Axl and the lack of new material

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You can put out a different album and stick to the same, or a similar style. You do not have to inherently put out the same album. Is Toys in the Attic the same album as Rocks? I would say no, yet broadly the two have similar styles, hard rock with a ballad apiece - Rocks being heavier, Toys more tuneful. And both are considered great, certified 'classics' - and sold well. I would say Highway to Hell is exactly the same as Powerage stylistically, balls to the wall sleazy hard rock, yet it is a different set of tunes with different riffs - again, both 'classics' and Highway sold bucketloads.

Bad is somewhat similar to Thriller, Master of Puppets as Ride the Lightning, A Day At The Races as A Night At the Opera yet all are different albums and fans appreciated the continuity of approach.

But they lose something artistically. I'm not saying you can't, Aero DC did it. But AFD has a clarity of realness that makes it a greater record. There's a positive to the way GNR did it. Aero DC it all blurs into one. GNR have records in specific eras and tell a story. That's their thing, that's what happened. It's different not better. GNR haven't compromised much. There's no overt effort to please the industry or fans. A Bud commercial doesn't invalidate that. 

Maybe Axl or whoever is being too precocious with it, basically all Slash and Izzy solo albums with Axl input could be GNR albums. 

But from AFD on they have developed lyrically and thematically, maybe more than a lot of bands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

But they lose something artistically. I'm not saying you can't, Aero DC did it. But AFD has a clarity of realness that makes it a greater record. There's a positive to the way GNR did it. Aero DC it all blurs into one. GNR have records in specific eras and tell a story. That's their thing, that's what happened. It's different not better. GNR haven't compromised much. There's no overt effort to please the industry or fans. A Bud commercial doesn't invalidate that. 

Maybe Axl or whoever is being too precocious with it, basically all Slash and Izzy solo albums with Axl input could be GNR albums. 

But from AFD on they have developed lyrically and thematically, maybe more than a lot of bands. 

Well I rate Powerage and Highway higher than that. I'm glad we got both. I would broadly rate Powerage, Highway, Toys and Rocks in the same category of quality and excellence as Appetite, although I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan so I'm trying to be objective there.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well I rate Powerage and Highway higher than that. I'm glad we got both. I would broadly rate Powerage, Highway, Toys and Rocks in the same category of quality and excellence as Appetite, although I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan so I'm trying to be objective there.

Again AFD has more impact to me. It's a whole era, whereas I'm not entirely sure how they are different. Highway seems like the real deal, AFD expresses what it needed and got out. Another one is unnecessary. Okay DC didn't grow as sharply, it's more organic and that is great. But I'm saying that AFD's singular statement is as effective and maybe more powerful. It's hard for me to appraise Aero albums because I wasn't there, but the transition from AFD to UYI felt right. There must have been so much pressure to repeat AFD quickly from Geffen but they made the record they wanted. Isn't that great? To imagine GNR without UYI is impossibe. But I totally get the creative cul de sac they ran into and failed to 3 point turn out of, leaving Axl to paralell park for decade. But paralell parked in a cul de sac with too many piercings is still something new to rap about. 

Edited by wasted
Axlian slip
  • Like 2

I think Guns is a piecemeal band. From the catalog to the players, it has always come in sets. To recreate AFD really neglects the legacy of being a band with a large scope.

Recreating AFD seems disingenuous. Neil Young's done it his whole career but this is Guns N Roses. Bombastic sounds coming from a man that swims with dolphins and creates movie scenes to end November Rain. Not the acoustic Canadian soft rocker that trumpeteered flower power.

We need diversity. Have Izzy write a Gimme Shelter and litter it with Pitman's legendary Subbass. 2017 is the year of inclusion. Neil would be proud.

Aerosmith and ACDC taught the kids how to do it but I don't want to run the family business and neither does Axl.

I think the next record has to have diversity because that is the standard they set. It needs anger, sweetness, cries of desperation and heavy bridges. Throw in a piano and flamenco guitar and we're in business. Maybe  even a talkbox for old times sake.

I could see it more likely being Slash and Duff laying down their parts on CD2. Maybe under a new banner though. Or I could see starting from scratch and going for a more organic sound. But I think you'd need Izzy for that unless you want 9 Right next door to hell's and 3 estranged's.  

I'm thinking CD2 is called Melting Pot and it's a mix mash of old and new. The 2017 version of Lies. Only a lot more discreet and intertwined like a traditional 12 song album.

Let Axl be grandiose, I love it.

Let Slash do his thing like no one else can.

Throw Duff a bone and give him a couple Why do you look at me when you hate me's. But keep slapping the bass.

Ask Mr. tunesmith Izzy to write a Jump in Now and you've got yourself a good time and a lead single.

11 minutes ago, Sprite said:

Neil Young's done it his whole career but this is Guns N Roses. Bombastic sounds coming from a man that swims with dolphins and creates movie scenes to end November Rain. Not the acoustic Canadian soft rocker that trumpeteered flower power.

I beg your pardon? Is this Neil Young as in the same artist who pissed off his fan base by genre bending in the 1980s?

10 hours ago, Sprite said:

I think Guns is a piecemeal band. From the catalog to the players, it has always come in sets. To recreate AFD really neglects the legacy of being a band with a large scope.

Recreating AFD seems disingenuous. Neil Young's done it his whole career but this is Guns N Roses. Bombastic sounds coming from a man that swims with dolphins and creates movie scenes to end November Rain. Not the acoustic Canadian soft rocker that trumpeteered flower power.

We need diversity. Have Izzy write a Gimme Shelter and litter it with Pitman's legendary Subbass. 2017 is the year of inclusion. Neil would be proud.

Aerosmith and ACDC taught the kids how to do it but I don't want to run the family business and neither does Axl.

I think the next record has to have diversity because that is the standard they set. It needs anger, sweetness, cries of desperation and heavy bridges. Throw in a piano and flamenco guitar and we're in business. Maybe  even a talkbox for old times sake.

I could see it more likely being Slash and Duff laying down their parts on CD2. Maybe under a new banner though. Or I could see starting from scratch and going for a more organic sound. But I think you'd need Izzy for that unless you want 9 Right next door to hell's and 3 estranged's.  

I'm thinking CD2 is called Melting Pot and it's a mix mash of old and new. The 2017 version of Lies. Only a lot more discreet and intertwined like a traditional 12 song album.

Let Axl be grandiose, I love it.

Let Slash do his thing like no one else can.

Throw Duff a bone and give him a couple Why do you look at me when you hate me's. But keep slapping the bass.

Ask Mr. tunesmith Izzy to write a Jump in Now and you've got yourself a good time and a lead single.

There's always been an 80s event movie, high concept to GNR albums. 

So GNR is Axl working on a project that expresses what they are feeling at the time as a band. The title of the album and cover and themes and lyrics are always very important. It's never just another spin of the same wheel. 

Why it takes a little longer in my opinion. Something new to say doesn't happen at the drop of a hat. Like someone said DC are always saying the same thing, which is cool too. Tyler and Diamond are generally singing about their dicks and chicks, it's an ongoing maintenance. Again no bad thing thing, just turn on the tap. But when each time you go I don't feel the same anymore, how do you just do a quick album and hit the road?

• Like 1

I hope the next batch Izzy writes he donates to the next GNR album. It maybe only be one track he plays on like Ghost. 

If they take in the whole catalog and do something new they can't fail. There would songs with certain people drooling over because it was written in 89 and then 96-97 and CD era songs. Then new stuff. Lots of different styles but congealed by this current line up. 

• Like 1

Why should Izzy donate his songs to GNR? The genius needs to be treated with the utmost respect by the 'three' before he even thinks about doing that. Let them fill the album with their own songs...the masses will buy it anyway and drool over the unrequited love ballads and the rocking, but certainly not rolling Slash material. 

32 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Why should Izzy donate his songs to GNR? The genius needs to be treated with the utmost respect by the 'three' before he even thinks about doing that. Let them fill the album with their own songs...the masses will buy it anyway and drool over the unrequited love ballads and the rocking, but certainly not rolling Slash material. 

He already donated Down By The Ocean. Just needs 4 to 5 more tunes. It's for a good cause.

Yeah, fuckin' hell Axl, get your finger out, it's been a month already, Buckethead would've released 32 different albums of him playing 80 different styles of music with unique hand-drawn artwork for the first 100,000 units by now :lol:  Personalised with his spunk.

• Like 3

Technically speaking, They can just tour for 2 years without releasing anything or even many interviews if at all.

They can release an album years from now after taking a break from touring when the demand has been met and they've toured everywhere.

Now the demand is high for Gn'R live shows cause many people are nostalgic. I hope there is at least a broad strokes plan to record an album together when they're off the road.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Hence "donate"...I'm very intelligent. Or drunk idontknowd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len B'stard said:

Guns n Roses are built on a back catalogue, thats what all the fuss is about, THOSE songs, you think they're gonna come out of the fuckin' traps with new matierial, it'd be suicide.  I mean this is about the bottom line end of the day, money, this band ain't been together for fuckin' ages (and still ain't fully), it's your bad luck as hardcore fans that you've been paying attention to NuGnR cuz the rest of the fuckin' world hasn't so you're sitting here, having listened to the old shit with a smattering of Chi Dem having been toured around since, what, 06, the rest of the world hasn't, in a commercial sense they're back together now, this is ground zero, you think a month in they're suddenly gonna be, in their 50s remember, givin' it all that about 'OK, so we got a new album coming out, blah-di-blah', fuck no. 

Look at the way this is being marketed, look at the troubadour set up, that museum thing, the references to the past, the pictures of those scrubbers in the crusty toilet, this is being marketed to you as the return of THAT OLD THING, and thats what you're gonna get for a good while yet, and remember this is a month in, with a band with whom relations have been pretty fuckin' hairy for the last quarter of a century.  IF you're gonna get new matierial, and I'm saying IF, you should look to hang onto your hats for at least two years or so.  I mean they got a tour going on now right, dates booked?  Whens that ending (i have no idea when that is) but OK, if it's a year, they ain't gonna fuckin' record on the road, sink money into making an album when there's a chance they might not even make it out of the end of the tour as friends.  And then what, another 18 months sticking an album together, IF you're gonna get on...and thats me being seriously fuckin' generous when taking into account how slow this band fuckin' works.  So yeah, point being, IF you are getting new music it ain't gonna be no time soon and the chances are if nothings been announced it's because there ain't shit to be announced.

Van Halen had a new record, Faith No More had a new record after 20 years. 

I think Axl just likes to live thru a scene and come thru at the end and win it. They'll do the best nostalgia tour and best reunion record. But first let's listen to wveryone wons weunion wecord wesky wabbit wont wnow wat wappen wo wim. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Van Halen had a new record, Faith No More had a new record after 20 years. 

I think Axl just likes to live thru a scene and come thru at the end and win it. They'll do the best nostalgia tour and best reunion record. But first let's listen to wveryone wons weunion wecord wesky wabbit wont wnow wat wappen wo wim. 

Yeah but to a band with a broad sort of appeal like GnR, Van Halens and Faith No Mores audience are kinda a lot less broad.  I like to think i know a fair bit of rock music but I'm probably more a sort of mainstream fan in terms of the big rock bands and honestly, i couldn't tell you a single song of Van Halens or Faith No Mores, the demographic is different.

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Yeah, fuckin' hell Axl, get your finger out, it's been a month already, Buckethead would've released 32 different albums of him playing 80 different styles of music with unique hand-drawn artwork for the first 100,000 units by now :lol:  Personalised with his spunk.

A month? Anyone believe that? I think they planing since Izzy started playing with them or Slash turned up at Axl's mansion. Prince wrote Batman soundtrack in two weeks. And put out 6 records in 365 days. And this is just UYI. Slash play the songs in studio. Axl rap like Too $hort on them. 2 weeks. It's just hard rock: riff bridge chorus riff bridge chorus. Then rap about chicks and motorbikes. The file marked Double standards for GNR reunion is growing. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Yeah but to a band with a broad sort of appeal like GnR, Van Halens and Faith No Mores audience are kinda a lot less broad.  I like to think i know a fair bit of rock music but I'm probably more a sort of mainstream fan in terms of the big rock bands and honestly, i couldn't tell you a single song of Van Halens or Faith No Mores, the demographic is different.

GNR are virtually the next VH. 

FNM are probably the most original band of the 90s. 

But yes GNR is just a ballache because they are so big and that brings pressure. Like I said they will want to assess their competition. But live up to the past. Like you said they have hits everyone knows. To come back with quality is not enough? 

From DKOT as a casual fan I just like the record and that's enough. I love Dave's solo Greatest Hits though. But maybe that's enough a solid hard rock record with great playing, showcasing the sound that Slash and Duff bring. Same old Axl, out ta ge me lyrics, ballads abouts about supermodels, a songs about socio psychotic state of bliss. Fuck it just put out the double cd Best of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

GNR are virtually the next VH. 

FNM are probably the most original band of the 90s. 

But yes GNR is just a ballache because they are so big and that brings pressure. Like I said they will want to assess their competition. But live up to the past. Like you said they have hits everyone knows. To come back with quality is not enough? 

From DKOT as a casual fan I just like the record and that's enough. I love Dave's solo Greatest Hits though. But maybe that's enough a solid hard rock record with great playing, showcasing the sound that Slash and Duff bring. Same old Axl, out ta ge me lyrics, ballads abouts about supermodels, a songs about socio psychotic state of bliss. Fuck it just put out the double cd Best of. 

It's enough for Van Halen. I mean it's not enough for me. I think what we're gonna get if anything at all could very well be a kind of best of.

I think Axl has gained some experience with working with older tunes like This I Love and Fortus mentioned the old Slash idea.

A run of the mill hard rock album is not gonna serve the artistic goal if they actually want to make an album that will encapsulate all the influences that can be expressed in a Guns context with this line up.

And so many styles to choose from, we know about a lot of Robin material, and what Josh Freese said about his writing credits on the AAA list, I just think it's a huge advantage to have ideas to work with from different eras and styles and with just the excitement of creating again, if Axl can make the best of all eras album sound coherent enough and it's as good as Chinese with Slash and Duff tunes that make it more Guns and just rock harder I think that's the sweet spot.

"Heady" topics that deal with total destruction, unjust murders and shit like that have a place. A few fun rock songs, some Soulmonster moments, and a few ballads. Basically go for a White Album sort of thing if you can get Izzy to be a part of it like you said, or make it like a combination of UYI and Chinese but Axl will need to thematically tie it all together as you say.

Makes you really wish for selfish things like CD ll fully leaked. I think about it sitting there in the dark. All completed and shit.

But it was always a melting pot of ideas musically with a wink to UYI in some songs and even Appetite in a way. Lyrics, production, and deciding on what will be the main musical direction and goal could be challenging. Sometimes it's better to just start over cause that could totally fail, but perhaps Axl's got a plan.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Guns n Roses are built on a back catalogue, thats what all the fuss is about, THOSE songs, you think they're gonna come out of the fuckin' traps with new matierial, it'd be suicide.  I mean this is about the bottom line end of the day, money, this band ain't been together for fuckin' ages (and still ain't fully), it's your bad luck as hardcore fans that you've been paying attention to NuGnR cuz the rest of the fuckin' world hasn't so you're sitting here, having listened to the old shit with a smattering of Chi Dem having been toured around since, what, 06, the rest of the world hasn't, in a commercial sense they're back together now, this is ground zero, you think a month in they're suddenly gonna be, in their 50s remember, givin' it all that about 'OK, so we got a new album coming out, blah-di-blah', fuck no. 

Look at the way this is being marketed, look at the troubadour set up, that museum thing, the references to the past, the pictures of those scrubbers in the crusty toilet, this is being marketed to you as the return of THAT OLD THING, and thats what you're gonna get for a good while yet, and remember this is a month in, with a band with whom relations have been pretty fuckin' hairy for the last quarter of a century.  IF you're gonna get new matierial, and I'm saying IF, you should look to hang onto your hats for at least two years or so.  I mean they got a tour going on now right, dates booked?  Whens that ending (i have no idea when that is) but OK, if it's a year, they ain't gonna fuckin' record on the road, sink money into making an album when there's a chance they might not even make it out of the end of the tour as friends.  And then what, another 18 months sticking an album together, IF you're gonna get on...and thats me being seriously fuckin' generous when taking into account how slow this band fuckin' works.  So yeah, point being, IF you are getting new music it ain't gonna be no time soon and the chances are if nothings been announced it's because there ain't shit to be announced.

Unfortunately you are correct.

41 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's enough for Van Halen. I mean it's not enough for me. I think what we're gonna get if anything at all could very well be a kind of best of.

I think Axl has gained some experience with working with older tunes like This I Love and Fortus mentioned the old Slash idea.

A run of the mill hard rock album is not gonna serve the artistic goal if they actually want to make an album that will encapsulate all the influences that can be expressed in a Guns context with this line up.

And so many styles to choose from, we know about a lot of Robin material, but just what Josh Freese said about his writing credits on the AAA list, I just think it's a huge advantage to have ideas to work with from different eras and styles and with just the excitement of creating again, if Axl can make the best of all eras album sound coherent enough and it's as good as Chinese with Slash and Duff tunes that make it more Guns and just rock harder I think that's the sweet spot.

"Heady" topics that deal with total destruction, unjust murders and shit like that have a place. A few fun rock songs, some Soulmonster moments, and a few ballads. Basically go for a White Album sort of thing if you can get Izzy to be a part of it like you said, or make it like a combination of UYI and Chinese but Axl will need to thematically tie it all together as you say.

Makes you really wish for selfish things like CD ll fully leaked. Oh yeah. I think about it sitting there in the dark. All completed and shit.

But it was always a melting pot of ideas musically with a wink and a nod to UYI in some songs and even Appetite in a way. Lyrics, production, and deciding on what will be the main musical direction and goal could be challenging. Sometimes it's better to just start over cause that could totally fail, but perhaps Axl's got a plan.

CD II is done and there's 3 albums of material. 

We would hear if Slash went into studio for GNR? 

15 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Or the band could just get together and see what naturally comes out during jamming and writing sessions. 

I wonder what style comes out if this were the case? 

Velvet Revolver part 3? I'm ok with that. 

Maybe Axl wants to shelve CD2 and add it to the ever growing stack of 'to do's' and start fresh. ACDC has him inspired and pissed off. 

12 tracks. Balls to the wall. She builds quick machines production but you could be mine attitude. Let's play ball.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sprite said:

lol no. No he hasn't.  I'm old enough to remember when Trans  came out. I even saw the tour. People were beyond baffled by that shit.

1 minute ago, bigpoop said:

lol no. No he hasn't.  I'm old enough to remember when Trans  came out. I even saw the tour. People were beyond baffled by that shit.

Neil went from electronica to fifties revivalism, from country to blues, in the space of about eight years. Even during his '70s heyday he switched, moving between grungy jam albums with Crazy Horse, to country-rock songwritery albums like Harvest and Comes A Time. And in his old age he occasionally does those odd albums like Are You Passionate? (Stax soul).