Fortus and Izzy

On 4.4.2016 at 7:29 AM, Billsfan said:

Fortus is awesome. izzy is a legend.

Izzy not being there full time I might put on the band based on his tweets. But Izzy not being there at all is on Izzy.

Or not. We don't know. If they didn't even offer, if it was not enough money, if he just didn't want to commit to it full time. We'll eventually know. I still think there's a chance he'll help with writing if he's not hurt by the fact it's clearly a 3 way partnership.

• Like 1

On April 5, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Rovim said:

Or not. We don't know. If they didn't even offer, if it was not enough money, if he just didn't want to commit to it full time. We'll eventually know. I still think there's a chance he'll help with writing if he's not hurt by the fact it's clearly a 3 way partnership.

That's just it. I think he's more upset that it's a 3 way partnership. If it's over money he's just being selfish 

Fortus > Gilby

I love Fortus but not like I love Izzy.  If GNR puts out a new song, not to be a dick, but I want to hear Izzy and Slash in the left and right channel. At least on his songs... I don't want a CD too many cooks in the kitchen vibe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, War2k14 said:

Fortus > Gilby

Gilby > Fortus  

No one could have stepped in and filled Izzy's shoes like he did.. Just listen to the live shows from that era.  He played the rhythms perfectly and stayed far more true to the original songs in tone and style. As fun as last weekend was, the band sounded much better in 92 and 93.. Gilby also had some kick ass backing vocals.. They were very prominent after they ditched the 92 circus for the Skin N' Bones tour.. Especially during the Acoustic Set.. Gilby is an all time great Gunner.. That is just how I see it.

But I agree that if they record a new song I want to hear Slash/Izzy.. That chemistry has arguably never been matched by hard rock band ever.  It is something I need to see and hear again in my lifetime.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

Really? Bucket, a one trick shred poney? he's best known among his fans for those very emotional and slow songs, that range from industrial balads and weird beep noises to some acoustic tracks with flamenco touches and Finck a shredder? You nuts? The man can't shred a tomato, his playing has nothing to do with speed. I never gave too much a chance to BBF's stuff so I can't say what his playing is all about. BBF and BH are recognized as shredders tho.

35 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Gilby > Fortus  

No one could have stepped in and filled Izzy's shows like he did.. Just listen to the live shows from that era.  He played the rhythms perfectly and stayed far more true to the original songs in tone and style. As fun as last weekend was, they band sounded much better in 92 and 93.. Gilby also had some kick ass backing vocals.. They were very prominent after they ditched the 92 circus for the Skin N' Bones tour.. Especially during the Acoustic Set.. Gilby is an all time great Gunner.. That is just how I see it.

But I agree that if they record a new song I want to hear Slash/Izzy.. That chemistry has arguably never been matched by hard rock band ever.  It is something I need to see and hear again in my lifetime.

As far as meshing with the band's original sound your are right.   This is a whole new sound that Axl is going for.  I am listening to the whole show all the way through now and the songs,while it is fun to hear Slash on lead, are just way too fast.  The skin and bones tour was amazing. 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Gilby > Fortus

Agreed.

Pawnshop Guitars is a better album than anything Fortus has ever written and recorded in his entire professional career.  That said, I will add that Fortus being the rhythm guitarist doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  It doesn't hurt, you know?  He's a great guitarist and a respectable professional, not like Frank Ferrer who is a mediocre musician who butchers classic Gn'R songs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Agreed.

Pawnshop Guitars is a better album than anything Fortus has ever written and recorded in his entire professional career.  That said, I will add that Fortus being the rhythm guitarist doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  It doesn't hurt, you know?  He's a great guitarist and a respectable professional, not like Frank Ferrer who is a mediocre musician who butchers classic Gn'R songs.

i am afraid that the first SDB recording will be a tad painful to listen to -- unless fortus is mimicking izzys style

(which, by the way he moves his hands, he is apparently not)

about being a respectable professional, i agree with you

thats exactly what fortus seems to be

izzy, on the other hand, is a fucking rocker

On 4/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, BillyMac said:

Like so many, for nostalgia purposes, I truly wish Izzy was back also. I love Izzy's vibe, the cool Stonesy, blues, feel to his playing, and he is just the epitome of cool! But one thing that is very apparent, is that most fans aren't musicians themselves, and don't understand different talents of guitar players. I myself have played for over 30 years and appreciate many different styles of guitar players. Which brings me to Fortus, he is an absolute killer guitar player, and unfortunately the nostalgia blinds people from that fact. He is hands down the 2nd best guitar player that has ever been in GNR next to Slash! He is a master of many many styles of playing, where as Buckethead, Finck, and Bumblefoot were one trick shred ponies and played with no dynamics. It's no secret Slash wanted Fortus in his own band at one point. So as much as we all love Izzy and the classic 5, just strictly from a playing standpoint, Fortus is a better guitar player than Izzy and the potential is endless for the Slash/Fortus combo! The thing that will always be sorely missed and irreplacable with Izzy is his songwriting skills. Just my .02 cents...

Nostalgia has nothing to do with wanting Izzy back. I want izzy back for musical reasons, for rock n roll reasons. 

• Like 2

Say what you want but it seems a bit weird that Guns N Roses kicked the most ass when it was Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

Take a version of one of the AFD or Lies songs as performed by those guys and then present one of the same number by a later line up that kicks as much ass.

9 hours ago, War2k14 said:

As far as meshing with the band's original sound your are right.   This is a whole new sound that Axl is going for.  I am listening to the whole show all the way through now and the songs,while it is fun to hear Slash on lead, are just way too fast.  The skin and bones tour was amazing. 

I was kind of hoping he would give up on that new sound at this point :/  I agree 100% on the songs being too fast too. Hopefully they take it down a notch and find their groove.. This could only help Axl and Slash's solos.. During Rocket Queen for example Slash keeps trying to get in a groove and jam out but it's just too fast and doesn't sound good. Not to mention Ferrer tries to have a drum solo in the middle of it.. That has got to be distracting..

9 hours ago, War2k14 said:

Rocket Queen has got to be the worst, holy crap. 

Yeah man from beginning to end.. That was the song I was looking forward to seeing Axl, Slash and Duff play again the most. Slash's band sounds more like Guns N' Roses than Guns N' Roses do on that one. They actually nail it.. I figured it would l be boner time throwing Axl and Duff on it.. Not so much..

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Nostalgia has nothing to do with wanting Izzy back. I want izzy back for musical reasons, for rock n roll reasons. 

Yup.. I just want it to sound like the the Greatest rock n' roll band in the world again.. Doesn't even have to be Izzy... Someone with a little less of an lead guitar ego that doesn't mind going back to more of a classic sound.

On 3/4/2016 at 3:56 PM, theconspirator said:

I think Izzy probably just doesn't care or practice much anymore. I assume he still plays a lot of acoustic stuff since he posted those videos, but I doubt he's playing electric everyday (and those are two very different instruments, I don't care what anybody says).

Also, I know Slash wanted Fortus but for which band and what year? The Conspirators?

The man has recorded like 11 albums since he left the band... I think is pretty obvious he plays every day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebones said:

Besides the fack we know nothing about Izzy and this GNR reunion, Izzy is part of GNR sound. Fortus is a great player, we know that, but I can't imagine him going to the studio saying "Ey guys, I wrote this lets make a song".

If this lineup records, I hope Slash just goes all the guitars like he did on the last Conspirators album.

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

If this lineup records, I hope Slash just goes all the guitars like he did on the last Conspirators album.

Jesus dude...Fortus is a good player, damn.  I appreciate you want Izzy back, I do too...but neither of us have no idea why he isn't back and knocking Fortus just bc he's in Izzys place isn't necessary.  

Maybe you think Fortus sucks..then ok, you have a right to that opinion for sure.  I just get the feeling you are gonna blast anything that isn't the Appetite 5 on general principle, which of course you have a right to do as well....

With regards to new material they will miss Izzys writing abilities for sure if he isn't involved in anything new they may cook up.

21 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Maybe you think Fortus sucks..then ok, you have a right to that opinion for sure.  I just get the feeling you are gonna blast anything that isn't the Appetite 5 on general principle, which of course you have a right to do as well....

With regards to new material they will miss Izzys writing abilities for sure if he isn't involved in anything new they may cook up.

I have no idea what the circumstances are about Izzy.. I personally don't think it was ever on the table to invite him back but that is another story.

I would love the Appetite Line Up back but I'm not hating on anyone that isn't in it for the hell of it.  Fortus is prob a great player but I don't think he fit's the Guns N' Roses sound. I don't like his tone and almost industrial effects. He is too loud in the mix. I don't like the way he alters and ruins perfect songs like Rocket Queen by trying to show off his abilities instead of staying true to the songs. I don't particularly think his and Slash's styles mesh very well. He is a lead guitarist.. 

The guitar work on Slash's last album was phenomenal.. Throw Axl and Duff on that and you would have something great.  Something that sounds like Chinese Democracy? Not so much..

I totally get that it may be impossible to get that classic band back but anyone except Axl that detracts from the music is fair game for criticism.. There are plenty of players out there that aren't Steven or Izzy that could make this thing sound better.

It is what it is though. Slash and Duff joining NuGnR. It is NuGnR with a bad ass lead guitarist.

Edited by Tom-Ass