down tempo songs, most are at a GN'R concert to have fun and faster songs are more conducive to that for most people. i would die happy being able to hear "Dust In The Wind" but idk if that's everyone's cup of tea. i could listen to almost their whole catalogue if they'd play it to be honest! :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That was in response to the people who want to pass 'Sorry' as a bad boring song from CD that should be removed from the setlist.

That is my whole point. 

Ive been a fan of this band since the 90s and I never stepped down when most so called fans left because Slash, Duff and co. weren't there. So I know my shit and I know why they are able to fill stadiums now and what the average casual fan want to hear when they go to a show, but the show is two hours long (sometimes more) and the setlist has most of the "hits" for the wannabe fans, so I don't see how it is wrong to have a couple songs not so known for the general audience when those people should know that GNR are still around because of the support of fans like me and other die hards.

People arent wannabe fans for not liking nugnr

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drakestar said:

Okay, got a few hours of sleep.

We had a fabulous day at Centre Island. Yes we did go to the Indian festival. I won't review that.

We got to Toronto right at 2, made great time from London, parked at headed to merch and will call. No line up at merch at all, so glad we went there first. Picked up two shirts and the litho (#58) for $155 I think. Guarded the litho with my life. I think it should come in a tube...it is a piece of paper for $50. We went to the other tables to see if someone had a lower number lite, but no dice. Glad we could go back to the car and ditch the stuff. I was actually disappointed that the truck wasn't there. Really wanted to see that.

I would like the official count. Getting in at gate 5 was fucked. It took us over an hour. The lady in front of my wife in the "purse line" was denied entry. She was completely hammered. I don't feel bad for her at all. We totally missed Billy Talent. Not heartbroken, but usually was like to see at least one of the openers song so we can say we saw them.

Once inside the crowd was scary and my main concern was protecting my daughter. People were literally pushed up against each other, I don't like feeling people breathing on me. I can see how people get injured. I could feel the crowd pulsing like a snake crushing it's kill. There were way to many out of hand drunk people in and around 113.

Met user Smiley (as he noted above), nice guy, looked excited. It was my 10th show, so I've felt the excitement before! So glad we were not on the floor. We needed our protected seat numbers!

The sound was horrible when Axl was speaking and his mic seemed to cut out a few times from where we were.  Might have been our location.

Out to get me was definitely a highlight as well as my fav Rocket Queen. Really liked the intro to better. Axl really hit some big sustained notes last night, unfortunatly the camera seem to be focus to much on Slash when this happened. I really like the CD songs and I would disagree with those that say the crowd hates them.

I really like Melissa.  She really adds to the backing of the higher octaves. I hate those stupid looking headphone though. Damn she is cute.

It was rough getting out of there as well. We waited until security made us leave. The drive home was tiring.

Article from the my local paper which is a couple hours away:

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/07/17/guns-n-roses-rock-toronto-with-reunion-gig

Go see this band!

Great meeting you and the family Drakestar. Actually part of the reason why i left at PC is casue i knew the getting out would be insiane so i went up and watched it all at the curtian and then rushed to my parking lot. I cant imagine how crazy getting out was like.

The mix was not too bad actually, yes wehn AXl was talking it was kinda bad but the sound by and large was good. being a mix engg myself i sat for a few numbers closed my eyes so as to identify if i could hear each of the instruments and i could, so i would say kudos to the sound guy on the board. 
i kinda feel sorry for the sound guy i mean he has to leave so much of head room casue like everyone sings all the songs and so he has to push the vocals and guitars abvoe it. 
God i hate those guns lol but i think i got my best video when the girls behind recoeded it for me on my phone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think it's more that people who are coming to see a "reunion" show expect more of the older GN'R songs. also they don't want as many down tempo songs, most are at a GN'R concert to have fun and faster songs are more conducive to that for most people. i would die happy being able to hear "Dust In The Wind" but idk if that's everyone's cup of tea. i could listen to almost their whole catalogue if they'd play it to be honest! :)

Yes, I understand this and to be honest I find the down tempo Wish You Were Here-Layla-November Rain-KOHD sequence a little boring. What I don't get is why "Sorry", a guitar driven blues song, is considered the odd one out in the setlist. And I'm not referring so much to the majority who want to hear old songs they're familiar with, but to fans here in the forum who know "Sorry".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zint said:

Hence, buzzkill

Honest truth? Probably 50,000 of the 55,000 (or whatever the numbers were last night) were there because Slash and Duff were back with Axl. They wanted to have a few beers and listen to Slash wail on some classic GnR the way it was meant to be wailed on. They simply do not give a flying fuck about Chi Dem songs. The intense surge of energy at the start of the show (and for the other recognizable tunes) dissipated for Chi Dem songs.

I gotta say though, I saw a lot of people sit down, start texting, go for a pee break etc. during Coma, so.... yeah.
I'd say a good chunk of the people were there for Slash, Axl and Duff on the popular songs they recall from back in the day.

How someone could sit down or lose interest during Coma is beyond me.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, starbolt said:

Agreed, awesome show -- but gate 5 was absolute madness. Husband and I arrived around 8:50, naively thinking that it would be a pretty quick process to get in. After standing around for 20 minutes in a line that wasn't moving and watching 9:25 creep ever closer, I ran over to gate 6 and managed to find a short line at the very far side to ease our way into. No idea why the Rogers Centre didn't have a few staff with loudspeakers telling everyone where to line up. I'm sure some of the folks we left behind at gate 5 missed at least the first few songs, even with Guns starting late around 9:50 (probably to accommodate all the overflow outside).

actually when i was in line it was all the way up to the aquarium and then some rogers tsaff said ok look you can go in from any gate and the ones at 14 etc are low so if you guys want you can move there and tahts how a lot of us at that time got int

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I understand this and to be honest I find the down tempo Wish You Were Here-Layla-November Rain-KOHD sequence a little boring. What I don't get is why "Sorry", a guitar driven blues song, is considered the odd one out in the setlist. And I'm not referring so much to the majority who want to hear old songs they're familiar with, but to fans here in the forum who know "Sorry".

that i don't know. in watching w/people from here they are pretty much very happy it's back. i actually am starting to like "Better" more and more and i never cared much for it before. "Sorry" is a good song but maybe not in the right place in the set? :question:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smiley_1979_007 said:

actually when i was in line it was all the way up to the aquarium and then some rogers tsaff said ok look you can go in from any gate and the ones at 14 etc are low so if you guys want you can move there and tahts how a lot of us at that time got int

Cool. They weren't doing that later in the night, that's for sure! Some women in line told me they had tried to get in at another gate and were instructed to line up at the gate listed on their ticket.