Metallica/GnR Tour: Did GnR blow it?

1 minute ago, Silverburst80 said:

I don't know i think Metallica played their part and to a lesser extent the other 3 in the "big 4". Gnr were brothers in arms with those bands in the beginning and well respected in the thrash scene which was starting to be a more popular scene.

Hair Metal was dong just fine until Appetite came along and persisted through several albums by all those bands you are referring to.  GnR perfected what the whole hair metal scene was trying to do.  Metallica and other were a different genre.  Once GnR came along, it was over and done bc they are the ones who truely exposed the scene for what it was, not the speed metal/thrash bands.  

On 6/3/2016 at 6:20 AM, tsinindy said:

Of course you're wrong, mainly bc you weren't there.  Metallica consistently destroyed GnR on that specific tour.  What James said is totally on point, other than Metallica having a "lean" set list.  They played the same basic set they had been playing since they started touring in support of the black album.  

The audience at these shows was 1/4 hardcore Met fans, 1/4 hardcore GnR fans and 50% casual metal fans and chics, etc that had no real allegiance to either band.

Met came out night in and night out and won a lot of the 50% over with no bullshit, GnR did not.

I was there in 1992 at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis and trust me GnR was not nearly as awe-inspiring as they were just one year prior.  Metallica was every bit as good  as every other time I had seen them to that point which was 5-6.

if you think Metallica wasn't in GnR's league you need to reconsider that, bc that tour specifically and GnR's immediate demise was the second biggest factor in Metallica becoming the biggest band on the planet once GnR completely vacated the scene a year later.

This is awesome. Thanks for the retrospective. Do you think Guns lost a step on stage due to the absence of Izzy Stradlin' (the band members depleting factor) or was it more of a case of a band just losing touch with what the public wanted? 

On 6/3/2016 at 0:28 PM, Blackstar said:

On 6/4/2016 at 6:48 PM, paranoyd androyd said:

100% accurate statement and i was a much bigger GNR fan than Metallica. there's no doubt Axl felt a ton of jealousy and anger during/after the Metallica tour. also, Slash was a huge Metallica fan back then so who knows if that might've bothered Axl as well.

So if he was so upset, you'd think he would do something to change things. It's noted that a number of times he would rant on stage about the audience not being into it enough (wonder what he thought of Coachella!). Night after night he'd play to a low energy crowd. It's amazing that a seasoned frontman like him wouldn't figure it the fuck out quick -- especially with the press ripping them a new one after every gig.

12 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

1. Jim Breuer  sucks.

2. As bloated as GNR was at the time, or how either band was recieved, GNR imploded, regardless  of this tour. If GNR had made a  album in 1995, 1996, they would have been in the same boat as AC/DC, Van Halen and Aerosmith. They would have weathered the grunge era and no one would have cared about the Metallica tour.

I don't know about that. I was in 9th grade in '96, nobody was talking about GnR. I had a few friends who were still grunge holdovers/cobain devotees (that scene was pretty much dead) and some who were metallica fans but I knew of no one in my circle who knew or cared about GnR. It was like they fell off the earth by that point. Most of my age group were moving into nu-metal and hip hop. The only older band that was really relevant that I can recall back then was NIN and RHCP. The scene had changed so much, it's hard to imagine a traditional GnR album or a UYI 3 connecting with a mass audience. The Spaghetti Incident only went 1x platinum and that was released when GnR were still the biggest band in the world. 

That being said, had the old band released something in '99 or 2000, I think it could have been a blockbuster -- the mood was right for that kind of music again.

22 hours ago, EvanG said:

Maybe for some, but most people will still give Metallica a lot more respect than Axl Rose. And even though most won't agree with the Lars-Napster thing, they at least understand the principle that was at stake.

What a coincidence.

10 hours ago, bigpoop said:

They were bloated with back up chicks and keyboard dudes. Metallica was just four guys kicking ass.

Funny, now Metallica are just four chicks sucking ass.

• Like 1

Just now, RONIN said:

So if he was so upset, you'd think he would do something to change things. It's noted that a number of times he would rant on stage about the audience not being into it enough (wonder what he thought of Coachella!). Night after night he'd play to a low energy crowd. It's amazing that a seasoned frontman like him wouldn't figure it the fuck out quick -- especially with the press ripping them a new one after every gig.

I don't know about that. I was in 9th grade in '96, nobody was talking about GnR. I had a few friends who were still grunge holdovers/cobain devotees (that scene was pretty much dead) and some who were metallica fans but I knew of no one in my circle who knew or cared about GnR. It was like they fell off the earth by that point. Most of my age group were moving into nu-metal and hip hop. The only older band that was really relevant that I can recall back then was NIN and RHCP. The scene had changed so much, it's hard to imagine a traditional GnR album or a UYI 3 connecting with a mass audience. The Spaghetti Incident only went 1x platinum and that was released when GnR were still the biggest band in the world. 

That being said, had the old band released something in '99 or 2000, I think it could have been a blockbuster -- the mood was right for that kind of music again.

I was also in high school and yes, people in my age group listened to NIN, The Smashing  Pumpkins, etc. That said, bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc. were  still selling out arenas  and releasing platinum  albums. GN'R would have been in the same boat, not as big as they were a few years earlier, but still popular  act. Poison were playing arenas in 1999.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RONIN said:

This is awesome. Thanks for the retrospective. Do you think Guns lost a step on stage due to the absence of Izzy Stradlin' (the band members depleting factor) or was it more of a case of a band just losing touch with what the public wanted? 

I honestly think the main issue on this specific tour is they had to follow Metallica and they followed them by being extremely late.  It isn't that GnR wasn't good on this tour, because they were, but the deck was stacked against them especially if they thought they could dick around for a couple of hours and then come out and try to win people over after what metallica did, that just wasn't going to work.

• Like 2

You can't even compare. Apart from a period during the AfD years, Metallica have always done things on a different level to GNR. I used to want Guns to come back and surpass them, but now I know that is never going to happen. These bands are two different animals. You've just got to realise and accept that the dysfunction is part of GNR. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2016 at 8:45 AM, tsinindy said:

I honestly think the main issue on this specific tour is they had to follow Metallica and they followed them by being extremely late.  It isn't that GnR wasn't good on this tour, because they were, but the deck was stacked against them especially if they thought they could dick around for a couple of hours and then come out and try to win people over after what metallica did, that just wasn't going to work.

Spot on! First time posting, but I've been lurking this site about a month now, and you know your shit. Another point to add to this. Most of the people that I knew that were Metallica fans didn't like GnR or more so Axl because of all of the stuff they had heard about him. I tell ya, with all the arguing I did with these guys, I earned my stripes as a GnR fan. Axl at times, but mainly the media bullshit never made it easy. Anyway, IMO this tour was a bad idea. The styles of the two bands are too different as are the taste of the fans. Once again, ALLOT of Metallica fans didn't give a rats ass about GnR. Much to my demise.

On 6/5/2016 at 10:03 AM, Babooshka said:

You can't even compare. Apart from a period during the AfD years, Metallica have always done things on a different level to GNR. I used to want Guns to come back and surpass them, but now I know that is never going to happen. These bands are two different animals. You've just got to realise and accept that the dysfunction is part of GNR. 

Never say never.

I saw them both at 3 rivers stadium pittsburgh in 92, it was a great show both bands were great. LOL Jim Breur doesnt have a clue, the tour wasnt 89 and the Black album was out. Before you comment no what your saying assfuck.