Axl and the lack of new material

What's Slash doing at the moment? I've seen no postings from the Conspirators guys about being in the studio to start on that album and I can't imagine Slash would just be sitting around waiting for Axl to finish with AC/DC. I would not be in any way suprised if he and Duff are working on Guns material right now just because Slash NEVER stops working and currently nothing is going on with SMKC...

• Like 1

On 14 May 2016 at 6:31 AM, wasted said:

But that would mean the partnership that Axl, Slash and Duff formed after Izzy and Steven gone wasn't GNR? 

Basically I think Slash and Duff could have stayed. Laying it off on the technicality of who has the name is weak. Seriously they just wasted 23 years on this name bullshit? 

No no, 23 years was wasted because Axl was an absolute douchebag.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

My understanding of it is that the partnership of Axl, Slash and Duff was the same legal entity as the partnership of Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven. Just that they had to redraw up the contracts and papers each time a partner left the partnership.  Voting rights and such had to be readjusted  (and Axl tacking on the acknowledgement that he owned the name and if he was kicked out of GNR or decided to leave he took the name with him). From the legal stand point that GNR was the same legal entity as the one Izzy and Steven were in. From a fan and music stand point everyone has their own happy opinions. 

But then Axl taking the name was a part of that legal entity and therefore as valid as it being GNR?

it's like we want to pick and choose which parts suit us but there's always these contradiction. 

As a fan you have to make a more subjective decision I guess. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

No no, 23 years was wasted because Axl was an absolute douchebag.

Weren't they all?

The whole thing is like A Scanner Darkly. In the end the blue flowers or a Bud ad make you reassess everything. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think they could do a soundtrack song and introduce it at these shows at a minimum. Do people really just want to see a legacy show?

Yes!

Most of the audience would probably be indifferent to new material. I saw that at the Eagles show for Long Road out of Eden. Soul crushing. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wasted said:

Yes!

Most of the audience would probably be indifferent to new material. I saw that at the Eagles show for Long Road out of Eden. Soul crushing. 

One of the reasons I like Neil Young is his refusal to become an outright legacy act through the reason of studio albums and introduction of new material into his setlists.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Weren't they all?

The whole thing is like A Scanner Darkly. In the end the blue flowers or a Bud ad make you reassess everything. 

They may have all been cunts to eachother, but in the 23 years post breakup, Slash and Duff were out playing and making music, making millions, whereas Axl was pissing away money, holding grudges and acting like a bollocks.

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One of the reasons I like Neil Young is his refusal to become an outright legacy act through the reason of studio albums and introduction of new material into his setlists.

That's what Neil fans want? Same as Dylan or Bruce, it's almost just about them.

I think Guns might be about the songs. It's So Easy is a classic, Shotgun Blues just isn't the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philipm787 said:

They may have all been cunts to eachother, but in the 23 years post breakup, Slash and Duff were out playing and making music, making millions, whereas Axl was pissing away money, holding grudges and acting like a bollocks.

I think that is ultimately a one sided view of things. 

• Like 2

On May 13, 2016 at 7:38 PM, DieselDaisy said:

So let's summarise this conversation,

We have W. Axl Rose saying he quit Guns N' Roses: ''I'd left...'' (MyGNR, 12/14/08). We have a legal document from Axl saying he is quitting Guns N' Roses: ''I will withdraw from the partnership'' (Slash & Duff v. Axl lawsuit document, 2004). We also have Slash confirming Axl's departure: ''Axl sent a letter on August 31, 1995, saying that he was leaving the band'' (Autobiography). We even know the date of Axl's departure (30th December 1995).

Yet Axl did not quit Guns N' Roses. Why? Rovim says so.

A letter of intend saying you are leaving doesnt mean you are actually leaving.

Its just like putting in your two weeks notice at a job,  then taking it back a few days later.  That doesnt mean you quit your job.

• Like 1

Just now, gnfnr2k said:

A letter of intend saying you are leaving doesnt mean you are actually leaving.

Its just like putting in your two weeks notice at a job,  then taking it back a few days later.  That doesnt mean you quit your job.

It means he quit GN'R and GN'R folded by the terms of the partnership agreement (which states that if a member quits, the band folds). However much people dress it up, this is unequivocal fact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think that is ultimately a one sided view of things. 

Enough logic from you today!

They need a boogie man though to support their idea of what happened to guns n roses. I mean they must like something about Axl because they post here everyday. Maybe it's a coping mechanism. It makes the 'what could have been' pill easier to swallow when you just verbally defecate around the forum "Axl is a douche". Never heard that before!!

9 hours ago, wasted said:

Yes!

That's the world we live in now... and what I meant by "there's a lack of incentives (not just financial, but recognition and/or audience reception) for new music."

Popular music is now unfortunately restricted in its promotion capacity (with the former mediums that bonded the listening audience... the CD/record, radio, MTV, etc.) shadows of what they once were... so unfortunately for many legendary bands of the past, Guns N' Roses included, new music probably won't reach that great of an audience past the die-hard fans... in result, new music will have to cross hurdles in its creation given factors including a lukewarm response at live shows in front of those largely there for the nostalgia.

This is not a Guns N' Roses problem, but rather a problem across music now under a system that incentives tours on past glories and de-incentives new material for established artists. Not saying that this precludes new music from being created, just that it adds a hurdle probably.

Edited by Madagascar88

I really dont mind this lack of new music. Because usually (u see that in many bands) the new music isnt so great, coolest, better, etc than the first albums.... and really, some the die hard fans and some of ocasional fans want new music not the entire world like in 90's. Thats not good to sales (idk if that is important 4 GNR).

You dont see Metallica releasing a special edition box of Garage Inc too... 

You know, GnR was giant in the 88 to 94. More or less... i think GnR have to exploit his best historic material. Nothing more. GnR have to work in restoring tapes, remix audios from the best sources... etc etc. 

But. What GNR wants??? Absolutly i dont fkn know... no fkn clue.

8 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

It's the truth. Or was it Axl that was out making tonnes of new music, and yearly, brilliant gigs? I didn't think so.

That's not what you said and brilliant is subjective. It's more the negative on Axl that I disagree on. And the everything Slash and Duff do is unquestionably awesome. The victims, the drug survivors with the hearts of gold. Gimme a break. The opinion is too black and white. And is basically just the media angle, the scandal story. After 20 years we know it's a lttle different to that, the WWF style feud was detrimental to anything Axl was trying to do. But I think over the years Axl's side has crept through and the hostility from media softened and Axl got some credit for CD and the 3 hour shows. If what Axl supposedly did was so terrible, why are Slash and Duff back? Why are they playing CD songs? It seems like it was a big misunderstanding. Slash and Duff have owned their side of things so I don't see the point in going back to year 2000 mentality, even the media have dropped it, fans shouldn't promoting this stuff. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Madagascar88 said:

That's the world we live in now... and what I meant by "there's a lack of incentives (not just financial, but recognition and/or audience reception) for new music."

Popular music is now unfortunately restricted in its promotion capacity (with the former mediums that bonded the listening audience... the CD/record, radio, MTV, etc.) shadows of what they once were... so unfortunately for many legendary bands of the past, Guns N' Roses included, new music probably won't reach that great of an audience past the die-hard fans... in result, new music will have to cross hurdles in its creation given factors including a lukewarm response at live shows in front of those largely there for the nostalgia.

This is not a Guns N' Roses problem, but rather a problem across music now under a system that incentives tours on past glories and de-incentives new material for established artists. Not saying that this precludes new music from being created, just that it adds a hurdle probably.

Yes I agree. What I can't work out is why. Is it because the dye was set by those bands being so visible on mtv and having hits that it created a pop rock audience that isn't quite the same as the 70s fans. 

70s dudes like Neil Young are all about the music, but a lot of 80s bands were about hits. GNR were both in my opinion, and they didn't play along or create the aituation. 

So the audience has changed. We want hit songs. So new music doesn't matter. It's a totally retro mind state which really started going mainstream in the 90s. Movie history, rock history. 

For kid coming up they can buy 10 new artists or they can get the hits of rock the last 50 years that will blow their mind. It's just so rich. In that way it's time to move on. There's enough great rock and movies to last a lifetime. There's no big cause to fight for, it's just for fun. Even rock n roll has been saved numerous times. 

Buy a phone, go online, hope you don't get blown up by a terrorist when you go see Batman 8. 

• Like 1

I would have liked Guns to follow a Neil Youngesque/Tom Pettyesque/Springsteen path and constantly put out albums - one per year - and ditched static setlists and cheesy videos; there would have been no skeleton t-shirts also which, in my opinion aligns them with the truly horrendous heavy metal genre. They had a guy in the band who had this style, Izzy, but he became ostracised in the band dynamic (Axl n' Slosh) and eventually left to pursue better things, better that is than swimming with dolphins or soloing on cliff tops.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would have liked Guns to follow a Neil Youngesque/Tom Pettyesque/Springsteen path and constantly put out albums - one per year - and ditched static setlists and cheesy videos; there would have been no skeleton t-shirts also which, in my opinion aligns them with the truly horrendous heavy metal genre. They had a guy in the band who had this style, Izzy, but he became ostracised in the band dynamic (Axl n' Slosh) and eventually left to pursue better things, better that is than swimming with dolphins or soloing on cliff tops.

Izzy is more like Neil Young that way. Not Guns. Metal is a part of the Gn'R sound. It is not quite metal, but Slash brings his own fuck yeah attitude. Kinda like it's punkish cause of Duff. Izzy creates and does not perform live on his own.

He bangs an album out like it's nothing and it always says something cool. Axl released one that he tinkered with for years. Slash doesn't care about quality on his own.

I don't believe Axl will fire Richard. He's too loyal and if what DJ said is true and he was offered to stay in Guns, you get the picture.

I'd say the ideal situation would be Izzy continuing to release solo albums and also write with Guns or for Guns at least. He should be invited to play with them if he's not insulted by whatever the fuck happened there, but like I said, they needed a lead player and a bass player. Not a rhythm player.

Edited by Rovim

The money is just elsewhere. Call of Duty has 50 million pre-orders. But the the middleman has his feet in cement now. Facebook, apps it's all advertising clicks. If you haven't got a click you ain't worth shit. 

So a GNR app where you have to click on the songs is going to make more money than a cd. 

Looks like I just saved rock n roll.