Metallica/GnR Tour: Did GnR blow it?

Just now, Rovim said:

Yes. Next non-relevant question please.

Oh it's very relevant bc you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about and before I assumed you were younger, I asked figuring that was the reason...now go on back to YouTube and try to educate yourself on some 54 second clips of drunk dudes fucking around.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Oh it's very relevant bc you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about and before I assumed you were younger, I asked figuring that was the reason...now go on back to YouTube and try to educate yourself on some 54 second clips of drunk dudes fucking around.

I came unprepared, I apologize. Your vast knowledge was something that took me by complete surprise. Back to YouTube I suppose.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Well the show I was at in Orlando, FL in September 1992, Metallica was booed off the stage not once but twice, cut their set short. It was about 95 degrees at 9 pm when Guns came out, crowd was ticked off and throwing stuff at the stage for over an hour in between sets. I thought it was prime for another disaster. But they came out and destroyed for close to 3 hours in the heat. But nobody wants to give them credit for saving what could have been disastorous. I mentioned this to Duff one time during an online chat, said he vaguely remembered it, but was gracious and not willing to bad mouth anyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Whatever else anyone can say, Metallica on the Black Album Tour was one of the tightest greatest live bands there ever was.

The Justice tour was way better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I came unprepared, I apologize. Your vast knowledge was something that took me by complete surprise. Back to YouTube I suppose.

Yep, didn't take much for your douchebaggery to kick in.

15 minutes ago, cspalding22 said:

Well the show I was at in Orlando, FL in September 1992, Metallica was booed off the stage not once but twice, cut their set short. It was about 95 degrees at 9 pm when Guns came out, crowd was ticked off and throwing stuff at the stage for over an hour in between sets. I thought it was prime for another disaster. But they came out and destroyed for close to 3 hours in the heat. But nobody wants to give them credit for saving what could have been disastorous. I mentioned this to Duff one time during an online chat, said he vaguely remembered it, but was gracious and not willing to bad mouth anyone.

Maybe all of Metallicas fans were still in jail from their March show in Orlando....

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-03-25/news/9203250749_1_metallica-arena-record-usher

And in all fairness you should maybe have included the fact that this is one of the shows that James didn't play guitar at due to his injury....and their set wasn't cut short according to what I've been reading, but you were there, so I'm sure you'd know :)

Edited by tsinindy

5 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

My only complaint about that tour is that it didn't come to fucking Chicago! 

Dah, quit your bitching!  That's about the only tour Indy got that Chicago didn't!

Edited by tsinindy

The biggest tour of the summer and it didn't come to the third biggest city in the country because of some soccer tourney at Soldier Field supposedly. It's all good, i saw the Guns show in Rosemont that and Metallica twice on that tour...just would've been nice to see them on the same night. 

• Like 1

I've seen modern day GnR and Metallica and both are phenomenal live

I was at the Kill Em All secret set a few years back and it's the most insane gig I've been to in terms of insane crowd. GNR is still my favorite, but it's no diss to Metallicas  current show

Of all the bands I've seen, I'd say the only one that rivals Metallica live is Iron Maiden.

I wish I was at the Seattle 1989 show. That thing was probably the best gig ever played by any band.

Edited by HorusRa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I've seen modern day GnR and Metallica and both are phenomenal live

I was at the Kill Em All secret set a few years back and it's the most insane gig I've been to in terms of insane crowd. GNR is still my favorite, but it's no diss to Metallicas  current show

We all have our opinions, but i saw them at Bonnaroo 8 years ago and once on the Death Magnetic tour and I just wasnt impressed anymore. I'm a massive fan of the first four albums, and don't hate the Black album, but bands get older and lose their power. 

3 hours ago, GoBucky said:

The Justice tour was way better.

I saw them with the Cult at Weedsport NY July 89. It was absolutely fuckin nuts. I rank it the 3rd best show I've ever seen (behind Guns Weedsport '88 & Saratoga '91)....

Also saw Metallica with GnR & FNM, and an Evening with Metallica (black album tour- no opener). Awesome shows but no where near as the incredible raw energy of that Damaged Justice show...

I wouldn't say Metallica destroyed them.  Just two headliners (there was an opening act too wasn't there?) is too much for one evening.  I mean sitting there for six hours or longer plus the late times was not conducive to a good atmosphere.  The tour was a bad idea to begin with.

5 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

I just think GNR were way too out of control to be co-headlining with anyone at the time. If GNR and Metallica co-headlined now, they'd get along fine. 

Plus there was a clip of Hetfield reading the GNR rider and he went "you don't want to read our rider", because James is sober and it's probably all health foods and tea backstage. I'm sure Hetfield's shocked that Axl/DC is proving to be a success and is being a good bandmate. 

Hetfield hated Sunset Strip bands in general back in the day and he lumped GNR in. 

Hetfield can never mock any one again after Some Kind of Monster. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HorusRa said:

Of all the bands I've seen, I'd say the only one that rivals Metallica live is Iron Maiden.

I wish I was at the Seattle 1989 show. That thing was probably the best gig ever played by any band.

I kind of feel the same way.Been going to shows for 30 years now and those are two of my favorites.I like Pearl Jam live a lot as well.You always get a different show ,even if you go on consecutive nights and they play with great energy and for 3 plus hours 

saw them together in Oakland for a 'Day On The Green' show in '92 and it was the last time i saw GNR live for good reason. Metallica was significantly better than them that day, but that's not too surprising thinking back since Metallica was/is worshiped anywhere near San Francisco. they were always hanging around on Haight Street back then and had seemingly endless amounts of groupies.

vivid memory i still have was of people tearing up the field and throwing it at each other and the stage. vaguely remember some drama with Axl, but can't recall the specifics.. perhaps something to do with the sound. or maybe Axl was pissed GNR didn't have the crowd, who knows. i just remember thinking they weren't anywhere near as good as when i saw them before. and when they came around again in '93 i didn't want to see them. in retrospect, they were better in '93 but who would've known at that point.

anyway, GNR was at its best opening for Aerosmith in '88 and i also really enjoyed seeing them with The Stones in L.A. in '89.

seeing them in '91 at a tiny SF venue before UYI was released was a totally insane vibe mainly because of the secret nature of the show. they were excellent later that year too.

I saw FNM/Metallica/GNR at Giants Stadium in 92. FNM got booed off the stage. Metallica sounded awesome! I became a fan of theirs after this concert. GNR was good, but wasn't as good as Metallica that night (this is coming from a hardcore GNR fan).  I never thought that it would take 24 years to see Axl & Slash again.